18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

BLM land or any other place to shoot long range around Placer county

1911whore

Active member
Messages
131
Does anybody know of any places you can get out further than 600 yards around Placer County?
 
Does anybody know of any places you can get out further than 600 yards around Placer County?
Sac valley shooting center; but need to be a voting member or guest of a voting member to shoot on their 600 yard. 100 and 300 yards is open to the public (non-members welcome).
 
Sac Valley also has NCPPRC practices the first weekend of the month on the 1000 yard range, you can join their forum for info
 
I’m definitely gonna go to the practice sessions and sign up for some matches out at Sac valley. I’m really looking for somewhere that I don’t need to be with some voting member preferably BLM land or something like that.
 
Ok, other than Sac Valley. Somewhere to go and shoot without a ton of restrictions on rifle type, special days, or voting members allowing you to use it.
I will be using these ranges and competitions but am looking for a place to go with friends, shoot. Preferably blm land or something like that
 
I don't know of any public land with a 3/4 mile shooting lane. You can probably do a couple hundred yards at Forest hill quarry
 
Ok, other than Sac Valley. Somewhere to go and shoot without a ton of restrictions on rifle type, special days, or voting members allowing you to use it.
I will be using these ranges and competitions but am looking for a place to go with friends, shoot. Preferably blm land or
Willing to drive to Oroville?
yes. I am thinking of heading there as well
 
If you do go to the range, it is adjacent to the Clay Pit, a 4x4, off-road/dirt bike park, recommend the following;

Weekends can be like the wild west, though not nearly as bad as I have heard other public ranges described.
There are no personnel of any kind. Rangers occasionally buzz the place or pick up trash.
Mornings are the best but the sun is directly in your eyes in early morning.
Paper targets only. On occasion, I've found tumbling jacks or gongs down range. Why? Abandoned I'm sure when trash was being picked up by Ranger Rick.
I have decided a milk carton is a paper target. Filled with water, it makes nice splash when centered by a .308. YMMV
There are some serious folks running rigs for target and/or laddering their rounds for hunting.
Since there are no RSOs, the group calls for cessation of shooting on their own with loud yell, whistle and gesticulating with arms. Be alert while you shoot.
Put a set of muffs or stick foam plugs in your ear before getting out of the car. Unless no one is in sight. I've had the place to myself often.
Amenities are spartan. Concrete picnic style tables. There are a pit toilet and dumpster to place your trash.
You are raised above the ground where targets are placed.
Believe they are closed every third Thursday for maintenance.

Someone can add what I've forgotten. I got blisters on my fingers!
 
Back
Top Bottom