You might have way over shot this lol. I think it proves my point that laws are laws , as silly and ridiculous as they can be . Do I think the ccw laws here are terrible , yes . Do I follow the law ? Yes, as everyone else has chimed in on emphatically. Same with traffic laws , they are codified in traffic laws and their are penalties for people that break them . Do I agree we should roll back some laws in regards to traffic ? Yes.
But here we are playing this game.
I may have been a bit more hostile than needed, sorry about that lol. Your response seemed to indicate I was advocating for breaking the law which I wasn’t; I was just disagreeing that driving the speed limit is “safer” and suggesting we should try to change the law to align with that. That being said, I think when we’re in a situation where there are tens of thousands of laws and regulations governing the activities of our daily lives, sometimes it’s not possible to have them all memorized and front of mind at the time, and we have to fall back on good judgement and apply our own ethics to the situation.
I also think sometimes “the law is the law” is really not true, there is often so much ambiguity and gray area in legislation, even more in regulations, and some things have been litigated (which brings clarification) while others have not. So there is a LOT of gray area where we have to use our common sense and ethical judgement, and PART of that equation is based on what the penalties are for “getting it wrong.” A good example is those braces for pistols that came up on here recently. Do they make the pistol an assault weapon or not? If you read the thread, it’s a bit of a gray area that has not been tested in court. I would shy on the side of caution there and not buy/use one because the potential repercussions are really serious.
On the other hand let’s say an on-call doctor is rushing to the OR for emergency surgery and the sooner he gets there, the more likely the patient lives. Should he go 85mph on a dry, well-lit and sparsely traveled freeway to get there 5 min faster even though that is breaking the speed limit law? I would say yes, given the repercussions on either side of the equation (death of a patient versus a speeding ticket).
Your initial example of carrying a non-permitted gun, to me, is also CLEARLY on the other side of the line - 100% not worth it because the consequences of breaking that law are rather large weighed against almost no “good” coming from breaking it. Now, if someone is living paycheck to paycheck and REALLY can’t afford to go through the CCW process in a really restrictive county where it costs several thousands dollars to go through, and they live in a high crime area or are a woman being targeted by a stalker for instance, that sort of changes the equation. I’m not saying they SHOULD carry in violation of the law in that scenario, but it IS a different question in a significant enough way that just saying “the law is the law” doesn’t really cover the complexity of the situation.