18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Pics Another Scrap Heap Salvage

echo1

Well-known member
📝 Contributor
Messages
444
Hi Fellow C&R Junkies,

Quite some time ago, I picked up this Stevens 325 with a group of rifles and parts from an estate. I really had no idea what the heck a 325 was, and never knew there was such a thing as a .30-30 bolt gun. The stock was in very poor condition, the gas shield clips were bent (which had the bolt jammed), and of course it had never been cleaned. I was able to persuade the bolt out, and save the mechanicals.

I often wonder how people could treat ANY civilian fire arm so badly. The wood had dents, gouges, and deep scratches. It took quite a bit of sanding and steam, and then I just had to say it was as good as it was gonna get.

While LGS dumpster diving, I found a recoil pad that would be a close enough fit, with a little trim off the butt and pad both, and a nice era correct basket weave sling. I added the swivels.

Some Old English and syth oil on the furniture, a splash of olive oil on the dried up sling, and viola, good loner gun or first time center fire shooter rifle.

The final item needing addressed was the rear sight. It had a crack that needed braised. I got a replacement ladder from Numrich, off a .22 bolt but fits. Came with an extra mag, and the pointy boolits I picked up garage sailing.

I know I've committed a mortal C&R sin with sanding and saw, but it lives to kill again. PAX

325-001.jpg


325-003.jpg


325-004.jpg
 
Same thing I did a couple years back on some Winchester 72s. They were in poor condition. A local shop took them in on trade and I grabbed them for $100 each.

winchester722.jpgwinchester721.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom