- Messages
- 548
Do you clean the lube off after resizing or after they are complete? If you clean after they are complete how often do you clean your dies?
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
They do get nasty if you leave the lube. Stuff gets everywhere .I dont clean my dies very often. I do clean my brass after resizing just cause. pretty
Sometimes I do that with reloads that are going into storage. I also wear cotton gloves when inserting the rounds into those plastic storage boxes to keep fingerprints from oxidizing the brass.Could always just give finished rounds a quick tumble in corn-cob media.....
1982! Was that also the last time you shot your revolver? Any reason you waited so long?Sometimes I do that with reloads that are going into storage. I also wear cotton gloves when inserting the rounds into those plastic storage boxes to keep fingerprints from oxidizing the brass.
Last week I fired some .38 Special rounds I had loaded in 1982. Using the same revolver (S&W 6” model 28) the measured velocity was a bit less than when initially loaded, but all fifty fired without issue. I’m wondering if the lack of polishing of the interior of the case and primer pocket somehow started to deteriorate the powder (Bullseye) through some very slow chemical reaction…..
I’ve been tumbling de-primed brass for many years now to clean both inside and outside the case to avoid such an issue, if it is even an actual thing. Anyone else experiment or know about this?
My brass is pretty dirty/dusty. I also don’t tumble them for long periods. I don’t care how they look, just need them clean.I don't bother tumbling before processing.
Resize, trim, chamfer, swage primer pocket if needed.
Tumble clean, prime, charge, seat bullet, enjoy.
Caveat - I do it on a single stage.
Do you clean the lube off after resizing or after they are complete? If you clean after they are complete how often do you clean your dies?
I shoot revolvers often enough that I loose track of which is which, including a pair that I took along to the range today. That small leftover batch of .38 Special somehow didn’t make into the rotation schedule, and got shelved behind a batch of components in storage.1982! Was that also the last time you shot your revolver? Any reason you waited so long?