18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

2011 Open Gun Shops

pewpewfanatic

🛡️ Range Member
Range Member
2026 2 10+ Top
Messages
16
Hi all,

I’ve been participating in uspsa matches and would love to get an open gun. Do you guys have any suggestions on shops in the Los Angeles area down to even SD?
 
Fairly certain you can get Limcats via sse. 2azone likely has the most experience in what you can get here
 
Awesome! Did you go with 9mm major or 38super? Any suggestions as to why you’d go one way or another?
Cost mostly. Most serious open shooters also reload their own ammo given how finicky major PF ammo can be to balance between being hot enough to chrono but not so hot it unnecessarily beats up your gun or blows it up.

Open guns are the mad science equivalent where they’re almost a different breed of unique with their frame mounted optics, slide rackers, and huge multi port and poppled comps. And their service life and usage is more temperamental as a result.
 
Cost mostly. Most serious open shooters also reload their own ammo given how finicky major PF ammo can be to balance between being hot enough to chrono but not so hot it unnecessarily beats up your gun or blows it up.

Open guns are the mad science equivalent where they’re almost a different breed of unique with their frame mounted optics, slide rackers, and huge multi port and poppled comps. And their service life and usage is more temperamental as a result.
do you think 9mm major does this worse? 38 super you can hit major PF without going over pressure but does the pistol actually care about that?
 
Awesome! Did you go with 9mm major or 38super? Any suggestions as to why you’d go one way or another?
I converted my Limcat from 38super to 9major back in November. It had to do with cost, 38super brass is expensive as hell and I hated being a brass goblin rooting around in the dirt after every stage. With 9major, the brass is essentially free since everyone shoots 9mm. My gun is 33 years old and has been rebuilt at least 5 times.

124gr Precision Delta JHP
7.0gr Winchester Autocomp
Winchester SR Primer
1.160" OAL
 
Hi all,

I’ve been participating in uspsa matches and would love to get an open gun. Do you guys have any suggestions on shops in the Los Angeles area down to even SD?
Talk to the guys at your local matches. I see so many open guns changing hands between the guys at the clubs up here for pretty decent prices!
 
Awesome! Did you go with 9mm major or 38super? Any suggestions as to why you’d go one way or another?
Haven’t got in to open yet but got a wildcat tracker. Julian and Christian Lim shoot at the same club that I do. After talking to them and shooting several models I went with one. For the price compared to others, you get a gun made for YOU. I’m well over 20k rounds on it and the only time I had an issue was with eley ammo 124s that I gauged when I got home and there was some out of spec.
 
I converted my Limcat from 38super to 9major back in November. It had to do with cost, 38super brass is expensive as hell and I hated being a brass goblin rooting around in the dirt after every stage. With 9major, the brass is essentially free since everyone shoots 9mm. My gun is 33 years old and has been rebuilt at least 5 times.

124gr Precision Delta JHP
7.0gr Winchester Autocomp
Winchester SR Primer
1.160" OAL
The closest call I’ve ever seen was a guy picking up 38 super behind some barrels when the ro said make ready😳
 
Haven’t got in to open yet but got a wildcat tracker. Julian and Christian Lim shoot at the same club that I do. After talking to them and shooting several models I went with one. For the price compared to others, you get a gun made for YOU. I’m well over 20k rounds on it and the only time I had an issue was with eley ammo 124s that I gauged when I got home and there was some out of spec.
That’s great insight. Thanks so much!
 
Back
Top Bottom