18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

What are the current ammo sale restrictions?

unfortunate

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
8
I know that at one time, ammo sales all had to go through a dealer - similar to how firearms were for a while before that.

I feel like I remember a court case that undid that, but... google isn't giving me enough info to say for sure.

I have a good bit of ammo in calibers that I don't really shoot, and I'd like to free up space and money. Do I need to do it through an FFL, or is it back to how it was a decade ago? I haven't bought ammo in that long, haven't been shooting enough.

Thanks for the help.
 
Yes, you have to go though a FFL and you're only allowed to sell 500 rounds in 30 days. Sucks but that's the law as it stands.

Matt
 
Yikes. That means it'll take quite a long time to sell off the stuff I'm not using.

Thanks for the answer, not that it's what I wanted to hear.
 
Yikes. That means it'll take quite a long time to sell off the stuff I'm not using.

Thanks for the answer, not that it's what I wanted to hear.

I didn't want to state it either but just trying to keep all of us legit. You can also sell to a FFL03/COE holder as well which does not require going to a store because they have the FFL themselves.

Matt
 
I really can't understand not being allowed to sell a 525rd "value pack" of 22LR that cost me $20ish once a month, but I guess that's the law.

Any issues with me taking it out of state, and seling it there, to people who are not going to bring it back to CA?
 
I really can't understand not being allowed to sell a 525rd "value pack" of 22LR that cost me $20ish once a month, but I guess that's the law.

Any issues with me taking it out of state, and seling it there, to people who are not going to bring it back to CA?
No issue there.
Not sure if the limit stands if dealing with FFL03 with COE.
What are you trying to offload?
 
Wait do you have to do an ammo "ppt" like you do with guns when selling ammo to an individual?
 
I heard it on the grapevine about 4 years ago... I don't know if it is true or if anything has changed over time.
There is no place in the system to enter the sellers information when doing an ammo transfer.
Supposedly, only the buyer's side of the transaction is entered.

As always, make sure you stay within the law.
 
So far no restrictions outside of California.

So far no ammo searches at CA agri inspection lanes.

Remember that book, "Three felonies a day"? Seems every aspect of human behavior is regulated in this state.
 
If making money isn't a concern, you can always give it away face to face, without going through a FFL, as long as you take reasonable care in not giving it to a prohibited person (in other words, you can give it away to friends, family, shooting buddies, etc.)
 
If making money isn't a concern, you can always give it away face to face, without going through a FFL, as long as you take reasonable care in not giving it to a prohibited person (in other words, you can give it away to friends, family, shooting buddies, etc.)
That is still a transfer, and illegal.

On the other hand, F- em. I like my ammo deals like I like my tamales. Paid for in cash on street corners out of the trunk of a car.
 
That is still a transfer, and illegal.
No, it's completely legal, and an intended function of Prop 63. See post for explanation.

So for example, if I wanted to gift 10,000 rounds of .223 to my good Californian shooting friend for their birthday (That must be one REALLY GREAT shooting friend), as long as I did so face to face, and as long as I didn't have knowledge that would lead me to believe that they were a prohibited person, then that would be completely legal.
 
Do the new laws affect reloading components at all or can we stop order primers/bullets/powder to our door?
 
Back
Top Bottom