By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
I've had the 30-06 since 1992. Added the 308 about 12 or so years ago when the CMP offered their specials. Seemed like a nice addition to my FAL's.very nice. I have a CMP .308 Garand as well, but never wanted a 30-06. didnt want another caliber in my life.
I do love the old double action Colts from around the post SAA era. 1878 New army, new service, etc.
IMHO, 30-06, 308, and 556 are basic cartridges that I want guns chambered in. So all my M1s are in 3006. I got an M1A to scratch the 308 itch. And I stocked up on HXP back when the CMP was selling it for 60cpr. I also picked up loading equipment over the years. Loading for 3006 and 308 is not that big of a deal. They use the same bullets, powder, and primers. That being said, I do not want another caliber in my life, so that means no 6.5. But I did get a 300 blk upper recently, even though it's not very useful in CA since you can't really have AR pistols, SBRs, or suppressors. But I wanted one for a 30 cal HD carbine.very nice. I have a CMP .308 Garand as well, but never wanted a 30-06. didnt want another caliber in my life.