18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Cull Ammo?

chiroken007

The Envy of None
CAguns Prime
Range Member
2026 Top
Messages
827
Any thoughts on processing Cull Ammo? There are some good deals on GunBrokers for calibers I am looking for.

I don’t know much about processing this type of ammo. I would imagine one doesn’t attempt to decap the primers but make sure they are set properly?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
 
I have taken down a lot of ammo in my time. While I have pulled lots of live primers it’s important to check if there are crimped in first. Most times I’ll pull the bullet remove power and fire a primed case. If the primes fire then go about resizing cases and making sure primers are seated properly. Honestly it’s a lot of work. Using a hammer to pull down will prevent damage to the bullets but often the bullet was crimped to hard requiring you to seat the bullet deeper then before. A cam style bullet puller may leave marks on it. The piledriver works very well but it’s louder and snappier then you think
 
Any thoughts on processing Cull Ammo? There are some good deals on GunBrokers for calibers I am looking for.

I don’t know much about processing this type of ammo. I would imagine one doesn’t attempt to decap the primers but make sure they are set properly?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
You would need to get some of the ammo and inspect what's actually wrong with it before you can create a plan on how to make it usable.
It's uncommon that primers need to be removed.
Most gauge fails are going to be related to the brass case dimensions or they could simply be cosmetic.
Cosmetic issues can be overlooked.
Brass cases dimensions can be corrected.

I gauge all the ammo I reload and some fail gauging for various different reasons.
I cull these aside and later correct them if possible.
On shouldered cartridges like 223/308, the primary reason my reloads fail is the shoulder being long.
Redding makes a body die which they tell you is not for resizing loaded ammo, but I will tell you that a redding body die does an excellent job of moving a shoulder back 0.001" to 0.002" when needed and that the redding body die does not touch the neck so the bullet does not need to be removed from the case.
 
Back
Top Bottom