18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

NEWSROOM California fires new 4-hour live-fire safety course for gun buyers, effective 2029

CAGUNS NEWSROOM Agent
You know what is interesting about taking the driving test? You can drive your own car that you purchased.

I don’t think the folk on here are arguing against firearm training. They are arguing against the state mandating this training prior to purchasing a firearm because it is more about intent. It may be guised as safety. It may save a few lives. But is that really the intent? Or is it to make gun ownership as difficult as possible within the confines of the constitution. Requiring expensive limited classes at the limited ranges by the limited trainers given permission to administer the classes with fees and licenses at all levels of the system.

There is intent and there are optics.
It’s hard to convince people to give up a freedom without convincing them it’s for a greater good or makes them safer.
Well said. And does the law provide for state ran training facilities like DMV to process all these thousands of applicants?

No, of course not, because the goal is that the restrictions and backlogs, wait times will dissuade or block people from having their rights. The idea it will "save lives" is just emotional fluff, not a real argument
 

​

Not an acceptable number for me. Maybe it is for you? Proper training would cut that number by a lot I'd imagine.

Overall Non-Fatal Injuries (CDC WISQARS)​

  • Annual Estimate: ~200 to 500 non-fatal firearm injuries nationwide occur during structured recreational target shooting annually.
Maybe? Becoming an FAA private pilot takes a lot of hours training, and money, and we still see critical pilot errors all the time that are things from basic trainings for pilots. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate - yet the bodies stack up:
 
Confusing headline;

"California fires new 4-hour live-fire safety course for gun buyers, effective 2029"

Did OP mean to write "fires up"? Fires means to terminate.
 
It's the End of 2A in CA as we know it.
It's the End of 2A in CA as we know it.
It's the End of 2A in CA as we know it.
And I feel..... F- this state's political spectrum.
 
No. There are no U.S. states where you can legally purchase a firearm without providing government-issued identification.

Federal law applies nationwide, overriding state rules.
He said DL. You could use a state ID, passport, military ID, etc. I have bought many guns without a REAL ID, so no you're wrong again lol.
 
The jig is up Gavin we know it's you

No, not Gavin but I wish I had his money (and hair).

But I am the outlier in believing that firearms owners should be well trained and have some proficiency before taking a gun home for the first time. Unfortunately, we cannot rely on people to do the necessary things to achieve a decent level of proficiency themselves. So now they will be forced to do so. I don't want to hear people crying about the costs for the classes; If they can afford to buy a gun & ammo, they can afford to learn how to use it.

I know 2A is a right and not a priveledge. I don't care about all the arguments and anecdotes about the 1A, voting, and driver's licenses.

The Left doesn't really care about saving lives with this legislation - its about control and making it more difficult to own a gun. But it may well be the one law that actually does save lives. Go figure.

So yeah, I love it.
 
No, not Gavin but I wish I had his money (and hair).

But I am the outlier in believing that firearms owners should be well trained and have some proficiency before taking a gun home for the first time. Unfortunately, we cannot rely on people to do the necessary things to achieve a decent level of proficiency themselves. So now they will be forced to do so. I don't want to hear people crying about the costs for the classes; If they can afford to buy a gun & ammo, they can afford to learn how to use it.

I know 2A is a right and not a priveledge. I don't care about all the arguments and anecdotes about the 1A, voting, and driver's licenses.

The Left doesn't really care about saving lives with this legislation - its about control and making it more difficult to own a gun. But it may well be the one law that actually does save lives. Go figure.

So yeah, I love it.

Good thing criminals take a class to get their guns as well….
 
No, not Gavin but I wish I had his money (and hair).

But I am the outlier in believing that firearms owners should be well trained and have some proficiency before taking a gun home for the first time. Unfortunately, we cannot rely on people to do the necessary things to achieve a decent level of proficiency themselves. So now they will be forced to do so. I don't want to hear people crying about the costs for the classes; If they can afford to buy a gun & ammo, they can afford to learn how to use it.

I know 2A is a right and not a priveledge. I don't care about all the arguments and anecdotes about the 1A, voting, and driver's licenses.

The Left doesn't really care about saving lives with this legislation - its about control and making it more difficult to own a gun. But it may well be the one law that actually does save lives. Go figure.

So yeah, I love it.
I can’t wait to take my training and dump hundreds into their classes, so I can buy my CA roster approved pistol with 10rd capacity, just so I can get gunned down by a criminal with a 50rd g19 w/ an frt 😀
 
No, not Gavin but I wish I had his money (and hair).

But I am the outlier in believing that firearms owners should be well trained and have some proficiency before taking a gun home for the first time. Unfortunately, we cannot rely on people to do the necessary things to achieve a decent level of proficiency themselves. So now they will be forced to do so. I don't want to hear people crying about the costs for the classes; If they can afford to buy a gun & ammo, they can afford to learn how to use it.

I know 2A is a right and not a priveledge. I don't care about all the arguments and anecdotes about the 1A, voting, and driver's licenses.

The Left doesn't really care about saving lives with this legislation - its about control and making it more difficult to own a gun. But it may well be the one law that actually does save lives. Go figure.

So yeah, I love it.
Maybe this 6 year old should take the training too. https://www.wbaltv.com/article/police-video-virginia-6-year-old-shot-teacher-zwerner/74079765

I swear people think the government can make everything safe if the put enough red tape in front of it. Its called being responsible and educating yourself. This mom of the kid needs to be locked up for a long time and that kids needs some serious education and discipline.

Also when you say the left you should just say we because it sounds like you are in that group.
 
Back
Top Bottom