18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Add 45 Minutes for TSA "Random" Check

It's probably better to get the Utah or Arizona CCW if you already have a CA CCW. The Arizona one covers 26 states and was minimal. I sat through a live 8 hour class and range qualification at Reno Gun Range since Washoe County is the only one in NV that will give out of state residents a CCW. Getting caught concealed in NV without a CCW is a felony with up to $10k fine and up to 1 year in jailo_O
I have California, our local ccw instructors does utah also.
 
My favorite experience was when they asked for the keys to my gun case so that they could inspect the firearms inside the restricted area. I told them that it was no problem for me to go open the case for them. They said I wasn't allowed in there and demanded that I give them the keys. I told them that if they weren't allowed to escort me to the case, then they weren't authorized to have unrestricted access to my guns. The TSA person didn't take that well and started telling me how he was an authorized law enforcement officer. I explained that he was actually a security guard, and not a sworn and accredited law enforcement officer. Told him that he was welcome to even grab a local PD in the airport, and I would happily give that officer my gun case keys.

So, Paul Blart tells me that I'm being uncooperative and that I am going to miss my flight. I ask for a supervisor. Guy backs down and says to wait in the ticketing area and that they would "hopefully" resolve the issue before I missed my flight. Made me sit there for 45 minutes before they finally said I could go board if my flight hadn't already left. Since I had allocated two and half hours for dealing with idiots at the airport, I was able to board with time to spare.

FAA regs say that you are NOT to give access to your firearm to unauthorized individuals, but they don't define what an authorized person is. So my interpretation is that they need to be sworn law enforcement before I will give them unrestricted access to my guns. No way I'm giving access to a retard who is barely competent to determine if a metal detector audibly beeps.
 
I once had a stupid little pocket knife I forgot about on an international flight and the tsa people spent about 10 minutes arguing about whether or not to let me keep it. Then about 20m later some guy walks up to me at my terminal waiting for the plane and hands it to me 😅
 
My favorite experience was when they asked for the keys to my gun case so that they could inspect the firearms inside the restricted area. I told them that it was no problem for me to go open the case for them. They said I wasn't allowed in there and demanded that I give them the keys. I told them that if they weren't allowed to escort me to the case, then they weren't authorized to have unrestricted access to my guns. The TSA person didn't take that well and started telling me how he was an authorized law enforcement officer. I explained that he was actually a security guard, and not a sworn and accredited law enforcement officer. Told him that he was welcome to even grab a local PD in the airport, and I would happily give that officer my gun case keys.

So, Paul Blart tells me that I'm being uncooperative and that I am going to miss my flight. I ask for a supervisor. Guy backs down and says to wait in the ticketing area and that they would "hopefully" resolve the issue before I missed my flight. Made me sit there for 45 minutes before they finally said I could go board if my flight hadn't already left. Since I had allocated two and half hours for dealing with idiots at the airport, I was able to board with time to spare.

FAA regs say that you are NOT to give access to your firearm to unauthorized individuals, but they don't define what an authorized person is. So my interpretation is that they need to be sworn law enforcement before I will give them unrestricted access to my guns. No way I'm giving access to a retard who is barely competent to determine of a metal detector audibly beeps.
You are 100% correct that we can't give unfettered access of our firearms per the regulations. I took a class 10+ years ago with Brandon Verrett at Vertac and he had a laminated copy of the TSA rules and regulations whenever he traveled. I took a page out of his playbook and have the laminated regulations in my backpack just in case. Just like any other job, your training at TSA is probably as good as whatever supervisor was assigned to you that day.
 
It's probably better to get the Utah or Arizona CCW if you already have a CA CCW. The Arizona one covers 26 states and was minimal. I sat through a live 8 hour class and range qualification at Reno Gun Range since Washoe County is the only one in NV that will give out of state residents a CCW. Getting caught concealed in NV without a CCW is a felony with up to $10k fine and up to 1 year in jailo_O

It’s crazy that a Nevada gun law is so dramatically disproportionately worse than California 😌
 
Complaining about the TSA is valid they cost us billions of dollars and every time the FBI does audits they manage to get weapons and questionable substances on the plane like 70% of the time.

TSA is security theater and a 👨🏻‍🎨 jobs program.

Just makes people feel good I guess. Yay the government did something!
The "security theater" reminds me of an episode of Adam Ruins Everything on TruTV. I think it was 10 years ago but he talks about how much we spend on security and how much is actually missed.
 
Agreed! Carrying concealed in CA is a misdemeanor and a $500 fine?
Negative - A CCW violation in California is a Misdemeanor if there are no aggravating conditions and the weapon is registered to the violator. The max penalty is one year in jail and a $1,000 fine. If the weapon is not registered to the violator, then the violation is a felony with a max penalty of three years.
 
In Nevada you can legally transport a handgun UNCONCEALED and loaded in a car without a permit and open carry is legal as well. If you have a gun, they want to see it apparently.
Texas and Oregon had similar laws when I last lived in those places. You can have a loaded gun just not hidden from sight
 
About a little over 15 years ago, I was waiting to aboard my flight in Hong Kong International to return to SFO. During my trip, I had bought a torch lighter that looked like a miniature revolver in brush gun metal finish, probably about slightly bigger than the size of a trijicon MrO; as a gift to bring back to the states for an uncle who smokes cigars. You pull back the hammer and the torch comes out of the barrel 🤣.

Before flying, I read online that I can just empty the butane, and call it a day for lighters. I did that. I put it in the bottom of the check in luggage. When boarding flight, a supervisor looking lady, along with two guys, stopped us when giving our tickets, she asked if we could come with her. We had to follow them to the bottom of the plane, there was the luggage on a pick up truck bed, with a work light shining on the luggage, and a camcorder recording it. Guess maybe x-ray scanned a figure.

They asked if there were any firearms in the luggage. I said a lighter that I bought that looks like one, and the internet said just remove the butane since it’s a lighter so it’s not a fire hazard. As soon as I said that, they had a shocked kind of reaction. One of the guys removed it, asked me how it works, and he confirmed it wasn’t real; had a fat smile on his face. Lady told me that since it looks like a firearm they need to know, and that even though they know now that it’s not real, and just a lighter, it’s still being confiscated even though the butane was removed. I’m guessing one of those dudes probably ended up keeping it; because as he was trying to figure out how it works he had the nicest smile on his face. After going back up to boarding desk, I learned that everyone’s carry on luggage and person belongings were being searched before boarding the plane.

During that trip, I was traveling with family, as I sat down in my seat, my mother was on the plane scolding me the whole time about I how probably caused the whole plane to be searched and delayed the whole flight.

Any who, now I know I should have probably let them know ahead of time?🤣
 
Last edited:
This is more common than it sounds. I’ve been searched in several airports. If you’re traveling with a firearm you always have to be careful with cartridges laying around, especially when you travel for matches.

I’ve also been randomly searched internationally and domestically. Maybe I fit a certain profile but semi-normal for me. I don’t fight it or get upset, if anything all my stuff is pretty organized now to speed up the process.
What happens if they find empty brass? It’s not considered ammo?
 
About a little over 15 years ago, I was waiting to aboard my flight in Hong Kong International to return to SFO. During my trip, I had bought a torch lighter that looked like a miniature revolver in brush gun metal finish, probably about slightly bigger than the size of a trijicon MrO; as a gift to bring back to the states for an uncle who smokes cigars. You pull back the hammer and the torch comes out of the barrel 🤣.

Before flying, I read online that I can just empty the butane, and call it a day for lighters. I did that. I put it in the bottom of the check in luggage. When boarding flight, a supervisor looking lady, along with two guys, stopped us when giving our tickets, she asked if we could come with her. We had to follow them to the bottom of the plane, there was the luggage on a pick up truck bed, with a work light shining on the luggage, and a camcorder recording it. Guess maybe x-ray scanned a figure.

They asked if there were any firearms in the luggage. I said a lighter that I bought that looks like one, and the internet said just remove the butane since it’s a lighter so it’s not a fire hazard. As soon as I said that, they had a shocked kind of reaction. One of the guys removed it, asked me how it works, and he confirmed it wasn’t real; had a fat smile on his face. Lady told me that since it looks like a firearm they need to know, and that even though they know now that it’s not real, and just a lighter, it’s still being confiscated even though the butane was removed. I’m guessing one of those dudes probably ended up keeping it; because as he was trying to figure out how it works he had the nicest smile on his face. After going back up to boarding desk, I learned that everyone’s carry on luggage and person belongings were being searched before boarding the plane.

During that trip, I was traveling with family, as I sat down in my seat, my mother was on the plane scolding me the whole time about I how probably caused the whole plane to be searched and delayed the whole flight.

Any who, now I know I should have probably let them know ahead of time?🤣
I flew for work into Charles de Gaulle airport in France only about 8 weeks after 9-11. Needless to say they were super on-edge and asked me about a 10" mini rake-looking item with a red handle in my carry-on. "Wut tiss deez" they asked rather accusingly. I picked it up and expanded the telescoping handle, then inserted it into the back of my shirt to demonstrate my favorite back scratcher! They all broke out laughing. 🤣
 
Ten years ago, Wife and I flew to Albuquerque for a wedding. Packed my nice clothes in the check in bag. Opened the bag at our hotel, and found a note from TSA, We rummage through your luggage. My belt was missing. Thank you TSA.
 
Back
Top Bottom