- Messages
- 401
- Classified ads
- 1
Title. Im reaching my 5 transactions for the year and wondering if I can sell 1 or 2 more and ship em to a buyer out of state. Do i have to report these sales on CFARS or something?
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
thats good to know, thanksNope, just ship em out of state from california.. The 5 is in person within the state
Nope, just ship em out of state from california.. The 5 is in person within the state
If there is no DROS involved, how would CA know? Or am I mistaken on that.I don't think that's correct. An out-of-state GunBroker sale shipped to an FFL isn't a California PPT, but the five-transaction rule isn't written as a five-PPT or five-in-person-sales limit. PC 16730 defines “infrequent” as fewer than six transactions per calendar year and defines a transaction as a single “sale, lease, or transfer” of any number of firearms. It doesn't say the transaction has to occur in person or within California. PC 27895 also specifically addresses a California resident selling or transferring a firearm to an out-of-state FFL, so California law clearly recognizes this as a sale/transfer.
If there's some other provision that excludes an out-of-state sale from the transaction count I'd like to see it, I haven't found one.
No DROS doesn't necessarily mean there's no record of the transaction. If you ship it to an out-of-state FFL, there can still be the receiving FFL's acquisition records, shipping/tracking records, payment records, emails/messages, GunBroker or other marketplace records, and your own records. An FFL's records can also be examined by ATF and traced in connection with a firearm investigation.If there is no DROS involved, how would CA know? Or am I mistaken on that.
Dont get all worked up, it will NOT show up anywhere because it doesn't really count. California WANTS you to ship guns out of the state so they cheer for this. Just ship it, its a win for you and the state of californiaI would err on the safe side and say itd raise eyebrows with the CADOJ, if they found out. If its not specified as A-Okay with them. I have talked about this previously with other FFLs and they have shrugged and said it wouldnt be a big deal, but having my own C&R makes me wary
I've heard that as well, PAXThis is not legal advice but I once did a ppt with a cop and he told me he does way more than 5 transfers per year and that no one pays attention to any of that