18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Advice for purchasing first two guns

AppealToHeaven

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
2
Hi all,

Looking to buy my first two guns. First one will be either a Glock 19 or Sig P365. Then looking for a fun bolt action rifle.
Any recommendations <$750? I think ideally .223 Rem, but I'd be interested in any similar calibers.

Thanks
 
hard to say without knowing your intent. Dont spend anything less than $250 as a rough benchmark. The rifle doesnt matter as much as good glass. Your gonna want to upgrade to a "better" rifle anyway, and you can just move a good scope around. It also would not hurt to start out with a trainer .22 bolty rifle. Save a lot of money using that till you know what your actually looking for in a gun

I started out with vortex, athlon, SWFA. Primary arms has also started making good stuff, but the good aint cheap and the cheap aint good

C_DOES on youtube has the best review videos on the net. If you have something in mind, see if hes done a review on it.
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

Looking to buy my first two guns. First one will be either a Glock 19 or Sig P365. Then looking for a fun bolt action rifle.
Any recommendations <$750? I think ideally .223 Rem, but I'd be interested in any similar calibers.

Thanks
I have a Glock 19, which is my EDC, but recently bought a P365 X-Macro Comp which I enjoy shooting more than the Glock, especially when it comes to double tap or rapid fire. It probably exceeds your $750 budget though. I have a hard time budgeting (LOL).

Why .223? Too little for deer, too much for plinking. If you're ever going to consider deer hunting, the minimum I recommend is .243, or if not, 22LR or 22WMR are great for plinking. My daughter loves our CZ 22WMR bolt rifle, and you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22 for 22LR.

As for fun shooting, a Ruger PC9 9mm carbine is one of the most fun guns I own, although it's not a bolt action. If you're shooting steel targets, it's cheaper than shooting 5.56 or .223, and you can really hit those plates quickly (I'm quicker with the carbine than I am with a pistol).

EUlGL4e.jpg

My EDC is a Glock 19, it's reliable and a great gun.

vSGlAJc.jpg

This SIG P365 X-Macro Comp is a joy to shoot

QyklXf1.jpg

Ruger 10/22's are cheap and fun to shoot, and the ammo is cheap too.

7NhXkSh.jpg

CZ bolt-action in 22WMR is my daughter's favorite at the range. 22 Mag is a little more but it's more accurate too.
 
The good aint cheap and the cheap aint good

Ryan is making a point to remember, with a few exceptions like the Ruger 10/22.

You asked about optics. That's a whole kettle of fish all by itself, but remember Ryan's words above. The best deals are usually not worth the powder to blow them to hell. You can usually find mid-range optics that will hold up, but all the optics I drool over cost two or three times as much as my rifles, so I stick with mid-range ($300ish) scopes.
 
Hi all,

Looking to buy my first two guns. First one will be either a Glock 19 or Sig P365. Then looking for a fun bolt action rifle.
Any recommendations <$750? I think ideally .223 Rem, but I'd be interested in any similar calibers.

Thanks
By the way, I don't think of bolt action rifles as "fun." I own bolt, lever, and semi-automatic rifles, and for me, semi-automatics are more fun. Not sure why.
 
Ruger American predator in 223 would be a great choice. Theyre low cost, simple, rugged, and shoot really well. The stock is ugly and the trigger isn't amazing, but for a first rifle you'll be plenty happy with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom