That is an extremely generous offer and I really appreciate it! Unfortunately, I am down in the San Diego area and never really get up that way. Now, if I do actually embark on this little adventure, can I touch base with you for advice?
What part? I occasionally travel south to SD and north county for my job. I'd be willing to help. Easist way is youtube videos. tons of them out there. All the manufactures have recipes to start with.
Most of the people that leave reloading stop because of time and cost. And it is hard to justify starting this in time with inflation and shortages. With the calibers youre doing, you might be alright if your making specific gun ammo and match grade stuff. Powder is the real kicker, its about 2x what it used to cost and no hopes of dropping anytime soon.
Personally. Yes, I saved money( on avg 40-50% saving cost vs new ammo for common calibers, way more for uncommon $ calibers). But it did cost time. I tend to shoot a lot more than most people so recouping costs was faster than most, and I've been doing this for 20 years. I knew shortly after got my first gun and started shooting, that I NEED to reload if I'm to continue enjoying this hobby. I ebayed everything used and started cheap on a single stage. Once i got the hang of it, I wanted to speed up the process so had time for other hobbies too (don't get me started about cars). I immediately went all in on Dillons. That's a big $$ for most people to swallow but i knew it wasn't a phase. This was my lifetime hobby. I LOVE shooting. So for me.. I'm doing something i like, that allows me to do something I love. If youre looking at it from purely a money standpoint, then reloading will be a job, not a hobby.
I found out as I got deeper into reloading. It became a hobby in itself. I reload 19 different calibers.. I love the fact that I can make my own ammo specific to guns. whether its for comp/race guns, mil surps, precision or just bulk plinking. Zero hoops to jump through. I love the experimentation of it. I am a natural born tinkerer.. One old timer told me that
You reload to shoot and you shoot to reload. The final true form of a reloader. Going shooting just so you can pick up the brass and make ammo again.
Some also find it therapeutic. If I've had a hectic week, id sit there and just prime brass or something and listen to music. meat in the smoker. just unwind.