18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Considering moving from California to a Free State. Looking for advice, ideas, books, websites.

Wolkenflieger

🛡️ Range Member
Range Member
2026 2 10+ Top
Messages
1,895
Classified ads
1
Hi All,

I've been thinking about moving to a free state for a while now. I'm looking for advice from people who've done it, or those considering the same. Any advice, videos, books, sites, are welcome.

My situation;

I'm 58 and will have access to my 401k funds without penalty as of 59.5, and I have investments. I can retire at 62 where I will receive Social Security if I take the earliest retirement window. Girlfriend is 64 and already retired and on SS. I can work from anywhere in the U.S.. I'm looking favorably at Constitutional Carry states with low property tax like Tennessee. Also open to other Constitutional Carry states like South Carolina, Iowa, West Virginia, etc.

• Tennessee: ~0.45% to 0.50% (also has no state income tax).

Having four seasons is good, but I'm trying to avoid an area which is too cold or snowy.

Why?

For one, I don't want to live in a state run by Newsom and his ilk, like the gawd-awful Karen Bass. I want to get away from 🍌 politics/politicians, and the 🍌 ideologues themselves.

Free state for firearms is another consideration. CA is so exhaustively restrictive and it just feels bad anytime I want to order a gun part from a company which absolutely won't ship to CA, or makes me jump through hoops like extra shipping costs or having to sign for delivery. The roster is a pain in the bum, and a lot of guns simply aren't available to us in CA unless we go the PPT route at higher costs. I lost some hearing as a youngster (fever) and the idea that I can't buy a suppressor for a gun is utterly absurd, and fin grips are another insult. I don't see anything getting better with respect to guns and gun rights in CA. I'd like to be rid of the excise tax, the roster, mag limitations from standard capacity, etc.

Crime. I don't see this getting better. CA is way too soft on crime, including the way L.A. was allowing thieves to steal up to $950 worth of merch with no repercussions. To me, this is a state gone insane. I also would prefer a state with a strong castle doctrine, or where the family of some lowlife home-invader can't sue me into the poorhouse after the fact if I dispatch them with a high-velocity missile weapon.

Homelessness and tolerance for open-air drug-use. Need I say more? San Francisco and L.A. are lost in this regard. To me, this is a cancer that will spread.

Traffic. Not a huge concern as I work-from-home, but I see how bad it is when I do drive.

Homeowner's Insurance. This has doubled because of the insane mishandling of the Palisades Fires, replete with Karen Bass's empty reservoirs. Insurance companies are spreading their losses out to us policy-holders. I don't see this improving anytime soon, especially when people like Spencer Pratt can't even get on the ballot (for some reason). Bass is criminally negligent in my view. This culture of incompetence comes from the top, Newsom on down.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

P.S. I would never vote in a way to ruin a free state, FYI.
 
Last edited:
At 58, going to be hard to find a job unless you have something that is needed at the state you move to at a lower cost than the youngins. Just consider yourself retired if you do not have a job at the moment.
 
At 58, going to be hard to find a job unless you have something that is needed at the state you move to at a lower cost than the youngins. Just consider yourself retired if you do not have a job at the moment.
I can work anywhere in the nation with my L.A.-based job. No issues there, but I appreciate the advice. I can retire in 4 years and draw from my 401k in 1.5 years. We would sell our CA home after securing something in TN (or similar free state).
 
Just visited Nashville a few weeks ago. Spent 5 days there. Place was great, people very friendly, conservative, streets and roads were in excellent condition and clean. Wife and I spent a day looking at Franklin TN. It may be a little too far for us since we have so many family ties here in CA, but we're definitely going back annually to keep looking. We're likely going to end up in ID or AZ..... eventually. Good luck
 
I'm an atheist. Practical real-world advice preferred.
Another atheist moving to the Bible Belt. I was a professional mover for over 20 years, and was once atheist myself. Tennessee is a great state with many lakes to enjoy but it can get really hot. It’s beautiful and has a kind welcoming populations of people with strong religious morals. My kind of state. Nothing like California. A state where Jesus is real world advice, consider that before saying something which might be considered disrespectful to your new neighbors. No you don’t need to start going to church or anything but locals in Tenn are very social and there religious is a big part of that.
Where ever you end up, My you be blessed in your new surroundings
 
Just visited Nashville a few weeks ago. Spent 5 days there. Place was great, people very friendly, conservative, streets and roads were in excellent condition and clean. Wife and I spent a day looking at Franklin TN. It may be a little too far for us since we have so many family ties here in CA, but we're definitely going back annually to keep looking. We're likely going to end up in ID or AZ..... eventually. Good luck
Nice, thanks for this. I've been reading a ton on Reddit from people who moved from some state (CA included) to TN, along with commentary from TN locals. Franklin has come up a few times, along with areas to avoid. I'm looking at East TN but also some less expensive areas in the west (not Memphis or Shelby County).

My girlfriend is a little resistant to the idea but I've always had to push her to move, and it's always paid-off. :D
 
Just sold my house, making plans to move to Arkansas. It's the exact opposite of Kalifornia in almost every way.
I love it. I would consider Arkansas too. It's on my Constitutional "Free State" Carry list. The thing is, I know some people in East TN and my cousin lives in South Carolina, so I guess I'd have some friends/fam nearby, but I'm not limited to TN.

One of the issues I've experienced recently is that CA houses are so close together that every time I step out to my front yard I smell my neighbor's disgusting cologne. He must wear 46 gallons of it. I just want distance away from people unless I'm feeling social.
 
Another atheist moving to the Bible Belt. I was a professional mover for over 20 years, and was once atheist myself. Tennessee is a great state with many lakes to enjoy but it can get really hot. It’s beautiful and has a kind welcoming populations of people with strong religious morals. My kind of state. Nothing like California. A state where Jesus is real world advice, consider that before saying something which might be considered disrespectful to your new neighbors. No you don’t need to start going to church or anything but locals in Tenn are very social and there religious is a big part of that.
Where ever you end up, My you be blessed in your new surroundings
I appreciate the cultural insight! Truth be told, I used to be religious. I grew up Catholic for the first 20 years of my life until I questioned my faith. So, I understand the mind of a Christian (yes, Catholics are a type of Christian) and I also played guitar for my little Protestant bible group when I was about 17-18. I also went to Baptist churches as a kid (neighbor's church) and had Mormon friends (one of whom tried to steal my first girlfriend). I like Mormons generally, so I don't judge them all by that jerk. Unfortunately, he was a devastatingly handsome jerk so the women loved him. My girlfriend at the time looked like a young Audrey Hepburn.

Anyhoot, I would have no trouble accepting Christians as long as they don't mind the company of a heretic. I'm sure there will be a culture shock with the language and emphasis on church. A lot of people can't handle religious debates and they can take atheism personally or be offended by someone rejecting their faith, but none of that is new to me. A gun society is a polite society. :D JK, I would probably avoid any impromptu religious debates. I spent decades debating this topic online, which inckuded newsgroups even before the Internet went wide in 1995.

Most people in my life have been religious, and a lot of them aren't (tech world). In CA it's a total non-issue, but I suspect it wouldn't be a non-issue in TN depending on the person/context.
 
Last edited:
I'm an atheist. Practical real-world advice preferred.
While I agree with most if not all of your sentiment regarding California I ask that you do 3 things. 1 Wait until after November to see how things shake out here. 2 wait until this time next year to see if the Supreme Court can put a meaningful notice on the 9th Circus. 3 Take the former advice seriously. May you find Jesus' love and guidance.
 
While I agree with most if not all of your sentiment regarding California I ask that you do 3 things. 1 Wait until after November to see how things shake out here. 2 wait until this time next year to see if the Supreme Court can put a meaningful notice on the 9th Circus. 3 Take the former advice seriously. May you find Jesus' love and guidance.

What might happen after November?

I was a Christian for the first 20 years so I've been to the top of the mountain, so to speak. :)
 
Left in 2020 to az. For us was great location especially family wise and fur things we like to do.

But like any new place suggest going to area you consider look around hit local stores see what type of people are there etc. things you enjoy hobby wise will they be able to do weather can you handle it etc.

Don’t blame you for leaving some here will get mad for leaving the fight but ca will only go further left look back to grey Davis we all thought he was beyond commie then compare now. Enjoy the move when it comes.
 
I appreciate the cultural insight! Truth be told, I used to be religious. I grew up Catholic for the first 20 years of my life until I questioned my faith. So, I understand the mind of a Christian (yes, Catholics are a type of Christian) and I also played guitar for my little Protestant bible group when I was about 17-18. I also went to Baptist churches as a kid (neighbor's church) and had Mormon friends (one of whom tried to steal my first girlfriend). I like Mormons generally, so I don't judge them all by that jerk. Unfortunately, he was a devastatingly handsome jerk so the women loved him. My girlfriend at the time looked like a young Audrey Hepburn.

Anyhoot, I would have no trouble accepting Christians as long as they don't mind the company of a heretic. I'm sure there will be a culture shock with the language and emphasis on church. A lot of people can't handle religious debates and they can take atheism personally or be offended by someone rejecting their faith, but none of that is new to me. A gun society is a polite society. :D JK, I would probably avoid any impromptu religious debates. I spent decades debating this topic online in newsgroups even before the Internet went wide in 1995.

Most people in my life have been religious, and a lot of them aren't (tech world). In CA it's a total non-issue, but I suspect it wouldn't be a non-issue in TN depending on the person/context.
Sounds like you would do just fine in Tennessee brother. Only real negative i think about are the bugs but you’ll get used to it

When I started off in the business our company worked closely with another company in San Diego that’s owner was also the bishop of the LDS out there. Good hard working people who handle their own. I like Mormons but when you move a Mormon family, those boxes are solid heavy. Dry food and can foods for days
 
I’ve thought about it, mostly to escape the homeless issues you mentioned. But it’s in every state and growing. Remember Boise v Martin started in Idaho. So you could move to a lesser climate and area and just experience the same problems in 5 years.

Guns and politics are not anywhere near close to my entire identity. I have every gun I could want, don’t really care about the fin. Sure, suppressors would be cool. But again, a lot of these states are turning purple and will probably be under the same restrictions in your lifetime.

I think the only sane way to do it is think if the place you are moving to had the same politics, gun laws and homelessness would it still be a place worth moving to?
 
I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the deserts bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That being said, in my teens, I chose a career that had me travel all over this great nation and even outside of it. While there's plenty of places I wouldn't recommend, there's one shining example that I would: Oklahoma City. This was the final stop on my whirlwind tour of a career and the only place I've been that I would consider moving back to.

Follow along with me here: friendly people; low taxes; low cost of living & housing; common- sense crime laws; world-class venues for sports, concerts, etc.; amazing opportunities to enjoy the outdoors; culture; museums; history; international airport; constitutional carry. Including open carry. Including long guns.

Sure, it snows sometimes, and tornadoes are thing in the areas  around the City, but it was nothing this transplant couldn't handle. If it weren't for pre-existing commitments in CA upon retirement, I might have stayed.

I'll share one story, then I'll step down from my soap box: when it was time to buy our home here, my wife was working with some finance guy to get us approved for a loan. When she asked how much we qualified for, she was bowled over by his response. Without missing a beat, my small-town Oklahoma girl replied: "Sir, I could buy every house in my hometown with that amount of money; we won't need that much!" So, yeah, CA middle class is more like OK rich...
 
Im surprised that Idaho isn't on your short list. Boise got a little more expensive during the pandemic moves, but not Austin expensive. HP and Micron have major presence in there so it has structure, but largely a college town. 4 seasons, lower cost of everything, no bugs. Free state.
 
Im surprised that Idaho isn't on your short list. Boise got a little more expensive during the pandemic moves, but not Austin expensive. HP and Micron have major presence in there so it has structure, but largely a college town. 4 seasons, lower cost of everything, no bugs. Free state.
Couldn’t agree more. Boise or the surrounding areas of, is definitely on my radar. People are nice, it’s clean, hardly see any homeless. Basically the opposite of California. Speaking of nice, I was driving in Boise when I was up there last weekend and I accidentally cut somebody off that was in my blind spot. We ended up being side-by-side at the next light, so I waved my hand in an apologetic manner. Expecting the middle finger as a return response, the person I cut off said to me said “ it’s OK, mistakes happen, have a great day!” I was floored. The rental I was driving did have an Idaho license plate. That probably had something to do with the other driver being cordial. I heard if you’re driving around in Phoenix with a California license plate, expect to be pointed out as number one (middle finger) everywhere you go.
 
Last edited:
I'm still at least 10 years from retiring, but I occasionally ponder my future relocation. The issue at hand for me is that 24/7/365 access to a range is a priority, whether an actual range facility or being able to shoot on my own land out to at least 600 yards. Lower cost of living isn't a huge priority in the sense that everywhere that I would move to would be less expensive than California, regardless.
 
Back
Top Bottom