18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

FAQ Can you purchase a firearm in CA with a P.O Box?

Frequently Asked Questions

SSSLICKSSS

Member
Messages
35
Classified ads
2
I am asking for a friend So before anyone bashes this right away I know your not allowed to use a P.O Box as a address for a DROS because you need a physical address but my question is what if you are in a program called “Safe at Home”? This program keeps me from displaying my actual address and hides me from being found so therefore it’s a law that they need to accept my address they gave me which is a P.O. Box. I need help on how to go about the right way to do it. Thank you.
 
As a FFL I know the CADOJ allows Police Officer to use their Department Address on the DROS to keep that info private.
The ATF though 100% does not and requires your physical address where you live.

I am not away of a single exemption to this.
 
what if you are in a program called “Safe at Home”? This program keeps me from displaying my actual address and hides me from being found so therefore it’s a law that they need to accept my address they gave me which is a P.O. Box.
Reading the information on Safe at Home that is not what the program list. Its more for you to request that persons/companies/ect are not able to "publicly" display your address and phone number. Since the 4473 and DROS are not public info this program does not exempt you from listed your address.

Unless i'm reading California Government Code section6208.1 wrong.
 
I am asking for a friend So before anyone bashes this right away I know your not allowed to use a P.O Box as a address for a DROS because you need a physical address but my question is what if you are in a program called “Safe at Home”? This program keeps me from displaying my actual address and hides me from being found so therefore it’s a law that they need to accept my address they gave me which is a P.O. Box. I need help on how to go about the right way to do it. Thank you.
There's no exemption because you live in a DV shelter federally. Safe at Home doesn’t create a federal 4473 exemption. California agencies generally have to honor the substitute address, but ATF Form 4473 still requires the buyer’s actual current residence address and specifically says a P.O. Box cannot be used. The federal government also isn’t required to honor California’s Safe at Home substitute address.
 
As a FFL I know the CADOJ allows Police Officer to use their Department Address on the DROS to keep that info private.
The ATF though 100% does not and requires your physical address where you live.

I am not away of a single exemption to this.
So this is the email my buddy got and I tried to help but do not understand the FFL
Side so many you and other FFLs can help.

So for number 2 the address that the Safe at home program gives its participants is a P.O. Box in Sacramento. Even though he lives here in the Inland Empire. Then all the mail gets forwarded down to him somehow without being on record.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1002.webp
    IMG_1002.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 6
Reading the information on Safe at Home that is not what the program list. Its more for you to request that persons/companies/ect are not able to "publicly" display your address and phone number. Since the 4473 and DROS are not public info this program does not exempt you from listed your address.

Unless i'm reading California Government Code section6208.1 wrong.
Correct
 
So this is the email my buddy got and I tried to help but do not understand the FFL
Side so many you and other FFLs can help.

So for number 2 the address that the Safe at home program gives its participants is a P.O. Box in Sacramento. Even though he lives here in the Inland Empire. Then all the mail gets forwarded down to him somehow without being on record.
This is stupid I'm sorry, he's gonna get a lawyer to try and sue the fed govt over the form 4473? just put your address

"Safe at Home should protect the address on the California/state side, but it does not waive the federal 4473 requirement. ATF still requires the buyer’s actual physical residence address. The Safe at Home substitute address can be used with state/local agencies, but the federal government and private FFL are not required to treat the P.O. Box as the buyer’s residence address."
 
Last edited:
So this is the email my buddy got and I tried to help but do not understand the FFL
Side so many you and other FFLs can help.

So for number 2 the address that the Safe at home program gives its participants is a P.O. Box in Sacramento. Even though he lives here in the Inland Empire. Then all the mail gets forwarded down to him somehow without being on record.
As I said in the other post.... nothing gets you to hide where you live..... just that info can't be posted publicly.
 
There's no exemption because you live in a DV shelter federally. Safe at Home doesn’t create a federal 4473 exemption. California agencies generally have to honor the substitute address, but ATF Form 4473 still requires the buyer’s actual current residence address and specifically says a P.O. Box cannot be used. The federal government also isn’t required to honor California’s Safe at Home substitute address.
Ok that makes sense so in the picture I posted as a reply shows the email that was sent to him so I just wasn’t sure because it says that federal aren’t required to accept but state is and correct me if I am wrong but the 4473 is federal correct? But under the “DROS” part is state?? Because other states use “NICS” or help me understand.
 
Ok that makes sense so in the picture I posted as a reply shows the email that was sent to him so I just wasn’t sure because it says that federal aren’t required to accept but state is and correct me if I am wrong but the 4473 is federal correct? But under the “DROS” part is state?? Because other states use “NICS” or help me understand.
tl;dr if he doesn't list his physical address then no gun. FFL is a private business.
 
This is stupid I'm sorry, he's gonna get a lawyer to try and sue the fed govt over the forum 4473? just put your address

"Safe at Home should protect the address on the California/state side, but it does not waive the federal 4473 requirement. ATF still requires the buyer’s actual physical residence address. The Safe at Home substitute address can be used with state/local agencies, but the federal government and private FFL are not required to treat the P.O. Box as the buyer’s residence address."
I don’t think he’s trying to get an attorney to sue them that’s just what they sent him which is kind of dumb.
 
I’m a

I’m assuming because he is scared to have his address exposed. Kind of like people who are in “witness protection”? I don’t know honestly.
DROS is State
4473 is Federal

Both want physical address..... that said Im sure a FFL who goes way out of their way might get an OK from the State since this is a CA thing to use the PO BOX but they will still need to give their address for the Federal portion so they are not really hiding anything and it would be pointless.
 
Back
Top Bottom