By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
Agreed, swallowing your pride and de-escalating whenever possible or running away is much much cheaper and easier than the fallout of a self defense shooting or even just having to draw your firearm. The cost, the stress, and the potential for a criminal charge by a hostile DA is not worth it.Two things happened 15 years ago.
I lived in Houston, not so nice neighborhood. Was paying $515 for a 2 br…
Needed a new fridge, lost my job in the aftermath of Great Recession, would game all night and sleep til 12-1 PM.
I wake up to huge noise. Front door had a metal gate.
Grab my G17 from under my pillow, look out peep hole. See two raggedy dressed guys, in wifebeaters and beans, with a crow bar, trying to pry open the door.
Expletives drop, I pop open the front door, chain on, G17 drawn, tell them get the F- outta here, or I’ll shoot.
They say hey man, so and so sent us. The landlord. We’re here to deliver your fridge. Jenny at the office told us, if nobody seemed home, just break the door, install the fridge…
They drop the crowbars.
I call the maintenance office, sure enough, their story checked out. The front desk gal told these two fellows, if nobody answers, break in….
They come inside, it’s HOT July day. First guy is laughing his ass off. “If we had two more minutes, we would’ve made it in”
I’m thinking to myself, if I would’ve slept in my room, rather than the living room couch that day, I may not have heard the fracas at the door. I may have seen two guys in tattered jeans, covered in grease, tanned leathery skin, with crowbars, inside my home.
A few days later I’m checking out shades at a Walmart. I call my then girlfriend, say hey, these look really good, I think you’ll like them. Can’t wait to see you later.
7-8 feet away, a mid 20s seeming tweaker, starts approaching me and accuses me of catcalling her.
Says that I called her baby and told her I wanted to see her later, that I better watch my a$$, her boyfriend was gonna be here soon. I start trying to make my way the hell out of there…
I see her run to the lobby area of the place, and see a shirtless guy, tribal tattoo, in sweats, pull up on a bike. Seems like he has a pointy stabby in his pocket. They’re hanging out at the door. I linger at the McDonalds near the entrance for 40 mins, hoping, praying, they go away.
Walking outside, I’m thinking to myself, this is gonna be the day…
I walk right past them, hand on it, nothing happened. Run my ass to the car, was a ‘92 Corolla, drive home.
What changed?
Now I look for every single opportunity to ignore, de-escalate, apologize, and find a way out.
I look back at these two very close calls and realize even if I was “right,” the stress and legal fees would have placed me on a totally different trajectory. Being in the papers, news, having PTSD, etc.
I’m thankful that those have been the only times.
You did the right thing.Never had to draw in a real life situation, but one instance a month into being licensed gave me a solid shake up.
9:30-10pm ish, LA County gas station, popular area, food trucks, folks out and about.. maybe a dozen newer/older muscle cars pull into the gas station. Cars pull all around the lot. One parks behind mine and starts honking. I lower my window and a probably-17-year-old approaches my car from behind tapping a baton in his hand, with 3 of his boys behind him, girls in the other cars having a good time, some cars revving... he goes "MOVE!"
Before he got about 10-12 feet away, still walking my way, I smiled and said "you got it chief" and drove off the lot. I saw another kid in one of the other cars' backseat with a baseball bat staring out of the window.
Immediately called and reported them. Decided being a snitch was a good option in that scenario and one of the best lessons they could get considering other ones. Hope it changes their lives and saves everyone else's.
I will say that having the mentality of if you have to draw you are going to shoot is dangerous. Most self defense encounters involving a firearm are resolved without a shot.What changed, though I haven't ever drawn on someone in soon to be 10 years of CCW, is I subconsciously look for & avoid situations and places that I think could be Trouble. Be it walking, driving, errands, shopping, whatever- places & situations I wouldn't think twice about before. I don't know, but my plan is likely; if I draw, someone is getting shot. I'll not draw it as a warning, for show, it is only for taking care of business as someone has crossed my "threat line". Nor will I engage in talking smack or otherwise verbally or physically escalating anything- quite the opposite. As I age, I can't run & hide, but I would try to create distance if able., and I have no expectation of coming out ahead in hand to hand anything- though it is likely I will hurt them.
Curious on your thinking of what I wrote- agree or disagree- please share.
I agree, if that's the process. I should have made more clear; I decide to fire and then I draw.I will say that having the mentality of if you have to draw you are going to shoot is dangerous. Most self defense encounters involving a firearm are resolved without a shot.
If your first instinct is to shoot when you draw, you may run into the situation of shooting when you don't need to. For example if you felt the need to draw and upon seeing the gun they run and you end up shooting them in the back, it might not be as easily defendable.
I would amend the thought process instead of jumping from concealed to shooting, to drawing and presenting the CCW to the warranted threat and if it continues to then make the conscious decision to fire.I agree, if that's the process. I should have made more clear; I decide to fire and then I draw.
You do you sir, I sincerely hope that doesn't get you shot. Thanks for posting.I would amend the thought process instead of jumping from concealed to shooting, to drawing and presenting the CCW to the warranted threat and if it continues to then make the conscious decision to fire.
Again the reason for this is that no matter how fast you are on the draw, any number of things can happen in between then as the situation is dynamic. Taking the stepwise approach that I recommended allows the extra step for an opportunity for the threat to deescalate, saving you from having to fire, and if you still need to fire then you know for sure right at that second it was indeed justifiable.
It's just a suggestion to keep in mind. Take it or leave it, just trying to help you, as you were the one that asked for feedback.You do you sir, I sincerely hope that doesn't get you shot. Thanks for posting.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!