18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

CFE223 Loads?

Hylander

Member
Messages
37
Classified ads
1
Anyone use CFE223 with 55gr. Pills, that would like to share your data?
Been using TAC.
Looking for accurate loads, as in well below moa.
 
Five of my .223/5.56 handloads on a Woodland Camouflage as my avatar! Hornady 55gr. FMJ with 25 grains of CFE223 powder works well in my 16” BCM AR rifle.
 
Anyone use CFE223 with 55gr. Pills, that would like to share your data?
Been using TAC.
Looking for accurate loads, as in well below moa.
TAC no good? I will be trying TAC out soon.
 
TAC works fine, gives me moa, but trying to consolidate powders. CFE works great in my 308 and 6 Creedmoor.
Barrel on my AR is 16", Mini-14 is 16" and Savage bolt is 22"
All are 1:9 twist.
 
I'm interested in this too I just picked up a bunch of cfe for a good price
 
So looks like I gotta start from scratch
Yes.
Even if someone else had developed a load that worked good in their gun, they did not develop it in your gun.
Therefore, you have to start from scratch.
The hodgdon link I provided above gives you starting and max loads to work within and should be all you need.
The quality of the bullets and barrel is the biggest factor in ultimate accuracy.
No amount of load work can overcome crappy barrel or bullets.
 
223 plinking loads 27 grains of CFE223 with 55 grain hornady FMJ’s.
 
I typically use 24.5 grains of TAC with 55 grain bullets, but CFE-223 is a little slower burning (more like Varget). In the past, when I used CFE-223 with 55 grain bullets, I used 26.0 grains. I would suggest making a 25.0, 25.5, 26.0, 26.5, 27.0 grain ladder and deciding which works best for you.
 
Back
Top Bottom