18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Do you intervene?

I had a clerk at a local gun store tell me that the way I was carrying my pistols was illegal. My pistol was in a locked case, the pistol was unloaded with no magazines inserted, but I did have loaded mags next to the pistol.

I told him he was wrong and ignored him.
Have had all kinds of strange behavior from kids behind a counter. I assume they're volunteers bc you wouldn't pay anyone anywhere to behave like most of them.

I just had my buddy tell me he went thru that and worse at a store. I had him get on here. I linked him to what he was going to buy anyway. He setup a ppt and is picking me up so we can go shoot afterwards.
 
Unless someone is pointing a loaded gun at me, I ignore everyone else until it's time for me to attend to my business.

If someone wants to include me in their BS, employee or customer, I generally reply with whatever transaction I'm there for.

Lmk when a gun store installs poles and hires dancers. Then I'll hang out. Otherwise I have other hoes to save elsewhere.
Bahahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣
That last part was funny.
 
And I will intervene when I see something dangerous like someone is sweeping me or others.

As for sales/customer conversations, I’ll mostly stay quiet though I will sometimes chime in with something to help the sale, if appropriate.
 
I generally avoid conflict, and by default wouldn't intervene. I am pretty sure I don't know everything, and it's not my job.

I once did speak to a customer who was looking at a firearm that I do own and enjoy. When the employee stepped away for a bit, I mentioned a couple features of that firearm that impressed me.

I would probably bite my tongue if they were looking at a couple P.O.S. guns I used to own, since I could have just been unlucky and got a rotten example of each.
 
I generally avoid conflict, and by default wouldn't intervene. I am pretty sure I don't know everything, and it's not my job.

I once did speak to a customer who was looking at a firearm that I do own and enjoy. When the employee stepped away for a bit, I mentioned a couple features of that firearm that impressed me.

I would probably bite my tongue if they were looking at a couple P.O.S. guns I used to own, since I could have just been unlucky and got a rotten example of each.
That's what I have done as well. Or offer a couple suggestions and walk away.
 
With all conversations now recorded, I try to say as little as possible while in establishments that sell firearms.
 
There are many related questions. For example, you're at the range, and the person next to you does something stupid or unsafe. Do you intervene? You're chatting with another shooter at the range, or another customer at the gun store (for example while waiting for the counter staff), and they do or want to do something illegal or dumb. Do you tell them or teach them? You observe a gun store customer doing something which is clearly illegal, do you tell the counter staff?

One of my favorite gun store anecdotes: I go to a store to pick up a gun that has been waiting for 10 days. As I walk in, I notice there is a big old Detroit hog (like a Buick or such) with a very large male listening to music in the parking lot, with the engine running. OK, it's a free country, people are free to waste gasoline while enjoying what I consider bad tunes.

Inside there is a line for the counter, and the person in front of me in line is a super hot looking young woman (I'm a hetero horny male). She is carrying a Ruger box, and I have a few Rugers, so to start a conversation (mostly it's my hormones speaking), and I ask her what model she's buying. She doesn't know. I ask whether it's a pistol or revolver (I'm very fond of the Ruger single action cowboy guns), and she doesn't know. I decide that further chatting (= flirting) isn't going to go anywhere, so I leave her alone.

She gets to the head of the line, does her DROS paperwork, and leaves. Now I'm the only customer left in the store, so I ask the counter guy: "What's with her? She's buying a gun and doesn't even know whether it's a revolver or a pistol". They explain: She was there yesterday with her boyfriend, and he picked out the gun, and today she's back by herself. Then I ask "did you see the guy waiting outside in the car", and yes they have him on the security camera, and he was the guy who was here yesterday with her. And he tried buying a gun a few weeks ago, and is prohibited and was denied. So I ask "doesn't this have straw purchase written all over it", and they go "what can we do, she's not illegal".

At this point, do you intervene? Do you call the ATF? I did nothing: picked up my gun, went home, and had a stiff drink. Another felon is now in possession. Good for him. Even better, his lady is really hawt. The world is one screwed up place. Is it my job to rectify all wrongs?
"What can we do?" The store has the option/responsibility to refuse sale if suspected straw purchase, to not do so makes all legal gunshops/or owners look bad.
 
I only intervene when a customer sweeps me and the sales person doesn't correct the person. That is when I put people on notice.

What bad advice some salesperson offers somebody too dumb to know better, that I couldn't care less about. Not my fault that they didn't grow up with a dad, I can't fix the whole world, but I may affect stupidity happening within my own territorial limits.

I can be a real grouch at the range (range is hot) when some young range safety officer fails to tell some other young shooter that playing around with their camera phone with their friends is not appreciated while on the firing line.

I am generally a very agreeable person. However, that is usually only appreciated by other fellow old guys who are serious adults.
 
I only "intervene" when situation calls for it. One time, a lady and her friend is shopping for pistole in the store. The boy friend wanted the petit girl friend to buy the Desert Eagle 44. (He is buying something too so no straw here, just 30 day wait BS) So during the safe operating demonstration, not surprised she cannot function the slide. Sales person try to help, boy friend try to help, she just cannot pull the slide back with her tiny thumb and index finger on the back of the slide. LOL.... So then while trying to contain my laughter, I said, "do you mind if you show you a trick?" Then I proceeded showing her to grab the slide with her entire hand and do a push and pull with both arms. After a few tries, she was able to pull the slide back. Sales done....

What I really dislike but will not intervene is when the buyer, typically a woman, new shooter, looking for something for "HD". They and "boy" friend always gravitates toward the sub-compacts. Being cute I guess. But 9 out of 10, these woman will have a hard time pulling the slide and handling the recoil. The complexity of a semi vs revolver just add to that. Clearly the customer is asking for "advise" from the sales rep, and instead of helping with some real advice, sales rep always happily continue to talk up the sub-compact semi for the sale.

As the saying goes, never ask advice legal or otherwise from the gun shop.
 
There are many related questions. For example, you're at the range, and the person next to you does something stupid or unsafe. Do you intervene? You're chatting with another shooter at the range, or another customer at the gun store (for example while waiting for the counter staff), and they do or want to do something illegal or dumb. Do you tell them or teach them? You observe a gun store customer doing something which is clearly illegal, do you tell the counter staff?

One of my favorite gun store anecdotes: I go to a store to pick up a gun that has been waiting for 10 days. As I walk in, I notice there is a big old Detroit hog (like a Buick or such) with a very large male listening to music in the parking lot, with the engine running. OK, it's a free country, people are free to waste gasoline while enjoying what I consider bad tunes.

Inside there is a line for the counter, and the person in front of me in line is a super hot looking young woman (I'm a hetero horny male). She is carrying a Ruger box, and I have a few Rugers, so to start a conversation (mostly it's my hormones speaking), and I ask her what model she's buying. She doesn't know. I ask whether it's a pistol or revolver (I'm very fond of the Ruger single action cowboy guns), and she doesn't know. I decide that further chatting (= flirting) isn't going to go anywhere, so I leave her alone.

She gets to the head of the line, does her DROS paperwork, and leaves. Now I'm the only customer left in the store, so I ask the counter guy: "What's with her? She's buying a gun and doesn't even know whether it's a revolver or a pistol". They explain: She was there yesterday with her boyfriend, and he picked out the gun, and today she's back by herself. Then I ask "did you see the guy waiting outside in the car", and yes they have him on the security camera, and he was the guy who was here yesterday with her. And he tried buying a gun a few weeks ago, and is prohibited and was denied. So I ask "doesn't this have straw purchase written all over it", and they go "what can we do, she's not illegal".

At this point, do you intervene? Do you call the ATF? I did nothing: picked up my gun, went home, and had a stiff drink. Another felon is now in possession. Good for him. Even better, his lady is really hawt. The world is one screwed up place. Is it my job to rectify all wrongs?
How come she didn't have to wiat 10 days????
 
Buyer: Points at Hi Point. "I saw it on TV featuring gang bangers."

Gun seller: say no more, that right there is a Glock Fotay, best of the best. On sale at $250 (msrp: 209)

Do you intervene?
 
Is this a LGS you know well? If so and depending on how egregious the actions of the counterperson (are they new??) you might want to flag down the Manager and quietly explain. I went behind the scenes with the owner of an extremely well known ("CA Capitol Tactical" Rifle) shop who had an employee who was being a complete Rishard (I spent a LOT of money with them when I first came down with black rifle disease). He was completely understanding and appreciated my coming to him - he had been getting the same reports and I helped cement his decision to address the issue head on.
 
Buyer: Points at Hi Point. "I saw it on TV featuring gang bangers."

Gun seller: say no more, that right there is a Glock Fotay, best of the best. On sale at $250 (msrp: 209)

Do you intervene?
You better not because this is now fiction. Hi-Point did not renew the C9 and is no longer available for such a sweet sale in California. :(
 
You better not because this is now fiction. Hi-Point did not renew the C9 and is no longer available for such a sweet sale in California. :(
I saw that.

Too bad, I dig my C9. Got it on-sale for ~$100 OTD several years ago. Runs like champ. Got their .40 S&W carbine, too.

I’m tempted to get their 10mm carbine now, haha!!
 
Intervened once at a local FFL. Sales rep was a fan of a certain brand and kept trying to sell that brand to the buyer. The buyer came in with the mindset of purchasing a specific firearm but kept getting shut down by the rep and was told her choice (buyer) is a bad firearm and the one the rep recommended is better in all ways. Never mentioned what ways or how it’s better.

I told the buyer to get what she wants to buy and be happy about the purchase. Worse case, she doesn’t like it as much as she thought she did and can sell it on one of the forums here. Turns out she had fired that firearm at an indoor range previously and loved it which is why she wanted to purchase that specific firearm. Once she decided to stick w her initial choice the rep was being short w her and bothered.
 
Back
Top Bottom