18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Browse Private Gun ads without any keywords.

Hi, it would be great to be able to browse gun ads with some filters, e.g., location, caliber, open ads, but without keywords. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for but I just want to browse off-roster private ads.

Thanks!
Click the top right magnifying glass and then click the bottom right button ADVANCED SEARCH. Then click the second tab from the left SEARCH CLASSIFIEDS. You can customize your search there by area, models, open ads, and so on.
 
Click the top right magnifying glass and then click the bottom right button ADVANCED SEARCH. Then click the second tab from the left SEARCH CLASSIFIEDS. You can customize your search there by area, models, open ads, and so on.

Hey there Colt Collector,

I usually search classifieds using the filters and I know about all of that, but the site doesn't let me search without a keyword such as 'CZ' or 'Glock'. I'm looking for different functionality where I can put in all the variables, e.g., 9mm, SoCal, Off-Roster, etc. but without any search keyword.

Right now I get the following message;

1756681525639.png

Ideally, I should be able to browse like I'm in an online gun shop, with guns for sale (the ads) even if I don't know precisely what I want. Sometimes, a deal jumps out, or an off-roster pistol might grab my attention which I can then research.

I think this functionality would be great, and a keyword should not be necessary. The engine can simply search based on my other criteria; 9mm, off-roster, SoCal, etc.
 
Hey there Colt Collector,

I usually search classifieds using the filters and I know about all of that, but the site doesn't let me search without a keyword such as 'CZ' or 'Glock'. I'm looking for different functionality where I can put in all the variables, e.g., 9mm, SoCal, Off-Roster, etc. but without any search keyword.

Right now I get the following message;

View attachment 89862

Ideally, I should be able to browse like I'm in an online gun shop, with guns for sale (the ads) even if I don't know precisely what I want. Sometimes, a deal jumps out, or an off-roster pistol might grab my attention which I can then research.

I think this functionality would be great, and a keyword should not be necessary. The engine can simply search based on my other criteria; 9mm, off-roster, SoCal, etc.
Simply click the word "classifieds" then scroll down, on the left side is the non-advanced search where it is not required to enter a keyword and you can still narrow it using filters.

This is what you should see:

1756683360582.png
 
Simply click the word "classifieds" then scroll down, on the left side is the non-advanced search where it is not required to enter a keyword and you can still narrow it using filters.
^ this is the answer

Advanced search requires a keyword since it searches the forum too...

The search filters under /classifieds search ONLY the classifieds in real time with instant update.

Screenshot 2025-08-31 at 4.35.44 PM.png
 
Can we just browse from newest to oldest posted? I don't care for keywords or filters or anything. I'm typically not on the hunt for any specific thing but sometimes stuff just jumps into my hands.
 
Appears so. Have to go to categories though because just looking in classifieds brings everything together, like jerky and tasers mixed with mausers and Blackhawk! junk at a CA gun show. 😄
 
Can we just browse from newest to oldest posted? I don't care for keywords or filters or anything. I'm typically not on the hunt for any specific thing but sometimes stuff just jumps into my hands.

You don't need to go down into a specific category, but you can..

Screenshot 2025-08-31 at 5.08.31 PM.png
Appears so. Have to go to categories though because just looking in classifieds brings everything together, like jerky and tasers mixed with mausers and Blackhawk! junk at a CA gun show. 😄

Yeah.. just like an online swap meet.. The randomness is kinda fun sometimes.
 
Thanks guys. Wouldn't it make sense that I would still want to be able to apply *some* filters without a keyword?

Basically, I should be able to use Advanced Search with no keywords and it should still work. Wouldn't that make sense? I don't need caliber or location, so why do I need a keyword ever? Why force a keyword with Advanced search if it's not needed the other way?

I got it to work, and thanks for the help. The way that works IMHO is still very counterintuitive and clunky, and I see no reason to force a keyword at all.

Also, featured ads that don't meet filter criteria should be suppressed. It's like sponsored products on Amazon...would be nice not to see them if I'm adding specific filters.
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys. Wouldn't it make sense that I would still want to be able to apply *some* filters without a keyword?

Basically, I should be able to use Advanced Search with no keywords and it should still work. Wouldn't that make sense? I don't need caliber or location, so why do I need a keyword ever? Why force a keyword with Advanced search if it's not needed the other way?

I got it to work, and thanks for the help. The way that works IMHO is still very counterintuitive and clunky, and I see no reason to force a keyword at all.

Also, featured ads that don't meet filter criteria should be suppressed. It's like sponsored products on Amazon...would be nice not to see them if I'm adding specific filters.
This setup is a mix of forum software plus additional software, so there's a few limiting factors. Keywords are necessary on the forum otherwise it pulls all the posts which can be costly on the database search query. It's not in the classifieds because that searches specific fields vs the thread contents.

Overall there's a way to do things, its the nuance of the site. I don't have a large budget so I have to pick and choose what to put in. All forum software requires a keyword. If have a large following and I can hire dev team, anything is possible. Until then, I'm focusing on a few things...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom