18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Anyone Else Bored with Static Target Shooting

skb720

Well-known member
Messages
196
In the past couple months, I got into Trap and now Skeet, it is way more fun than punching holes at paper targets or hitting steel. Hitting at static targets does not motivate or excite me anymore. Moving flying clay targets is much more practical and good practice for athletic movements and hand-eye coordination. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm guessing it is probably just a "phase" thing I am going through, haha.
 
I used to compete in sporting clays and 5 stand when I lived in the bay area, lot of fun. I got into USPSA a little over a year ago and to me there is nothing more fun to do with a gun. Have you done pistol/rifle matches or are you talking about just standing and plinking targets. If just standing and plinking I get it, have buddies who want to do that and I have no desire to do it.
 
Once you do dynamic, anything else is bring me to tears boring. I miss front sight.....
 
Second IPSC/USPSA. Although it can be too much fun, and turn into an addictive hobby, which also drains your pockets. Joke about that below.

But to me static slow fire shooting is also fun if you are doing it for maximum accuracy, for example competitively. YMMV.

Joke: Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll spend all weekends on the lake, and all his money on boats and gear.
 
non-dynamic shooting is obscenely boring unless its at far-ranged steel. if your in socal i help with 2-gun training every month, should show up
Not looking for 2-gun training specifically, but looking for 2-gun matches. Can't seem to find any on Practiscore. Really hoping PCSL takes off, so more local clubs offer it.

Honestly would be okay with just some outlaw rifle matches. PCC on pistol designed stages don't hit right. My AR also barely gets any love these days.
 
I'm thinking of getting a dueling tree and/or Texas star and taking that out, because the indoor my buddy always wants to use is mind-numbing. Standing static in a bay, and not even being able to practice a simple CCW draw? Hard pass from here on out.

Don't get me wrong, it's great for brushing up fundamentals or putting a couple of hundred through a new gun to get a feel for it, but beyond that.... I'm done with just punching paper.
 
I've been itching to buy a solid plot of land specifically so that I could have the freedom to run and gun on my terms for quite some time now. All ranges are a minimum 1hr of driving for me, and there's 3 worth going to at best. Tons of land around thats just privately owned & either not for sale or offered at acreages in the hundreds for a couple million dollars.
 
I've been itching to buy a solid plot of land specifically so that I could have the freedom to run and gun on my terms for quite some time now. All ranges are a minimum 1hr of driving for me, and there's 3 worth going to at best. Tons of land around thats just privately owned & either not for sale or offered at acreages in the hundreds for a couple million dollars.
Before you do, check the regulations. Some counties have "no shoot zones", some more, some less.
 
In the past couple months, I got into Trap and now Skeet, it is way more fun than punching holes at paper targets or hitting steel.

Hell, yeah! Poking holes in paper bores the $&@! out of me. I'll go to an indoor range when I'm testing out a gun or sighting in a rifle, but that's IT. I shot trap for a few years, and busting clay is great. But the best thing is setting up empty aluminum cans and making them fly. I start with them close, and walk them further and further away until I can't see them well enough. If they go flying, the challenge is hitting them again before they come to a rest.

Dueling trees are fun, too. If the shooters aren't equally qualified, one can start with his gun at the ready, the other holstered. Or the better shooter can shoot one-handed... or non-dominant handed.
 
I get a kick out of busting clays with the sub gauges, .410 and 28g in particular.

When I shot trap back in the Pliocene, my homies and I were sitting around sipping refreshments on the tailgates of our trucks, and this old dude shuffles up. He must have been 90 years old, and he had a .410 over his shoulder. I thought the weight of the shotgun might make him tip over at any minute. I was scared for him.

Eventually he's at his position, and he never missed a shot. Then he turned his shotgun upside down... and he never missed a shot. He did other wacky stuff... and he never missed a shot. The dude had been shooting about 86 of his 90 years, and he was damned good at it. That day I learned that if you see a guy show up at the range with a .410, there's a good chance he knows what he's doing.
 
In the past couple months, I got into Trap and now Skeet, it is way more fun than punching holes at paper targets or hitting steel. Hitting at static targets does not motivate or excite me anymore. Moving flying clay targets is much more practical and good practice for athletic movements and hand-eye coordination. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm guessing it is probably just a "phase" thing I am going through, haha.
Kind of for me. I was introduced to sporting clays at a young age - handguns, not so much until much later into my adulthood. I’m starting USPSA now to add into my shooting rotation. Variety is key imo to stave off burnout.
 
Back
Top Bottom