- Messages
- 5,633
has to be a pistol AFAIK, an AOW is basically a pistol with less than 16" barrel and foregripSo can I build an AOW ARP from a regular DROS'd lower?
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
has to be a pistol AFAIK, an AOW is basically a pistol with less than 16" barrel and foregripSo can I build an AOW ARP from a regular DROS'd lower?
Mine is engraved because I had it done a while ago, and still waiting for ATF approval. But now I don't know what to do.Maybe engrave it as an AOW and you're good to go?
The DROS system makes you start with Longgun or Handgun. For a handgun it needs to be on the roster or and exempt handgun.Can a rifle ar stripped lower be private party transferred as a "other" on dros?
It is legal on Federal level.
"Regular" as in DROS'd as a Long gun? That's a question I'd really like to see answered by CRPA or an attorney familiar with California firearms law.So can I build an AOW ARP from a regular DROS'd lower?
If it's mag locked andwe all getting AOW MP5's now with pistol brace or what
of course it is officerIf it's mag locked anded to 10 rds, I'll pass
Pistol that accepts magazine outside the grip yea needs mag lockof course it is officer
They need maglock?
When I looked into this idea a while back I believe I came to the conclusion that you could, but the act of "making" the firearm into a AOW must be done out of state and its a very grey area. If done in state it might be making an unsafe handgun and it's definitely manufacturing an SBR as prohibited by PC 29186, but if you manufacture it in AZ where its perfectly legal you would just be importing an AOW that is exempt from the SBR possession/import ban and there's no state prohibition against importing unsafe handguns."Regular" as in DROS'd as a Long gun? That's a question I'd really like to see answered by CRPA or an attorney familiar with California firearms law.
I got a AR rifle stripped lower I'm about to buy PPT soon. I think I may tell the seller to meet me at the FFL that dros'd my SSE CA7 to Semi (was in semi config during sell), and see if they can dros as other.The DROS system makes you start with Longgun or Handgun. For a handgun it needs to be on the roster or and exempt handgun.
Longgun after you start stripped or complete the dealer can further select the type:
Rifle/Shotgun/ Other
Then
Semi auto/bolt action ect
Dealers would need more info on how to process that type of transaction if it is doable since CADOJ has always listed the Longgun process was only for 16+” rifle/ 18+” shotgun DROS’s.
I’m sure in the next few days CRPA will give some good guidance.
No, that still applies. There are no more stamps needed (under the NFA) for these things Federally. There are states that still require NFA registration though (that Brownells post lists all the states and their restrictions).So is this also no more ATF form 4473?
ATF Issues New NFA Guidance
ATF has released new guidance that changes the federal process for certain NFA-regulated items, effective October 9, 2026.
What This Means for our Customers
Under the new ATF guidance, federal NFA approval and registration are no longer required before making or transferring certain NFA items, including suppressors, short-barreled rifles (SBRs), short-barreled shotguns (SBSs), and certain other regulated items.
For eligible purchases through an FFL, standard federal firearm transaction requirements still apply, including completing a Form 4473 and, unless exempt, passing a NICS background check.
State and Local Laws Still Apply
These changes do not apply the same way in every state. State and local laws may restrict or prohibit certain items or require additional registration, documentation, or transfer procedures.
Before making a purchase, customers should review their current state and local laws and regulations to understand what is legal and what requirements apply where they live.
Important Things to Know
State and local laws are not superseded by this ATF guidance.
Availability and transfer requirements vary by location.
Federal, state, and local eligibility requirements still apply.
Some transactions may require additional documentation.
Customers may still voluntarily use applicable NFA forms and registration processes.
Free States (27) — No NFA process. Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming. Buy a suppressor like any other firearm
NFA States (15) — The NFA process still applies. Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Washington, and Wisconsin. State law still requires the Form 4 process here,
Banned (8 states + D.C.). California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island, plus Washington, D.C. Suppressors are not currently legal in these places