18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Do you intervene?

When you hear bad sales people giving bad advice at your FFL, do you ever intervene?

We have specific rules at my company, among them are listening more than talking, never disparaging another product/brand, and provide the "why". Listen to the customer, make your recommendation without trashing other products, and explain why you make your recommendation. Simple.

Saturday I overheard cringeworthy employee help a new gun purchaser make a buying decision by sh*tting on multiple brands, ignoring questions and explaining absolutely nothing. Poor guy had been saving for months. His whole family was there (dad, mom, sister) to watch and support this purchase, which had obviously a been a big decision collectively. All he needed was a little guidance.

I could've answered his questions, pointed out a few options, and helped him make the decision. Instead, I stood and bit my tongue. As always. I don't want to create friction at my FFL... or so I told myself.

Has anyone else actually manned up and intervened? How'd it go?
It actually goes well if you do it before they sell them
 
Has anyone else actually manned up and intervened? How'd it go?
If you hear someone giving bad info to a customer who's new or not sure about something and you know what you're talking about, it's absolutely your duty to speak up and help.

I was doing a PPT to a guy in a Novato gun store, when this couple walks in to pickup their guns. He was 6'5" 300lbs, she was 4'5" 100lbs, the salesman brings out a beautiful $2700 LWRC AR with all the bells & whistles, then he brings out a 12G Mossberg 18" with pistol grip and hands it to the woman. The salesman said "here's the best gun for home defense" and I laughed thinking he was joking, since it was obvious the woman knew nothing about guns.

The 3 of them looked at me and the big guy asked why I laughed and I explained that in my 40+ years of teaching defensive firearms, it was ridiculous to think that she could use the Mossberg for inside home defense. They both turned to the salesman, then I realized that he recommended the Mossberg to them for her, so the salesman starts trying to belittle me to save his azz.

I'm watching this lady barely able to hold and cycle an empty gun, so I asked how many times she's fire a pistol grip 12G, she said "never", same with her hubby. So after telling the salesman my background, he stopped trying to knock me down to save his bad advice. Long story, they traded the 12G pistol grip for a Glock 19 and the husband called me a few weeks later to thank me because his wife loved shooting the Glock.

I don't like making salesman look bad but when they're recommending something you know is wrong and you have experience in something, it's your job to help a new person.
 
If you hear someone giving bad info to a customer who's new or not sure about something and you know what you're talking about, it's absolutely your duty to speak up and help.

I was doing a PPT to a guy in a Novato gun store, when this couple walks in to pickup their guns. He was 6'5" 300lbs, she was 4'5" 100lbs, the salesman brings out a beautiful $2700 LWRC AR with all the bells & whistles, then he brings out a 12G Mossberg 18" with pistol grip and hands it to the woman. The salesman said "here's the best gun for home defense" and I laughed thinking he was joking, since it was obvious the woman knew nothing about guns.

The 3 of them looked at me and the big guy asked why I laughed and I explained that in my 40+ years of teaching defensive firearms, it was ridiculous to think that she could use the Mossberg for inside home defense. They both turned to the salesman, then I realized that he recommended the Mossberg to them for her, so the salesman starts trying to belittle me to save his azz.

I'm watching this lady barely able to hold and cycle an empty gun, so I asked how many times she's fire a pistol grip 12G, she said "never", same with her hubby. So after telling the salesman my background, he stopped trying to knock me down to save his bad advice. Long story, they traded the 12G pistol grip for a Glock 19 and the husband called me a few weeks later to thank me because his wife loved shooting the Glock.

I don't like making salesman look bad but when they're recommending something you know is wrong and you have experience in something, it's your job to help a new person.
Crazy that you’re telling this story…those 🐚s in Novato convinced my 65 year old mom to buy a 357 Colt King Cobra for self defense!
 
My brother in law was interested in a ccw gun and we went to one of my local places where i usually by parts from.Guy was pretty good asked the basics what kind of gun what caliber and purpose etc.pointed out a couple different ones explained the positives and negatives of the guns what some like about certain ones and didnt.

He ended up going with a hellcat as it felt best to him but looked a 365,shield,and compact glock.The owner never pushed him towards one gun and thought he did good.Over the years i have seen some push one specific gun as the one to have and nothing else is close to it.
 
In my town there are several gun stores along the main street, but I will only go to one of them. Why? Because the others have chosen to employ complete morons. The owner and employee in the preferred shop are polite and know a decent amount, and when they are not sure of something they don't BS the customer. In fact, on more than one occasion I've been waiting to do a pick-up or something and the owner has asked me questions WITH a customer because he knows I'm a gun nerd. I try to help him with good info, sometimes it seals a sale for him, and everyone is happy. Back to the original question: No, I don't say anything...I also don't go back to the shop with the moron behind the counter.
 
When I was buying a Trijicon RMR recently for a new handgun, I was about to go with the red dot RMR when a guy behind me said "excuse me, do you have astigmatism?" I was wearing glasses, so this was a reasonable question (I do have mild astigmatism), though I thought it was a bizarre intro. He explained a little and said that he had trouble seeing the red dot, and that a green dot might be better. I had no idea the RMR even came with a green dot, so this was actually helpful to me since I'm not super familiar with dot sights (I was an iron sight guy my whole life until now). I went with his recommendation and honestly, it was a great suggestion. I personally don't think that intervening in someone else's business transaction is desirable, or appropriate. However, if someone asks or if you really think you can be very helpful, free advice can be positive. Just don't interfere with the transaction or you'll really piss off the shop.
 
Last edited:
I should add to my very chill response above I love messing with people in real life when they’re not expecting it and these types of conversations are almost irresistible catnip for that type of thing.

One funny approach is to take the nugget of bad advice they’ve offered and exaggerate it even further to the point of such absurdity other people feel compelled to intervene and correct it.

Life is short we’re a social species have some fun while you’re around to do it.

If you want to really have fun with this start trying to talk random strangers out of buying ordinary every day items at the grocery store I’ve made lifelong friends doing this sort of thing when they ultimately realized I was just joking around.

my brother and I have some really funny stories about doing this when we’re younger. Someone reaches for yogurt “oooooof I wouldn’t do that if I were you: begin whose line is it anyway about that yogurt”
 
I should add to my very chill response above I love messing with people in real life when they’re not expecting it and these types of conversations are almost irresistible catnip for that type of thing.

One funny approach is to take the nugget of bad advice they’ve offered and exaggerate it even further to the point of such absurdity other people feel compelled to intervene and correct it.

Life is short we’re a social species have some fun while you’re around to do it.

If you want to really have fun with this start trying to talk random strangers out of buying ordinary every day items at the grocery store I’ve made lifelong friends doing this sort of thing when they ultimately realized I was just joking around.

my brother and I have some really funny stories about doing this when we’re younger. Someone reaches for yogurt “oooooof I wouldn’t do that if I were you: begin whose line is it anyway about that yogurt”
They might also think you're crazy or stupid if they possess an ounce of critical-thinking, but if they also think it's funny then yeah this might be worthwhile if you enjoy that sort of thing. This is all until they realize you're joking, but not everyone has a sense of humor.

For example my former veterinarian was talking sincerely about acupuncture for cats. I thought she was incredible gullible and stupid in the moment and I offered somd polite logical pushback. I still liked her, but I started second-guessing my choice to keep going back.
 
When I was buying a Trijicon RMR recently for a new handgun, I was about to go with the red dot RMR when a guy behind me said "excuse me, do you have astigmatism?" I was wearing glasses, so this was a reasonable question (I do have mild astigmatism), though I thought it was a bizarre intro. He explained a little and said that he had trouble seeing the red dot, and that a green dot might be better. I had no idea the RMR even came with a green dot, so this was actually helpful to me since I'm not super familiar with dot sights (I was an iron sight guy my whole life until now). I went with his recommendation and honestly, it was a great suggestion. I personally don't think that intervening in someone else's business transaction is desirable, or appropriate. However, if someone asks or if you really think you can be very helpful, free advice can be positive. Just don't interfere with the transaction or you'll really piss off the shop.
Some shops will let you see both if they have 'em in stock. Easy way to compare! I'm a green dot guy myself for my Holosun EPS Carry and 507 Comps on various guns.
 
They might also think you're crazy or stupid if they possess an ounce of critical-thinking, but if they also think it's funny then yeah this might be worthwhile if you enjoy that sort of thing. This is all until they realize you're joking, but not everyone has a sense of humor.

For example my former veterinarian was talking sincerely about acupuncture for cats. I thought she was incredible gullible and stupid in the moment and I offered somd polite logical pushback. I still liked her, but I started second-guessing my choice to keep going back.
This assumes you’re selling something. I’m usually not beholden to many people.

The skills you build interacting with strangers in this way make it worth the trouble. If people don’t have a sense of humor about it it’s all the funnier honestly no reason to live your life in fear of offending or bothering people if they’re so uptight they can’t handle good natured conversation with someone they’ve just met they’re probably pretty insecure. Getting out of your shell and talking to strangers who are already on the defensive I is a critical skill that can only be learned one way.
 
Back
Top Bottom