By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Depends do you want a compact or a subcompact? Like Glock 19 vs 26How does the VP9A1K feel/shoot/compare against the VP9SK?
Wondering if one has a SK, if it’s worth getting the new K?
Personally hoping the VP9CC gets on the roster!
you don't get to badmouth PDP and not get schooled by @Gawernator .I have both the K and F versions. I was a Glock guy for decades. The trigger is very good, and the gun itself is better aesthetically than the PDP...and it has the HK pedigree of quality / reliability. The gun looks / feels longer than the G19/M&P 2.0 Compact I have, but according to the factory numers it's not by much. If it's for carry, I'd go with ccw / carry I'd go with the K model over the PDP/M&P. for a couple of reasons...
- the slide itself is better contoured than the PDP, so less to grind agains your body in IWB. For this purpose I would favor the VP9A1K over the PDP's marginally better trigger.
- no manual thumb safety to accidentally engage when you don't want to.
- The magazine disconnect is designed in the HK in such a way it has zero impact on ejecting the magazine. (S&W and guns like the echelon can bind on the mag to slow ejecting...)
That all being said, I echo the hope of a VP9CC getting added.
VP9A1 is a very acceptable alternative. I like both. The VP9K is a little slimmer, and has the adjustable size grips. PDP has the back straps but I think the PDP has the best feel and texture overall. Aesthetics is a toss up. PDP has a better trigger and shorter reset while the VP9K is a little softer shooting. For me the Vp9K grip digs into my thumb knuckle even with the smallest backstrap while the PDP fits like a glove. It’s also stupidly accurateyou don't get to badmouth PDP and not get schooled by @Gawernator .
I tried once and he bullied me into buying PDP compact![]()
Depends do you want a compact or a subcompact? Like Glock 19 vs 26
If someone already has an SK then it's not worth getting the K unless you just want to be an HK collector. The K's grip length can be simulated with the pinky ledge mags on the SK. The longer sight radius from the K is irrelevant with red dots. I've shot both back to back and painted the same groups so they are about as accurate as each other at ccw distances (with the pinky ledge mags and a red dot).How does the VP9A1K feel/shoot/compare against the VP9SK?
Wondering if one has a SK, if it’s worth getting the new K?
Personally hoping the VP9CC gets on the roster!
Then have both lol
Mmm the A1 model has improvements to it so not exactly. The time to buy was under the $250 rebate back in August haha. The extension mags don’t give the same exact grip as the real grip.If someone already has an SK then it's not worth getting the K unless you just want to be an HK collector. The K's grip length can be simulated with the pinky ledge mags on the SK. The longer sight radius from the K is irrelevant with red dots. I've shot both back to back and painted the same groups so they are about as accurate as each other at ccw distances (with the pinky ledge mags and a red dot).
To be clear, I am NOT suggesting that the SK is a better gun. I'm saying that it isn't worth buying the K if you already have an SK. VP9SK is also discontinued and James Williamson at Teufelshund (who now works at HK) said that the VP9K was designed to replace the SK.
I don't know what you're arguing. I've already addressed the size issue and the barrel difference in my post that you replied to.Mmm the A1 model has improvements to it so not exactly. The time to buy was under the $250 rebate back in August haha. The extension mags don’t give the same exact grip as the real grip.
The main A1 changes are:
- Improved trigger feel. The big mechanical change is a Nickel-Teflon-coated trigger bar, which HK says gives a smoother pull and cleaner break. It’s not an entirely different trigger system, and the published pull/travel numbers are still in roughly the same range as the old VP9, but the interface is slicker and feels cleaner.
- Reworked grip geometry. The A1 gets a higher grip saddle, which lets your hand sit higher relative to the bore. HK’s claimed benefit is less felt muzzle movement and faster follow-up shots.
- Much more grip adjustment. Old VP9s had 27 combinations using three backstraps and interchangeable side panels. The A1 expands that to 45 combinations and adds extended backstraps to change length of pull, not just circumference. This is one of the bigger real-world improvements if you have small or large hands.
- Improved ambidextrous controls. HK redesigned the controls to be easier to manipulate without making them excessively large or snaggy.
- Factory-flared magwell. The A1 frame has a more pronounced funnel built into the grip to make reloads more forgiving.
- More aggressive/additional slide serrations. HK calls these expanded front and rear “maritime” serrations, basically giving you more gripping surface for manipulations.
- Frame indexing texture. There’s a serrated/tactile reference area on the frame where the support-hand thumb/index finger can index. Small detail, but clearly intentional.
- Magazine-removal relief. The grip/magazine base area has a recess that makes it easier to grab and strip a magazine manually if necessary.
- Optics-ready architecture is standard across the line, with steel adapter plates using integral recoil lugs. That said, this is not entirely new versus later-generation pre-A1 VP9s, because HK already made the normal VP9 optics-ready beginning in 2020.
- Updated sight configuration with a high-visibility/tritium front and clean serrated rear is available/standard depending on SKU, although again, the basic high-vis-front/black-rear concept had already appeared on the 2020 VP9 update.
Compact vs subcompact gun. Two different sizes similar to P2000 and P2000SK. .7” longer barrel is significant
Yeah but I disagree that you only need the VP9A1 K if you’re a collector. It’s a different size of gun. Compact vs subcompact. It’s nice to have a smaller subcompact when you want to be lazy with your clothes. And all the above listed changes. None of it is a “need” anyways it’s all what we wantI don't know what you're arguing. I've already addressed the size issue and the barrel difference in my post that you replied to.
I never said the mag extensions give the exact same grip. I said they simulate the larger grip.
You don't need to copy and paste the A1 improvements. If you go back to the 1st page on this thread, I mentioned the differences between the A1 and the non A1 with first hand experience as I've owned many VP9s and bought the first batch of the A1 update when they released. You actually liked that post if you forgot.
I mean you can disagree that's totally fine. I was just giving my opinion and i made it clear that I don't think that the SK is a better gun than the K. I just don't really think that it's worth spending $1000 on a slightly larger VP9 when the mag extensions and a red dot give you similar performance. the OEM mag extensions are also extremely large on the SK. It's not like a G26 or a shield plus mag extension where's it's a small ledge. It's an actual like finger groove.Yeah but I disagree that you only need the VP9A1 K if you’re a collector. It’s a different size of gun. Compact vs subcompact. It’s nice to have a smaller subcompact when you want to be lazy with your clothes. And all the above listed changes. None of it is a “need” anyways it’s all what we want
I run my P2000SK with the 12 round mag generally and I do have the p30SK 15 but after shooting my new to me P2000 I will say it’s a nicer experience to shoot.I mean you can disagree that's totally fine. I was just giving my opinion and i made it clear that I don't think that the SK is a better gun than the K. I just don't really think that it's worth spending $1000 on a slightly larger VP9 when the mag extensions and a red dot give you similar performance. the OEM mag extensions are also extremely large on the SK. It's not like a G26 or a shield plus mag extension where's it's a small ledge. It's an actual like finger groove.
But beyond this scenario, this argument is a moot point because the SK is discontinued. So a new buyer can only buy the K. I'm just seeing a lack of a value proposition for existing SK owners. Also, check this video out. I set it to the right time but in case the time stamp doesn't work go to 58:58. James talks about the VP9A1K, how it fits into the lineup, compares it with the SK, and talks about how people were running the SK with the larger mags anyway.
That’s the 12 round P30SK mag?@Gawernator this is what my VP9Sk looks like in a 5L Savior Obscura. I know you have the same bag. Look at how much the mag extension changes the grip length. Compare it to how your VP9K fits into the same bag with flush mags.
View attachment 263194

I think there is enough of a difference between the P2000 and the P2000SK that would warrant owning both. They have a different shooting characteristic especially when it comes to the DA pull such that the mag extensions don't really help (for me at least) when I shoot both. But the VP9 has a way more forgiving trigger and way better ergonomics which is probably the reason why I don't think the K is that big of a jump.I run my P2000SK with the 12 round mag generally and I do have the p30SK 15 but after shooting my new to me P2000 I will say it’s a nicer experience to shoot.
Also the new models don’t have finger grooves which I prefer. So for some people the ergo change might be worthwhile.
It's the P30SK/VP9SK mag yeah but it's a 10 rounder because my IA doesn't allow me to run greater than 10 rounds.That’s the 12 round P30SK mag? View attachment 263203
Skip the CC9 if you’re getting the VP9CC. I’ve gotten to shoot both and the VP9CC is the better of the two.Appreciate the responses guys.
I have the P2000 and P2000SK. For some reason, I shoot the P2000SK better than its larger brother.
Want to transition out of hammer fired to strikers, so got a VP9SK. Very nice gun. Love it so much was thinking about getting a second as a shooter but mostly as a parts backup since it’s discontinued. Now that’s crazy talk.Used market prices for the VP9SK exceed a brand new cost of a VP9A1K. I think the F and X will be too big for my hands. (The guy in that video has huge hands).
So like my P2000 and P2000SK ownership, I was thinking of selling them and transitioning to a VP9SK and VP9A1K setup.
Of course, if the VP9CC dropped on the roster menu, I would have it for dinner.
In my jurisdiction you’re allowed 4 guns on the CCW license. This would be pretty:
VP9SK
VP9A1K
VP9CC
CC9
I emailed CS at HK asking about the latter two guns and if they’ll be on roster and their response was “we are working to get our guns for all 50 states.” Certainly a better answer than Glock when I asked them, the response was “call this number to talk to us.” Calling them, the guy basically blamed CA and said don’t expect anything. Less than one month later, the 43X was roster-approved, which means Glock had already submitted to the CA DOJ and just lied to customers to keep it under wraps.