18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

CCW Red Dot Ban - Contra Costa County petition

john_marsten_1873

⚜️ Member
CAguns Supporter
2026 2 10+ Top
Messages
868
Currently, Contra Costa County - particularly the sheriff - bans red dots for CCW. From digging around the last discussion/decision on this was 2023.

As far as I could find no one has petitioned the governing bodied to revisit this decision which was made by the solely by the sheriff.

I’m considering a petition and bringing it to a board of supervisors meeting but I’m a bit of a chump and I generally like to keep my defense status private. So I don’t want to end up in public meeting minutes.

Anyone, have experience with a similar ban and getting it overturned, perhaps through political pressure?
 
I would start by writing the sheriff and not the board of supervisors. The sheriff is an elected official. Moreover, I would politely and articulately outline why you believe having a red dot is important to CCW. I would not argue this based on any premise of the sheriff not knowing modern trends or technology. Simply state your position and desire to carry a certain sighting system. Bringing this in front of the entire board is not a good idea.
 
Call or send an email to the CRPA. This is right up their alley.

And if you’re not already a member of the CRPA, join.
 
CRPA is, I believe, aware of this already. They have bigger fish to fry. The sheriff has also already been asked repeatedly about it, I don't think he cares about people who ask him about it. My understanding is he doesn't even allow deputies to use red dots, but that info may be old. When I was renewing my CCW earlier this year the person doing the quals said something like there were a few deputies who were trained to use them and it was being re-evaluated for the rest of the dept, but yeah... I don't think it's going to change while he is in office.
 
Back
Top Bottom