18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Anyone ever experienced a scummy deal on here before?

No ill intentions or negative wishing towards them, just won't give them my time again.
Well said.. I had it happen to me this week. I just add them onto my ignore list going forward.

OP, don't take it personal. Better to know beforehand than to show up and you're the only one there.
 
I will say if you are selling, part of the deal is you sell it to the first guy who meets your price, even if someone else offers more after. If you want an auction, sell it at auction.
 
I had a clown commit to a time and date to do transfer. I took the day off from work and the guy sends me a text a couple of hours before we are scheduled to meet. He tells me that he is not feeling well. In our back and forth prior to setting everything up he gave me a hint that he wasn’t a solid person. Well, my intuition was correct. Moral of the story. Listen to your intuition. Any red flags, take heed to them.
 
When @ikeo1 instituted the ability to leave feedback for sellers and buyers that flaked on a sale after an agreement was made, there were a bunch of dudes here up in arms that someone would be able to publicly call them out for this type of garbage conduct.

Some went so far as to claim that agreeing to a sale and then going no contact wasn't ghosting because they hadn't scheduled an actual meetup. There are plenty of guys out there willing to do this sort of nonsense because they lack any integrity.
 
More of a venting thread.

Long story short, had the chance to finally encounter a scummy deal. Went through the whole process of back and forth negotiating and finally made a final call to finalize everything. Even moved some of my planned schedules to make it work. The day before the deal., was told that they had sold it to another person because they had a better offer.

Why do people agree to a deal and then back out the moment a better offer comes along? Maybe “backstab” isn’t the right word, but that’s honestly how it felt. I get it, it's the real world but please don't agree to something which you can't hold integrity to. Better to decline then get stringed along and waste time.

At the end of the day, it was a lesson learned — just frustrating and a waste of time.

I’ve heard worse stories, but I’m curious — how many of you have run into something similar?

FWIW when I was trying to sell a G17.3 slide and barrel last year, I had a dude offering like $50 more than asking and I turned him down even though I agreed on a price less than asking with someone else. I made an agreement with someone and unless that falls through, it's final.

Dude was incredulous when I said that.
 
More of a venting thread.

Long story short, had the chance to finally encounter a scummy deal. Went through the whole process of back and forth negotiating and finally made a final call to finalize everything. Even moved some of my planned schedules to make it work. The day before the deal., was told that they had sold it to another person because they had a better offer.

Why do people agree to a deal and then back out the moment a better offer comes along? Maybe “backstab” isn’t the right word, but that’s honestly how it felt. I get it, it's the real world but please don't agree to something which you can't hold integrity to. Better to decline then get stringed along and waste time.

At the end of the day, it was a lesson learned — just frustrating and a waste of time.

I’ve heard worse stories, but I’m curious — how many of you have run into something similar?
That’s honestly not bad, they are trying to get the most out of their firearms. He had the decency to tell you at least a day before. Having you go to the meeting spot and then flaking would have been worse.
 
The worst thing I ever saw was from CALGUNS.

Buyer arrived at the store and just started looking at inventory...when he was ready to buy he informed me he was waiting for a PPT seller and wanted to do both at the same time. He then found another firearm he wanted.
Seller arrives after driving 3 hours in traffic to meet closer to the Buyer as a courtesy.

Buyer was as callous as possible and only offered 1/3 the agreed about price. Said he wanted to buy a few guns from me and would not have enough money left unless the guy dropped his price and he would just pass on the deal.

Seller started yelling at him in the store and the buyer literally had zero emotion and just moved on.

I asked them both to leave as it was going to escalate.
 
The worst thing I ever saw was from CALGUNS.

Buyer arrived at the store and just started looking at inventory...when he was ready to buy he informed me he was waiting for a PPT seller and wanted to do both at the same time. He then found another firearm he wanted.
Seller arrives after driving 3 hours in traffic to meet closer to the Buyer as a courtesy.

Buyer was as callous as possible and only offered 1/3 the agreed about price. Said he wanted to buy a few guns from me and would not have enough money left unless the guy dropped his price and he would just pass on the deal.

Seller started yelling at him in the store and the buyer literally had zero emotion and just moved on.

I asked them both to leave as it was going to escalate.
Dang that's a crazy story. Some buyers just have no integrity what so ever and just don't care.

Did you end up selling him the pistol?
 
FWIW when I was trying to sell a G17.3 slide and barrel last year, I had a dude offering like $50 more than asking and I turned him down even though I agreed on a price less than asking with someone else. I made an agreement with someone and unless that falls through, it's final.

Dude was incredulous when I said that.
Integrity is the only thing that let sites like these function, but man is integrity expensive
 
Dang that's a crazy story. Some buyers just have no integrity what so ever and just don't care.

Did you end up selling him the pistol?
No ...both were booted.... the seller was irate and the non buyers lack of caring was just enraging him more.
I didn't mind loosing a customer like that.
 
When @ikeo1 instituted the ability to leave feedback for sellers and buyers that flaked on a sale after an agreement was made, there were a bunch of dudes here up in arms that someone would be able to publicly call them out for this type of garbage conduct.

Some went so far as to claim that agreeing to a sale and then going no contact wasn't ghosting because they hadn't scheduled an actual meetup. There are plenty of guys out there willing to do this sort of nonsense because they lack any integrity.
I said that there's no such thing as "ghosting" unless you make an appointment and I stand by that. I've never gone non contact with anyone but plenty of people have offered a price that I agreed to that never got a hold of me again. And you know what? I don't care because we didn't make an appointment, the deal wasn't made. TONS of people offer a price and don't actually go through with buying the item, offering a price is not a transaction it's just a component of making a deal. Unless you put down a deposit no one has any obligation to save anything for you. If you are expecting that you need to ask. I would probably save an item if someone asked as long as I was ok with the time to wait and the FFL being convenient etc. but y'all need to just take this a lot less personally, a store isn't going to save something without a deposit so why would anyone else? The one caveat is if you have made an appointment and you show up somewhere and they flake completely. But someone selling to another buyer that offers more money? That's just business. I would suggest talking on the phone if you keep getting negative experiences, it's a lot easier to suss out if someone is flaky if you can talk to them directly vs. texting or worse just doing it via messages on here.
 
I’ve heard worse stories, but I’m curious — how many of you have run into something similar?

It seems to be the new normal in America: People say one thing, and then fail to follow though. Who is this rat-bǎșťãřď who walks among us but whose word is worth nothing?
 
On the flip side, years ago, also on Calguns, I was selling a Dan Wesson CBOB. A buyer and I agreed on price and to meet at an appt only FFL. A couple days later, we both arrive at the FFL and the buyer tells me he had just PPT’d a DW VBOB, which is what he really wanted. Despite that, he still wanted to honor his commitment to buying the CBOB I was selling. One of the most stand-up buyers I’ve met and I’ll never forget that experience.
 
The hard part for us is, we have nothing to do with your transactions. We get no split or anything, so we don't know who's actually telling the truth or what the circumstances are. At worst, you can report the message and we take a look and that's about it. It's totally honor system. I'd like to bring back the neutral and leverage that as an incentive to keep your word so people are more reluctant to agree.

When we're larger we'll consider it.. Right now, the only course is to name and shame in the buyer/seller beware list which is on the classifieds. Do you think we should put it in the DM's? so people can do a look up ?

We want people to be stand up, because it's better for everyone.
 
I have still go meet up and paid 1500 for a 43x after found a coyote tan one for 1000.... now I have 2 43x...

Because I have buy and sold enough stuff on fb market place offer up here and calguns to experience all those stereotypes and I hate being one of them...
 
More of a venting thread.

Long story short, had the chance to finally encounter a scummy deal. Went through the whole process of back and forth negotiating and finally made a final call to finalize everything. Even moved some of my planned schedules to make it work. The day before the deal., was told that they had sold it to another person because they had a better offer.

Why do people agree to a deal and then back out the moment a better offer comes along? Maybe “backstab” isn’t the right word, but that’s honestly how it felt. I get it, it's the real world but please don't agree to something which you can't hold integrity to. Better to decline then get stringed along and waste time.

At the end of the day, it was a lesson learned — just frustrating and a waste of time.

I’ve heard worse stories, but I’m curious — how many of you have run into something similar?
:ROFLMAO: 🤣😂 Because their integrity is worth less than the few extra dollars they got from that “better offer.” Some people really are just that cheap.
 
Nope. Never ever had any issues at all here or on Calguns.
 
Someone actually sent me a text that said "Hey are we still meeting up today?" and it was from an unknown number. I deleted it thinking it was SPAM and I didn't wanna get no virus on my phone. After I deleted it, I thought, "Oh shoot, I think that was from someone who wanted to meet up for the AR mags."

If that was you DM me! 🤦‍♂️
 
Back
Top Bottom