18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

CCW Optics....I'm gonna take off my RMR HD and put on a Holosun EPS carry green dot.

peahi2

Active member
Messages
124
Am I crazy? I'm gonna take the RMR HD off one of my CCWs (3 guns in my county) and put on one of my old EPS carry's with green dot (EPS Carry, MRS..w/ solar panel). The EPS is gonna come off one of my old glocks. This will leave me with EPS carry red dot on my primary CCW, EPS carry green dot on my secondary(this will get the new EPS install), and my third CCW with a full size EPS green optic.

Leaving political discussions aside (since these optics are already purchased, and now a sunk cost), this kicks the RMR HD out of the carry guns rotation completely. I haven't been enthused with the RMR HD. I have a couple of old RMRs, and I'm ok with them. The RMR hasn't lived up to the hype (especially with the price). The self adjusting brightness has been lukewarm at best. I keep it in that mode, and try to really like it, lol, but it just doesn't seem that helpful to my eyes. I guess nothing beats manual adjustment (for me). On my other CCW optics, I just choose a middle of the road brightness that can work in all conditions...master of none..and train with it at the range.

Another thing is I can't clean the glass to crystal clear despite all my different wipes, camera lens cleaning tools, etc. I really like how on the holosun enclosed optics, the surface to clean is fully exposed on both ends and easy to clean. On the RMR, it's hard to get good access to the surface facing the shooter...the hood prevents good access (especially the edges, I just can't get in there). I have astigmatism, and even on that front the holosuns are way better (for my eyes). With the RMR I get like a double starburst...and since I can't clean the glass to crystal clear, a fuzzy picture is combined with the astigmatism. It's like the getting the worst combo possible.

I have a super old SRO on one of my other pistols and I can work with that since it's easier to access the glass for cleaning.

Its a bummer, because I really tried to like the RMR HD for my CCW...I gave it a good long run..over two CCW license periods. Keeping the RMR HD lens clean during daily wear was just too problematic. I even bought all kinds of camera lens cleaning sticks with sponge tip..and even then cannot get the lens crystal clear. It must be a pain in the ass in a real dirty environment...urban CCW isn't exactly rugged use in austere environments.

Trijicon, I really gave it a good run. The high price was an added slap in the face...but I know, it cost much more to manufacture in America (but I'm sure the optic isn't fully American...there must be some foreign components). I was dry firing and working on draws on my RMR HD equipped pistol and just had it with the suboptimal optic (for me).
 
Am I crazy? I'm gonna take the RMR HD off one of my CCWs (3 guns in my county) and put on one of my old EPS carry's with green dot (EPS Carry, MRS..w/ solar panel). The EPS is gonna come off one of my old glocks. This will leave me with EPS carry red dot on my primary CCW, EPS carry green dot on my secondary(this will get the new EPS install), and my third CCW with a full size EPS green optic.

Leaving political discussions aside (since these optics are already purchased, and now a sunk cost), this kicks the RMR HD out of the carry guns rotation completely. I haven't been enthused with the RMR HD. I have a couple of old RMRs, and I'm ok with them. The RMR hasn't lived up to the hype (especially with the price). The self adjusting brightness has been lukewarm at best. I keep it in that mode, and try to really like it, lol, but it just doesn't seem that helpful to my eyes. I guess nothing beats manual adjustment (for me). On my other CCW optics, I just choose a middle of the road brightness that can work in all conditions...master of none..and train with it at the range.

Another thing is I can't clean the glass to crystal clear despite all my different wipes, camera lens cleaning tools, etc. I really like how on the holosun enclosed optics, the surface to clean is fully exposed on both ends and easy to clean. On the RMR, it's hard to get good access to the surface facing the shooter...the hood prevents good access (especially the edges, I just can't get in there). I have astigmatism, and even on that front the holosuns are way better (for my eyes). With the RMR I get like a double starburst...and since I can't clean the glass to crystal clear, a fuzzy picture is combined with the astigmatism. It's like the getting the worst combo possible.

I have a super old SRO on one of my other pistols and I can work with that since it's easier to access the glass for cleaning.

Its a bummer, because I really tried to like the RMR HD for my CCW...I gave it a good long run..over two CCW license periods. Keeping the RMR HD lens clean during daily wear was just too problematic. I even bought all kinds of camera lens cleaning sticks with sponge tip..and even then cannot get the lens crystal clear. It must be a pain in the ass in a real dirty environment...urban CCW isn't exactly rugged use in austere environments.

Trijicon, I really gave it a good run. The high price was an added slap in the face...but I know, it cost much more to manufacture in America (but I'm sure the optic isn't fully American...there must be some foreign components). I was dry firing and working on draws on my RMR HD equipped pistol and just had it with the suboptimal optic (for me).
Go with what works best for you for sure. All of my CCW's now have enclosed dots. The ease of cleaning alone makes it make so much more sense than open emitters anymore.

I have an SRO and love it, never have looked into the RMR HD. Too many less expensive options, often with a better feature set these days.
 
RCR is what you want for a CCW gun from Trijicon. RMRHD is a duty optic to me. EPS Carry is a different size and class of optic so not really that comparable honestly. Lower price point, less tough but gets the job done well, I have one on my VP9K. The RCR has been fantastic everyday for months. I never use auto brightness tbh. Also you need a lens cleaning pen... lol get the Nikon one on Amazon. Problem solved.

And all throughout GWOT we always liked the RMR btw. Carrying openly in a combat environment is not the same as conceal carry daily. You get so much lint and random gunk, I only use enclosed. Thus the RCR. yes the RMR and RCR are 100% American/USA made btw. Some other lines of their optics have Japanese parts
 
I think you are only partially crazy, only because you don't seem to like the RMR HD at all which has become one of my favorite optics. Changing to enclosed for a CCW gun makes sense and all my carry guns are enclosed, except for one with a...RMR HD. There are a lot of benefits and conveniences with enclosed that simplify things.

I do struggle with going back and forth to enclosed on my RMR HD but I am not the biggest fan of the RCR and its a bigger gun so I don't want to go EPS or similar, and I hate Acros. If the RCR had more of the features of the RMR HD I would buy more of them.

Ultimately choose whatever makes sense and is comfortable for you.
 
You are talking about one much larger “duty” optic and one that is much lower profile and very popular for ccw. I like both. But they serve different functions. I have gone full circle and for maximum “concealability” back to irons for my smallest “most” concealed carry, but i use the rmr hd on most my sling/backpack guns. I have found that because it sits forward it doesn’t work on certain gun/mount combos
 
RCR is what you want for a CCW gun from Trijicon. RMRHD is a duty optic to me. EPS Carry is a different size and class of optic so not really that comparable honestly. Lower price point, less tough but gets the job done well, I have one on my VP9K. The RCR has been fantastic everyday for months. I never use auto brightness tbh. Also you need a lens cleaning pen... lol get the Nikon one on Amazon. Problem solved.

And all throughout GWOT we always liked the RMR btw. Carrying openly in a combat environment is not the same as conceal carry daily. You get so much lint and random gunk, I only use enclosed. Thus the RCR. yes the RMR and RCR are 100% American/USA made btw. Some other lines of their optics have Japanese parts
I have used lens pens on my old rmr for years. On rmr HD I guess I could get triangular shaped one to reach the corners. The curvature of the RMR lens doesn’t help. Still tho challenging to get to sparkling clean
 
Back
Top Bottom