18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

CCW caliber restrictions

Blarbs

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
2
I’m planning to move to another CA county later this year whose local Sheriff’s office states that they “will not certify weapons less than .380 ACP for a CCW License”. Now I get why most people wouldn’t carry anything less than .380 acp but I don’t appreciate the restrictions. Has anyone here had any luck working with their IA to grant exceptions?
 
Yet another attack, and another infringement. Will take years for a court to even address.

There are disabled people in my family with hand issues (arthritis, tendinitis, etc.)

For some of these types, a .22lr LCP might be the only thing they can confidently and competently carry.

I can think of my mid 80s grandpa who got mugged in Alameda county. Followed home, pushed to the ground, etc.

Bad hands from years of working the trades. Loves a .22 LCP.

Yesenia doesn’t care.
 
I have a friend in Contra Costa county who has a pistol in .22 LR on his CCW. It’s a restrictive county in terms of no optics (and I think weapons mounted lights) but seemed ok with the caliber.
 
Placer County allows .25-.45 caliber. So, for hand issues; the easiest that is accessible might be .32. I’d like to see .22lr/mag allowed, perhaps on an exception like a medical issue basis; but don’t know of any exceptions to the current policy.
 
I’m planning to move to another CA county later this year whose local Sheriff’s office states that they “will not certify weapons less than .380 ACP for a CCW License”. Now I get why most people wouldn’t carry anything less than .380 acp but I don’t appreciate the restrictions. Has anyone here had any luck working with their IA to grant exceptions?
Talk to them and explain your situation. Can’t hurt.
 
In theory, an individual could file a grievance stating need-based circumstances using the American Disabilities Act as supporting law.
 
I have a friend in Contra Costa county who has a pistol in .22 LR on his CCW. It’s a restrictive county in terms of no optics (and I think weapons mounted lights) but seemed ok with the caliber.
CC County is .32 cal min.
 
Back
Top Bottom