18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

30 year old beretta 92

danieljames

⚜️ Member
CAguns Supporter
Messages
9
Hoping to get some feedback from someone more familiar with it than me. I recently inherited a 30 year old 92FS, I remember going with to pick it up back in the 90's. Recently took it to the range, had one malfunction, couple drops of oil on the slide and it ran perfect. Question is if I should replace any springs or other parts, or just clean it up and enjoy it? Never really got much use over the years, I'd be shocked if round count was over 1000. TIA for any info
 
Most of the springs in the gun are good for 5000 rounds or more.
Time is not a factor in spring life.
 
Just shoot it! No need to replace springs unless you start getting a lot of malfunctions or notice something out of the ordinary in regard to the function of the firearm.
 
I've got an American Inox from about the same time frame. Never an issue in 17 years. The only thing I've done is put a wider trigger to help the "feel". Tried that first instead of a sprig kit, worked great. Here it is with its Italian cousin, Tanfoglio FAB 92 in Wonder finish, nickel. PAX
pair-of-9s.jpg
 
Under normal use, springs do not degrade. That is an old wives tale. I have a semi auto WWI pistol that my father picked up when he was in France during WWII. It was stored for decades with the magazine fully loaded. It runs fine.
 
I have a nearly 40 year old p226 with close to 100k rounds through it and shoots like a champ. Those heavy steel guns from the 80’s are bomb-proof. You won’t wear it out in your lifetime.
If handguns are like everything else nowadays, it was probably built a bit better, with better parts back then
 
I replace springs on any used gun I acquire. I always do the main recoil spring; I'll do others recommended in the maintenance schedule.
 
I would check the locking block and ensure it's the one with the radiused shoulders. It should be, I think that was standard for the FS, but it's worth double checking.
 
Hoping to get some feedback from someone more familiar with it than me. I recently inherited a 30 year old 92FS, I remember going with to pick it up back in the 90's. Recently took it to the range, had one malfunction, couple drops of oil on the slide and it ran perfect. Question is if I should replace any springs or other parts, or just clean it up and enjoy it? Never really got much use over the years, I'd be shocked if round count was over 1000. TIA for any info
I have 2 92 berettas and at about 30 years of age they both need the springs replaced I would send them to the factory for repair
 
Yeah man. It’s pretty cool because I remember going to pick it up with my grandpa in the 90’s, now my kids get to shoot it. Circle of life, lol
I’ve had mine 30 years and adore it. It’ll go to my little brother when I kick off lol
 
Back
Top Bottom