- Messages
- 363
As far as I know, there's only one club near me that has banned it, and I won't shoot there because of it. I don't even shoot my 320 that often, but banning it is some gun grabber knee jerk reaction nonsense and I won't support it.
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
It's not a gun grabber issue. Like others said, it's an insurance coverage issue. The range isn't covered if theres an incident which threatens the entire facility.As far as I know, there's only one club near me that has banned it, and I won't shoot there because of it. I don't even shoot my 320 that often, but banning it is some gun grabber knee jerk reaction nonsense and I won't support it.
Not sure what the issue is, I throw mine across the room and it hasnt gone off yet![]()
I don’t think this is it. First of all, knowing some underwriters and risk control folks, I doubt they are well versed enough in the firearms world to even know about this controversy or factor it into their analysis. Second, I doubt ALL these businesses have the same insurer and/or the same renewal dates. Something like this would not come about mid-policy-period, it would be as part of a renewal (they can’t just change rates mid period). I think it’s just the news/social media cycle and businesses reacting to public sentiment and when a high profile incident occurs like the Air Force One, a bunch of businesses act.I suspect its really their insurance underwriters that banned any of them. Too many all banned within a week of each other for that to be coincidental.
This is why our club go rid of it and some others I know of. They didn't want to FAFO if it was public information. Many have the same insurer because there's only so many insurers for gun ranges and liabilities. These types of communities are very very small.I don’t think this is it. First of all, knowing some underwriters and risk control folks, I doubt they are well versed enough in the firearms world to even know about this controversy or factor it into their analysis. Second, I doubt ALL these businesses have the same insurer and/or the same renewal dates. Something like this would not come about mid-policy-period, it would be as part of a renewal (they can’t just change rates mid period). I think it’s just the news/social media cycle and businesses reacting to public sentiment and when a high profile incident occurs like the Air Force One, a bunch of businesses act.
I don’t think this is true. It’s somewhere in the middle; I doubt any insurer has attempted to write in an exclusion or endorsement altering coverage for sig p320s specifically. It’s about ranges being worried about an incident occurring (which would be covered) and then having the occurrence impact their rates.It's not a gun grabber issue. Like others said, it's an insurance coverage issue. The range isn't covered if theres an incident which threatens the entire facility.
The point being its still an insurance issue. It's not a separate rider for it because like i said Sig is not doing anything about it and it is a publicly known issue. It's banned more because Sig has decided not to do anything but the risk still remains. Insurance is indirectly related, not necessarily the policy, but as mentioned if anything does happen word travels fast and people would rather not deal with the issue if the Manufacturer themselves are ignoring the issue.I don’t think this is true. It’s somewhere in the middle; I doubt any insurer has attempted to write in an exclusion or endorsement altering coverage for sig p320s specifically. It’s about ranges being worried about an incident occurring (which would be covered) and then having the occurrence impact their rates.
Are the underwriters you know dealing specifically with firearms related facilities? Insurers I've spoke to have specific departments that handle ranges/firearms independently from their other policies.I doubt they are well versed enough in the firearms world to even know about this controversy or factor it into their analysis.
You have LAX ammo in there?Not sure what the issue is, I throw mine across the room and it hasnt gone off yet![]()
You have LAX ammo in there?
Oh no you misunderstood me, I just meant it wouldn’t be a “this incident isn’t covered because p320s were excluded in the policy” issue, but rather a “as a range owner I can’t risk a p320 incident based on what I’ve seen online or in person, so I’m banning them from my range to prevent an accident that would cause my insurance rates to skyrocket.”The point being its still an insurance issue. It's not a separate rider for it because like i said Sig is not doing anything about it and it is a publicly known issue. It's banned more because Sig has decided not to do anything but the risk still remains. Insurance is indirectly related, not necessarily the policy, but as mentioned if anything does happen word travels fast and people would rather not deal with the issue if the Manufacturer themselves are ignoring the issue.
Ranges have the option to ban what they want for public safety. Similarly, steel cased ammo is another concern.
Are the underwriters you know dealing specifically with firearms related facilities? Insurers I've spoke to have specific departments that handle ranges/firearms independently from their other policies.
If you known there's a defect in a common platform, common sense has to rule, why would you let people use it on your property if the manufacturer isn't ignoring the issue. I own the platform, but get the reluctance, use another firearm. Hopefully, Sig will acknowledge the issue.
I've also known enough people where their firearm had issues and they ultimately changed platforms. So where you're saying it isn't a thing and mostly paperwork. People on ranges see P320s have issues over the years in person. So I understand why ranges decide to avoid having them because no one wants to test their insurance policy, where because you work in it and because you say it should be covered isn't a reason to take that risk for ranges who have seen issues, why aren't always publicized.
I would not recommend poking the bear. Being in the industry I have not heard one incident or insurance keeping up on current firearm/ammo trends to advise ranges on what they should/shouldn't allow.…or maybe I shouldn’t poke the bear and make them aware of something they aren’t already talking into account…
I tend to agree with this, once the narrative caught on now the gun gets blamed for user error. Several high profile cases have turned out to be this (air force). Couple this with the fact that there are 5 million of these out there and that’s plenty of guns for a normal 0.001% problem that ALL guns see seem like something more. These things also do have shorter lighter triggers which makes NDs more likely than say a DA/SA gun or other designs. I also agree many of these incidents likely involved people who messed with the guns themselves.My 2 cents:
#1 Most these places banning 320's are ran by FUDDS.
#2 NDs/ADs happen every day at ranges. People are new/careless/sloppy/ect with all types of guns. If it happens with a Glock/Springfield/Walther/HK the shooter was sloppy. If it happens with the 320 iTs ThE gUnS fAuLt!>
#3 I have personally seen so many guns and seem to go off on there own. Some have been "worked on" by the owner. Glocks go full auto after some work. A Walther that would "cook off" rounds and a Kimber that went full auto out of the box that I have personally witnessed.
I feel the 320 is just the boogeyman everyone wants to blame rather than take accountability for crap gear/parts installed by inexperienced people.
End Rant
Has an insurer actually said/done anything or are some ranges/instructors simply anticipating that they might?
I would not recommend poking the bear. Being in the industry I have not heard one incident or insurance keeping up on current firearm/ammo trends to advise ranges on what they should/shouldn't allow.
This is a owner/management choice.
This is exactly my understanding of the situation. The range doesn't want to FAFO is the case. A lot of people like to assume, capitulation but the reality is the manufacturer is giving no reason or assistance to help address the issue.Oh no you misunderstood me, I just meant it wouldn’t be a “this incident isn’t covered because p320s were excluded in the policy” issue, but rather a “as a range owner I can’t risk a p320 incident based on what I’ve seen online or in person, so I’m banning them from my range to prevent an accident that would cause my insurance rates to skyrocket.”
That’s a totally reasonable business decision from a range owner’s perspective. And I think an insurance carrier would also be wise to know about the risk and take it into account when underwriting, I’m just not sure they do on an individual basis or on an existing policy. Some might have that as part of an analysis for new business (whether the facility bans p320s could impact whether they want to insure them), but it wouldn’t be a policy exclusion thing I don’t think.
I can understand the sentiment but can say that as a RO and RM for many many matches and training classes. I do see issues with multiple platforms but AD/ND's are usually user error. I have seen multiple SigNades as well in the same time period where people blew up their gun, which was mainly sig unfortunately. I'm not a FUDD or an idiot.My 2 cents:
#1 Most these places banning 320's are ran by FUDDS.
#2 NDs/ADs happen every day at ranges. People are new/careless/sloppy/ect with all types of guns. If it happens with a Glock/Springfield/Walther/HK the shooter was sloppy. If it happens with the 320 iTs ThE gUnS fAuLt!>
#3 I have personally seen so many guns and seem to go off on there own. Some have been "worked on" by the owner. Glocks go full auto after some work. A Walther that would "cook off" rounds and a Kimber that went full auto out of the box that I have personally witnessed.
I feel the 320 is just the boogeyman everyone wants to blame rather than take accountability for crap gear/parts installed by inexperienced people.
End Rant
Sig has put a lot of time and resources into trying to duplicate the reported incidents. Many have turned out to be explainable (key scratches...) and the outright false report of in the Air Force incident has certainly tainted the issue. What Sig hasn't done is found or fixed anything. Perhaps there's nothing to find or perhaps a defect with an infinitesimally small occurrence is eluding them.but the reality is the manufacturer is giving no reason or assistance to help address the issue.
My Response to this is people lie.... I have them in my store trying to get me to fix what they messed up.I have seen multiple SigNades as well in the same time period where people blew up their gun, which was mainly sig unfortunately. I'm not a FUDD or an idiot.
The difference is many of these happen with stock Sig's vs modified other brands.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!