By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
It is a two part question. For long guns/receivers/not pistols it changed 1/1/2014. For handguns it was before my time and I think I heard 1991.Hi Gunners,
What year did the regs change to mandate registration on parent to child inheritance? 1996? before you just got your Pop's stuff, no paper chase/trail. Very similar to the old Cash & Carry days. Thanks those that remember, PAX
So far as I can determine, 1990-1991, but I have not been able to find the bill that did it.It is a two part question. For long guns/receivers/not pistols it changed 1/1/2014. For handguns it was before my time and I think I heard 1991.
Yes; intrafamilial is a sub-class of 'operation of law'; inter-spouse is another, and inheritance is a third - and there are more instances covered. Instructions on the OPLAW form sayIf a husband or wife dies and the gun was DROS'ed in their name, does their spouse have to do the same thing? Or is this just for children?
And as you can see, they mis-spelled "executor".Operation of Law: Enter the condition under which you obtained the firearm (e.g., as an
executer of an estate, as a trustee in a bankruptcy; as a secured creditor)
Hopefully it's many years away but ya, I'll tell my kids to umm find any convenient stuff they need with my signature.that's why you give your guns away hopefully before you die![]()
You need to be a little more specific. Any long guns should have been given to the eligible relative before 2014. Especially after someone is dead, this makes keeping the story straight much, much easier.that's why you give your guns away hopefully before you die![]()