18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Pics Another rifle with no proof....WWI

echo1

Well-known member
📝 Contributor
Messages
444
Hello Curious Types,

I said you might be running into some dupe posts, here's one of them but with pictures.

I got this little guy garage sailing (I used to be a garage sailor/thrift store junkie bad). It was on a table with some fishin gear, this little very old Dutch lady said it was her grandpa's and that: "He brought it back from France, he was a Doughboy, but it's broken", and proceed to show me that the stock was in 2 pieces. For $25 bucks I scarfed it up. When I got it home, I did some research on it. Turned out to be a Mannlicher Model 1890 Cavalry Carbine and it wasn't broken, the forearm had been cleanly hack sawed at the first barrel band??? I'd never seen a "duffle cut" before. Pinned the 2 sections and Gorilla glued it back together. Good as new. PAX
019.jpg
023.jpg
 
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

As I get older, for whatever reason, I'm coming to appreciate these C&R rifles and what have you more and more. I think perhaps it's the "personality" they have.
 
Hello Curious Types,

I said you might be running into some dupe posts, here's one of them but with pictures.

I got this little guy garage sailing (I used to be a garage sailor/thrift store junkie bad). It was on a table with some fishin gear, this little very old Dutch lady said it was her grandpa's and that: "He brought it back from France, he was a Doughboy, but it's broken", and proceed to show me that the stock was in 2 pieces. For $25 bucks I scarfed it up. When I got it home, I did some research on it. Turned out to be a Mannlicher Model 1890 Cavalry Carbine and it wasn't broken, the forearm had been cleanly hack sawed at the first barrel band??? I'd never seen a "duffle cut" before. Pinned the 2 sections and Gorilla glued it back together. Good as new. PAX

These are quite cool posts & pictures. Thanks for sharing. I've updated it with the Pics prefix so folks know it has pictures. Also want to say thanks for using a 3rd party image hosting site! :D

You've graduated to "Member" status quickly. Kudos!
 
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

As I get older, for whatever reason, I'm coming to appreciate these C&R rifles and what have you more and more. I think perhaps it's the "personality" they have.

These are quite cool posts & pictures. Thanks for sharing. I've updated it with the Pics prefix so folks know it has pictures. Also want to say thanks for using a 3rd party image hosting site! :D

You've graduated to "Member" status quickly. Kudos!
Thanks, I'm retired and try to contribute to the various forums I'm on, especially the "home town" ones. I've been as mischievous as possible and can fabricate or embellish a tall tale with the best of them :sneaky: PAX
 
Back
Top Bottom