18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

AB 1948 - 3 Year CCW Bill Signed By Newsom!

Oof, my renewal if 11/1/26. Sounds like I'm going to miss the start of this.
 
I'll take this as a little win but sadly starting September, you have to do livescans for a renewal. They always seem to take stuff away while giving breadcrumbs, if that. I've seen peoples livescans take weeks to months which can delay a renewal and possibly some may have their permits lapse.
September of ‘25 or ‘26?
 
Oof, my renewal if 11/1/26. Sounds like I'm going to miss the start of this.

I am in the same boat as you where I am barely going to miss it. My IA's fees aren't crazy but this would def suck if it was one where you had to do psych and all that.
 
If you don’t mind your permit to lapse you have 90 days after expiration to renew. Apply for renewal around expiration date, get everything completed and submit all on 1/1/27
 
If you don’t mind your permit to lapse you have 90 days after expiration to renew. Apply for renewal around expiration date, get everything completed and submit all on 1/1/27

Interesting idea. I guess i need to contact the San Bernardino County Sheriff to get their position on this. I'd hate to go two months without the ability to carry. And given their history of having certain times when they are severely delayed, it could be longer.
 
Last edited:
This is for sure or pending? Darn I renew this October too
For sure. I renew in July so in the same boat. I suppose they could retroactively extend them after January 1st but I'm not holding my breath.
 
If you don’t mind your permit to lapse you have 90 days after expiration to renew. Apply for renewal around expiration date, get everything completed and submit all on 1/1/27

I feel like this is a major gamble with LAPD. They will drag it out months. This is a smart idea for agency’s that process quickly.
 
The IA is not required to issue 3-year terms under the new statute that will go into effect on January 1; they can stick with 2-year terms or even go shorter if they want.
 
I feel like this is a major gamble with LAPD. They will drag it out months. This is a smart idea for agency’s that process quickly.
I thought LAPD got much better? I had a few guys with LAPD in my renewal class last month, they said things moved swiftly. But yea, IA matters big time.
I won’t have to worry about it, my renewal in August
 
The IA is not required to issue 3-year terms under the new statute that will go into effect on January 1; they can stick with 2-year terms or even go shorter if they want.
I doubt any are going to not step it up to 3, it's all they can do to keep up at 2 years.
 
I thought LAPD got much better? I had a few guys with LAPD in my renewal class last month, they said things moved swiftly. But yea, IA matters big time.
I won’t have to worry about it, my renewal in August
They are getting much better but my LA friend is going on 7 months now for total time, he’s been waiting on the license in the mail for at least 2 weeks
 
They are getting much better but my LA friend is going on 7 months now for total time, he’s been waiting on the license in the mail for at least 2 weeks
Sounds like he forgot to drop off the obligatory large box of donuts. Better get on that...
 
I thought LAPD got much better? I had a few guys with LAPD in my renewal class last month, they said things moved swiftly. But yea, IA matters big time.
I won’t have to worry about it, my renewal in August
They got better but they are still swamped. They make clear on their website start renew process at 90 days or they “can’t guarantee” that they will even process renew before the previous lapses.

Even with that I heard they are still cutting it close to the lapse of previous permit so I just feel like they wouldn’t even attempt to do it in an orderly time if you miss the actual initial renewal instruction…they would just try and blame applicant, but I could be wrong.
 
They got better but they are still swamped. They make clear on their website start renew process at 90 days or they “can’t guarantee” that they will even process renew before the previous lapses.

Even with that I heard they are still cutting it close to the lapse of previous permit so I just feel like they wouldn’t even attempt to do it in an orderly time if you miss the actual initial renewal instruction…they would just try and blame applicant, but I could be wrong.
Better not to gamble then.
 
My IA doesn't even have a renew option on the permitium site. They just state that I can only renew within 90 days of permit expiration. I'm guessing that I have to reach out to them to get a renewal link, which is pretty odd.
 
The IA is not required to issue 3-year terms under the new statute that will go into effect on January 1; they can stick with 2-year terms or even go shorter if they want.
That sounds about right. What IA's cannot do is exceed the current 2-year, soon to be 3 year, expiration.
I think most would follow the new 3-year limit, for several reasons: My experience with LEO's has shown me that the vast majority are 2A supporters (Whether their bosses are is another matter). The entire cert and renewal process is a PITA for them as well, and a 3-year renewal will ease their workload and free up resources. The LASD was (is?) being sued for excess wait times, and one of CRPA's accusations for them, and really all of California, is that the 2-year renewal is overly burdensome and limits said resources. If any IA stuck with the 2-year renewal, it would not look good for them in any potential lawsuit accusing them of unnecessary delays.
 
Back
Top Bottom