18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Black powder pistol sale question

LarryBrad

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
8
I am thinking of posting one of my B/P for sale. I thought it would be prudent to make sure I can still sell Ftf , not sure of age requirement for pistol though. Thinking it would be 21. Google AI reported must go through ffl, but I believe that is incorrect. Thank you for the help, Larry
 
If it’s marked Black Powder only and have a BP Cylinder your’e good if you sell it, but with a conversion cylinder FFL.
 
I am not a lawyer, do not take my word for legal advice. Take everything I write with a grain of salt and do your own research.

I believe the law works in this fashion:

A black powder firearm, when UNLOADED, is NOT a firearm, according to federal law. It is like an AR upper, an optic, a barrel, a slide, etc. In short, an unloaded black powder firearms can be shipped anywhere in the US, and can be sold as you would sell any firearm accessory (FTF cash and carry).

For some reason, if the black powder firearm is LOADED, it is now legally a firearm.

However, if you sell a black powder gun with a cartridge conversion cylinder, even if unloaded, it is considered a modern firearm because it can fire cartridge ammunition, and needs to be transferred at an FFL.

To make things even more complicated, the conversion cylinder itself is also considered a "firearm part". So if you ship or sell the black powder firearm separately from the conversion cylinder, you can do so without an FFL.
 
I believe the age to own or possess black powder in California is 18, which would also apply to firearms.

Felons are also prohibited from possessing black powder firearms, so you may consider not selling one to a felon (if you happen to know they are one).

As the other person mentioned, a black powder firearm is considered a firearm when loaded, so its not a loophole to conceal carry one without a CCW license.
 
Back
Top Bottom