18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

CCW Contra Costa County

I was allowed to use AIWB for my qual. You will not need to purchase an OWB WML holster unless that's just something you want.
When I qualified I remember they wanted only 3 or 9 ‘o clock worn holsters. Did they allow you to appendix it? Or did they require you move your IWB to 3 or 9 ‘o clock?
 
We didn't get into that nitty gritty, especially as thanks to Boland, there are so many guns that come factory-ready for red dots.

By my read of the agreement, guns milled for slides should fall within it, as long as you don't do other modifications. But let me know if they give you any trouble and I'll reach out and see if we can work that out with them too.

Personally, I wouldn't even mention it's a milled gun, as they may not even be bothered by it unless you draw attention to it.
Did you hear anything about the history behind contra costa county sheriff’s dept. with SAO/1911’s and their disagreements with Concord PD; historically, regarding carrying on duty? I hear this ccw policy was where it stemmed from; historically.
 
It's def possible that they want to discourage people from modifying existing permits, sure.

But you will eventually have to renew, and at that point, you may as well renew with a gun that has a dot/light on it, or a 1911/2011 if that's what you want.

So it's a temporary nuisance for those who want the change now yes, but then it will just be the renewal cycle.
You think the deputies might try to eventually raise the application and permit issuance fee because of this lawsuit or the extra range time needed to qualify folks; since they like to do their own in house quali on the sheriffs range, instead of allowing our ccw instructors to qualify us?
 
They didn’t handle any firearms the second time, just observed. With my initial range day in 2022 they disassembled my shield to ensure the mag disconnect was present.

Second time around I arrived with both guns holstered in case and they didn’t touch either one.
Who checked for the MD? LMAO INSANE
 
You think the deputies might try to eventually raise the application and permit issuance fee because of this lawsuit or the extra range time needed to qualify folks; since they like to do their own in house quali on the sheriffs range, instead of allowing our ccw instructors to qualify us?
Who knows. But now they know we aren't shy about suing. Any abusive fee increase will certainly get my attention.
 
Ok, good to know thank you. Hopefully we won’t have to deal with milled slide discrimination.

So what’s up with this qualifying in the evening appointment for lights? I’m guessing they want us shooting in a low light or no light situation where they want to see that we can draw from a holster with a WMl, manipulate the buttons to turn it on before firing the shot, and then turning it back off; while being safe about it?

We didn't really get into their reasoning, but I assume it's what you describe. I hope someone shows up with NODs lmao.

Did you hear anything about the history behind contra costa county sheriff’s dept. with SAO/1911’s and their disagreements with Concord PD; historically, regarding carrying on duty? I hear this ccw policy was where it stemmed from; historically.

Nah, this is the kind of stuff that we would have dug through in discovery, but as the case settled, we never got that far.
 
are only 1911s and 2011s allowed now or is all single action? Because otherwise then I could put a desert eagle .44 on. Too bad the .32 caliber limit wasn't mentioned, still can't carry a 5.7x28
 
In the meantimes there’s really nothing to stop you from running a dot or light really is there? It’s not illegal
^^^ I’ll renew with the RDS, but until then, I am not requaling with an RDS just to have it on their paper. If it’s legal I see no reason not to carry with one. #AOR
 
Last edited:
^^^ I’ll renew with the RDS, but until then, I am not requaling with an RDS just to have it on their paper. If it’s legal I see no reason not to carry with one. #AOR
I’ve been checked out 3 times with my CCW and I’ve never had a cop so far actually inspect my gun or even verify the gun on license and two of the three didn’t even check that I had a permit
 
Back
Top Bottom