18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

CCW Orange County: What’s allowed and what isn’t?

Whiskey Diet

Member
Messages
33
Hey guys,

Doing my CCW live fire training soon and was trying to determine what is and isn’t allowed when it comes to your conceal carry.

Off roster pistols: are these okay and if so/not what are the rules with them?

Barrels, Cerakoating, Slides & Ports: are after market barrels and ported barrels or after market slides okay?

Red dot 🔴: is there any regulations against having a red dot for conceal? Wasn’t planning on carrying with a red dot but just curious.

Thanks in advance guys
 
Off roster is ok. Mods are ok, including optics, lights, cerakote, ports, etc (just no threaded barrels, obviously). Whatever configuration you qualify the weapon with, that’s how it must stay when carrying. So if it has a dot and a light during qual, it must have both installed while carrying. Don’t need to list which specific dot or light, the training cert will just say something like “optic/light” etc. But if you remove an accessory, or change the color, you need to submit an amendment and requal the weapon.
 
Off roster is ok. Mods are ok, including optics, lights, cerakote, ports, etc (just no threaded barrels, obviously). Whatever configuration you qualify the weapon with, that’s how it must stay when carrying. So if it has a dot and a light during qual, it must have both installed while carrying. Don’t need to list which specific dot or light, the training cert will just say something like “optic/light” etc. But if you remove an accessory, or change the color, you need to submit an amendment and requal the weapon.
Thank you for the thorough answer 🙏🏻 super helpful.
 
Thank you for the thorough answer 🙏🏻 super helpful.
I will also add you can change the color of the firearm later but that is all. Say you own a 365 and want to change the grip mod to a wildlson combat fde or Grey you can do that with no issue and no re qual.

Or if you decide to cerakote a gun different colors that is ok to. They made that change last year. As long as you dont change the over all function of the firearm your fine.

The red dot add or removal is new to me. I added an eps carry to my edc and havent had to requal. I even emailed the instructor who did the qual and he didnt say anything needed done. Im going to look it up on OC sheriff website now to be sure but that is the best place to loom for any further questions since they are the IA.
 
I will also add you can change the color of the firearm later but that is all. Say you own a 365 and want to change the grip mod to a wildlson combat fde or Grey you can do that with no issue and no re qual.

Or if you decide to cerakote a gun different colors that is ok to. They made that change last year. As long as you dont change the over all function of the firearm your fine.

The red dot add or removal is new to me. I added an eps carry to my edc and havent had to requal. I even emailed the instructor who did the qual and he didnt say anything needed done. Im going to look it up on OC sheriff website now to be sure but that is the best place to loom for any further questions since they are the IA.
Good to know about the color change, thanks for that. Seems my CCW instructor may not have been up to date with that info when I did my qual. My interviewer also did repeat the info about adding/removing accessories as being considered a modification that would require an amendment. 🤷‍♂️ So much confusing info out there and so much more complicated than it should be.
 
Good to know about the color change, thanks for that. Seems my CCW instructor may not have been up to date with that info when I did my qual. My interviewer also did repeat the info about adding/removing accessories as being considered a modification that would require an amendment. 🤷‍♂️ So much confusing info out there and so much more complicated than it should be.
I agree it has become more of a pain in the ass. Well im not paying $ to add a red dot so F- them ill ride it out to renewal next June. It will never get added anyway. I added a pistol last year still hasn't been accepted. Wasted time and $ and ammo for nothing.

Best advice have everything yiu want kn your lisc. When you qual. Any add one etc. Never make it
 
Last edited:
I agree it has become more of a pain in the ass. Well im not paying $ to add a red dot so F- them ill ride it out to renewal next June. It will never get added anyway. I added a pistol last year still hasn't been accepted. Wasted time and $ and ammo for nothing.

Best advice have everything yiu want kn your lisc. When you qual. Any add one etc. Never make it
Yep, I tried submitting an amendment to remove a pistol that I sold. 3 months later was still awaiting review so I just said screw it and withdrew the app. I’ll just make the change at renewal as well.
 
My trainer did not document a ramjet, only light and red dot as accessories. I asked to make sure and they said it wasn’t necessary.
 
Back
Top Bottom