18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Diversifying my ESOP account.

5.56Geo

Member+
2A
Messages
37
I have worked for a true privately owned ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) company for 21 years. I am 57 and I just transfer/diversified 25% of my ESOP stock into an IRA account. I am leaving IRA with the same investment managers of ESOP account for the sake of ease. I am eligible in making 3 more yearly diversification, 25%, 25%, and 50%. Each diversification can be up to 25% of the remaining amount, and 50% the last year. My ESOP stock is not publicly traded and valued once a year. It increased in value 8% last year. Each year our company deposits a percentage of our gross income depending on how much our company makes. Last years, 2025, contribution to the ESOP was 11% of my gross yearly income.

I was conflicted on whether to diversify or keep it in the ESOP. We did extremely well during COVID. One year our ESOP stock went up in value 27%, and the following year it went up 48%! Getting close to my retirement years I feel I need to take out as much as I can out of the ESOP before it gets locked up for 5 years. It’s my understanding that what ever is left in the ESOP at retirement will be untouchable for 5 years. I would like to retire at 60, or no later than 62.

Any advice on future diversifications? It’s scary because it’s real money. Is anybody in a similar position, what did you do? Thanks guys -George
 
I have worked for a true privately owned ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) company for 21 years. I am 57 and I just transfer/diversified 25% of my ESOP stock into an IRA account. I am leaving IRA with the same investment managers of ESOP account for the sake of ease. I am eligible in making 3 more yearly diversification, 25%, 25%, and 50%. Each diversification can be up to 25% of the remaining amount, and 50% the last year. My ESOP stock is not publicly traded and valued once a year. It increased in value 8% last year. Each year our company deposits a percentage of our gross income depending on how much our company makes. Last years, 2025, contribution to the ESOP was 11% of my gross yearly income.

I was conflicted on whether to diversify or keep it in the ESOP. We did extremely well during COVID. One year our ESOP stock went up in value 27%, and the following year it went up 48%! Getting close to my retirement years I feel I need to take out as much as I can out of the ESOP before it gets locked up for 5 years. It’s my understanding that what ever is left in the ESOP at retirement will be untouchable for 5 years. I would like to retire at 60, or no later than 62.

Any advice on future diversifications? It’s scary because it’s real money. Is anybody in a similar position, what did you do? Thanks guys -George
For ESOP if it’s not on the market it’s not Liquid. If you want to be conservative you can just put it in the SPY or hold a % in a money market account for the time being. Leave the main balance to continue to continue to grow but take some off the table to make it liquid. You can do 10-20% if you made a good amount already that won’t hurt but will be something to diversify into. Everything is a little scary right now.

For me having a good stash is important and just take care of the fundamentals.
 
Any advice on future diversifications? It’s scary because it’s real money.

It's scary because you're approaching the end of the road, and there's little time remaining to correct blunders. You mentioned a few good years for the company, so now might be the wise time to take some of it off the table reinvest in a way that provides some diversity. Excessive concentration worries me. I can't give you specific advice, but I'd suggest finding a different investment manager to handle your IRA. Diversification is important in all areas of finance, and you might find that you like one manager better than the other. Go with one of the big firms. The level of service you receive will be proportional to the stack of cash you want to hand them, but they all have experience in dealing with customers with different needs.
 
I guess the million dollar question is... Where will the IRA/ESOP be in 5-7 years when I need it? When I started 21 years a go the company stock was valued at $27 a share, now (2025) it was valued at $147. I have to leave it for 1.5 years where the IRA at or I incur some kind of penalty. I'll transfer it over to one of the other big investment firm after, @ RustyIron solid advise. Thanks guys. -George
 
Back
Top Bottom