So I went to the range today to practice with my gun for matches (HK VP9A1-F), then zero'd my red dot on my S&W Shield X, then put that against my Glock 43X that I've been carrying...
The HK shoots like a dream. I had some early struggles with it, but changed out to the large side panels and the large backstrap with the beavertail to see how that would better elign my optic on the draw. Oh what a difference that made. The green dot pops right into my view as I'm coming up. The trigger is far superior to my Glocks, and the press is smooth with a crisp break. Just a pure pleasure to shoot.
Then I zero'd the Shield X's Osight SE. I had taken it off for a hot minute because my battery tray came out and flew into the netherworld. I contacted their Customer Service and they sent me a new one easily enough - so I re-atached it. Turns out the Optic was still zero'd from it's previous mounting.
So with the extra time I tried shooting the Shield X versus my gun I'd been carrying, a Glock 43X with a Holosun 507K. (I carried Glocks for 30+ years in LE...). The Shield X outshot the 43X by a significant margin. Better trigger press, and faster dot acquisition due to a lot of time I've put into non-Glock pistols. I could reacquire the dot quicker on the Shield by a wide margin. Also, no dingus digging into my trigger finger - the one on the Smith (and the HK for that matter) aligns flush with the trigger face. I hate that I favor the Shield so much, since I love my Glocks...That said...
I know we're all excited about the 43X, and we should be. It will sell like ice cold lemonade on a 105 degree afternoon. The ergonomics of the slimline Glocks is actually quite good, and they feel good in hand. Glock has amazing reliability and durability and has earned that reputation fair and square. I would say however, check out the Shield X or the Shield X Carry Comp for a CCW weapon if you're not already set on the 43X.
For my carry, I'm going to shift to the Shield X, I'm just a better shot with it. The 43X will go into the safe for a bit, it's alwqays good to have a backup... If the VP9CC comes to town I'll likely go that route. And for a full size gun, the HK smoked the lot of them for trigger press, ergonomics, and handling. (It's like the Grey Poupon of 9mm striker fired guns...)
The HK shoots like a dream. I had some early struggles with it, but changed out to the large side panels and the large backstrap with the beavertail to see how that would better elign my optic on the draw. Oh what a difference that made. The green dot pops right into my view as I'm coming up. The trigger is far superior to my Glocks, and the press is smooth with a crisp break. Just a pure pleasure to shoot.
Then I zero'd the Shield X's Osight SE. I had taken it off for a hot minute because my battery tray came out and flew into the netherworld. I contacted their Customer Service and they sent me a new one easily enough - so I re-atached it. Turns out the Optic was still zero'd from it's previous mounting.
So with the extra time I tried shooting the Shield X versus my gun I'd been carrying, a Glock 43X with a Holosun 507K. (I carried Glocks for 30+ years in LE...). The Shield X outshot the 43X by a significant margin. Better trigger press, and faster dot acquisition due to a lot of time I've put into non-Glock pistols. I could reacquire the dot quicker on the Shield by a wide margin. Also, no dingus digging into my trigger finger - the one on the Smith (and the HK for that matter) aligns flush with the trigger face. I hate that I favor the Shield so much, since I love my Glocks...That said...
I know we're all excited about the 43X, and we should be. It will sell like ice cold lemonade on a 105 degree afternoon. The ergonomics of the slimline Glocks is actually quite good, and they feel good in hand. Glock has amazing reliability and durability and has earned that reputation fair and square. I would say however, check out the Shield X or the Shield X Carry Comp for a CCW weapon if you're not already set on the 43X.
For my carry, I'm going to shift to the Shield X, I'm just a better shot with it. The 43X will go into the safe for a bit, it's alwqays good to have a backup... If the VP9CC comes to town I'll likely go that route. And for a full size gun, the HK smoked the lot of them for trigger press, ergonomics, and handling. (It's like the Grey Poupon of 9mm striker fired guns...)