18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Any news on losing our RTB with a felony DUI?

I was living in the extra room of a house for a while. The nice lady who rented the room to me was killed by a drunk driver running a red light. I still remember the devastating effect it had on her sons, and I was pretty gutted too.

OP, the very last thing you should be worried about is having a gun. Be glad you have your freedom...
How long ago was this and what happened to your stay there after
 
I’ll take all your guns for $0 and ppt em back to you for $0 in 5 years or whenever you can own them again if you let me shoot em in the meantime
 
I guess this guy won't be on the forums anymore. Its a Felony in California Penal Code and under Title 18, United States Code Section 922 for him to touch a round of ammunition or a firearm. Maybe make better choices. If he got charged and convicted of a felony that means there was significant property damage or bodily injury. Firearms require owners who have adequate judgment and safety for the lives of others.
I think it could also be a second (etc) offense too. Still not great choices here but another way a DUI becomes a felony.
 
You no longer have the right to bear arms. It’s totally your fault. Live with it.

I’d much rather have a pot head next to me on the range than an alcoholic. There is no comparison.
Except that doesnt make sense - DUI is just under the influence, and not exclusive to alcohol.
 
I’d rather have a guy with a 4 duis in a decade with a gun than a Peterast who pled out after touching little boys … I’m sure the majority of this site won’t agree tho
Pedo shouldn't be allowed to plea down to a misdemeanor in my opinion. Don't want anybody who repeatedly makes a choice like DUI next to me either.
 
How long ago was this and what happened to your stay there after
I had to move out. The last thing I saw was a big picture of her at the wake. Cried my eyes out as I drove away.

This happened back in 1999 or so.
 
Except that doesnt make sense - DUI is just under the influence, and not exclusive to alcohol.
May have been a DWI, much more serious. Could have been injury, manslaughter, or some serious property damage as a result of the DUI/DWI too.
 
May have been a DWI, much more serious. Could have been injury, manslaughter, or some serious property damage as a result of the DUI/DWI too.
Dam man. Sorry you went through that. I can't imagine that situation. Hopefully the OP gets out of this forum and firearms and finds Jesus.
 
Dam man. Sorry you went through that. I can't imagine that situation. Hopefully the OP gets out of this forum and firearms and finds Jesus.
Thanks man, appreciate it. I felt really bad for the husband and sons.
 
I’ll take all your guns for $0 and ppt em back to you for $0 in 5 years or whenever you can own them again if you let me shoot em in the meantime
Very trustworthy person. Highly recommend lol. He ain't getting his rights restored forsure.
 
Aren’t there services that will allow you to transfer your arms to them and hold them until your felony is scrubbed in exchange for a reoccurring holding fee?
 
They made an account just to post this LOL. I guess they now know what not to do for next time.
 
I’d rather have a guy with a 4 duis in a decade with a gun than a Peterast who pled out after touching little boys … I’m sure the majority of this site won’t agree thou

Is this false equivalency meant to somehow downplay the danger a habitual drunk driver poses to others? Someone with 4 DUI’s is not someone who drove drunk 4 times in the last 10 years and just happened to get caught each time. This is someone who has an obvious problem with alcohol and has not a second thought hopping in the car when on the end side of a routine bender. I would not hire either for a job. One is sick and perverted, the other can’t make responsible choices.
 
Can’t people have dui’s expunged after a certain amount of years?
 
Watching a group of gun grabbers piling on like this on a 2nd Amendment gun rights forum is interesting to say the least. I guess the prescribed punishment is not enough for this guy. Apparently, we need to strip him of his civil rights, as well. And we need to do this for all felonies, right? I’d better go rebalance my checkbook. I sure wouldn’t want to bounce a check for over $950 around you guys . . .
 
Can’t people have dui’s expunged after a certain amount of years?
they can try. I would say felony will be a tough one; maybe a misdemeanor depending on the circumstance.

Also, CA separates them from the DMV records - while you might get an expungement in the criminal court, the DMV tags you for 10 year, and if you hold a commercial license they can ban you for life from that privilege (the BAC for a commercial license is lower). I think they do this to escalate charges for repeat offenders within that timeframe.
 
Back
Top Bottom