18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Do you prefer to train on one handgun brand/platform, or many?

Revolver is a S&W UC .38spl j frame. I use local gun ranges to stay proficient with accuracy, etc.

I drive out to BLM to practice drawing from holster shooting, etc.

You can also practice at home With an unloaded firearm, checked, double checked, triple checked you can lock yourself in a bedroom and practice drawing from IWB/OWB holster, shoulder holster, appendix carry, pocket carry, etc.

You can bring a chair into the room and see if you can, and how fast you can draw your CCW and bare on target from a sitting position; such as car or restaurant using a piece of colored tape or Pic on wall, etc. you can practice standing and drawing, laying down as if you’ve been pushed down, etc.

Murphy’s Law says you will have to draw from an awkward position and more than likely at a disadvantage as you are responding to a threat in progress.

It’s also important to play the mental what ifs game where you think up scenarios, or read about real ones to think up strategies, etc as to how you may respond. Push forward, retreat to safety, cover or concealment if available, are you alone or is family with you, etc. These what if games help train your mind to react in danger instead of going blank and you freeze up.
These are great, and why I attend classes that have these scenarios and then practice with dry fire at home with my holster. But I have kept my p365 stock, with the mag disconnect in place, as it is my CCW, and practicing dry fire with a magazine in, even one I’ve checked and double checked, always worries me.

First off. CC9 vs p365. Not much difference to me overall. Just the butterfly trigger on the CC9 vs i have a flat (RAMM I think) on my p365. The biggest issue for me cc9 is that the controls are WAY low profile to the point of being difficult to use (slide stop take down) but that’s the trade off. Shooting wise, it’s that the triggers feel different. Also the lack of a “regular” safety on the CC9. I’m used to that on most my guns so this trigger safety thing is weird for me. But the CC9 is NOTHING like a VP9 so if you are thinking CC9 cause VP9 dont.

In terms of “training” what i do anyways is no matter what i am “mostly” going to shoot the p365 (my regular ccw—I haven’t been able to switch to CC9 yet) gets shot. I keep the p365 muscle memory up. Even if say it’s a rifle day. The p365 gets time. The rest of it is how “prepared” you wanna be. I do think that on the internet you are definitely gonna get some wide ranging opinions. Make your own. But i dont think anyone would dispute that you definitely should be good at drawing it and dropping the safety (if that’s your manual of arms). Practice at home with dummy rounds/snapcaps loaded. I have dummy rounds that are about the right weight. Again. While i have 3 guns on my permit since the p365 is like 90% of the time that’s what i am proficient at.
Thanks, that’s good to know! I really love my VP9F, and given that I often wear clothing that allows me to carry it, I’m switching it onto my license. If the CC9 is completely different, I won’t worry about missing my window for 2 years, then.

I definitely practice at home. I’ll put up another post someday regarding my horror with the shooting of some of my classmates in the mandatory ccw classes. Not sure why they are barely hitting paper at 5 yards. While I hate that classes are mandatory, I do think everyone who carries should practice. Otherwise, what’s the point?

Which spring? The main recoil one? I THINK i have an aftermarket. Can’t remember. I’ve been shooting it in the current config for a hot sec
I think he’s referring to the trigger return spring, which p365 owners have found unreliable at times.
 
Have you been able to field strip it? I still need to shoot mine, but that takedown lever refuses to turn, I almost 💩 myself trying, I just ended up with sore thumbs.
Yes, I've been able to field strip it several times. The trick for me is to hold it from the top and push with the thumb instead of holding the gun from the bottom and trying to pull the lever down.

1000008597.webp

It's still tougher to operate than the one on my XD but definitely doable.
 
Yes, I've been able to field strip it several times. The trick for me is to hold it from the top and push with the thumb instead of holding the gun from the bottom and trying to pull the lever down.

View attachment 159112

It's still tougher to operate than the one on my XD but definitely doable.
Exactly what I tried. Nada. I'll shoot it first and see if that breaks it up a little.
 
I think there are two categories of people for this question to be answered in. Competition and enthusiast
If you are a competition shooter it will be easier to stick to a single platform that you grow familiarity within a short period of time because you are training getting used to being under pressure, gripping angles, adjusting, developing techniques, gaining shooting abilities, etc. If you switch up divisions from time to time you as a competitive shooter will keep things fresh.
As a gun enthusiast I have so many different calibers and guns that I love the differences and studying the learning curve to each gun. To me it is personally fascinating and interesting on how the gun was made mechanically, how it shoots, etc. It's also a great way for me to show and teach new shooters that I invite to the range to learn how to shoot a gun and potentially have them buy a gun and get into this hobby/sport. The pro of being an enthusiast is that you have a lot of guns. The cons: well you won't master the learning curve to every gun.
 
Unfortunately, I don't have a G19 so can't give a comparison. I can say that the 4.0C is noticeably easier to carry, comfort and print-wise than my full size xd. But I know that doesn't help.
Looks like I have to do my favorite thing, and buy it to try it, then!

I think there are two categories of people for this question to be answered in. Competition and enthusiast
If you are a competition shooter it will be easier to stick to a single platform that you grow familiarity within a short period of time because you are training getting used to being under pressure, gripping angles, adjusting, developing techniques, gaining shooting abilities, etc. If you switch up divisions from time to time you as a competitive shooter will keep things fresh.
As a gun enthusiast I have so many different calibers and guns that I love the differences and studying the learning curve to each gun. To me it is personally fascinating and interesting on how the gun was made mechanically, how it shoots, etc. It's also a great way for me to show and teach new shooters that I invite to the range to learn how to shoot a gun and potentially have them buy a gun and get into this hobby/sport. The pro of being an enthusiast is that you have a lot of guns. The cons: well you won't master the learning curve to every gun.
This makes sense. I think I prefer to stick to one platform for the most part, but I can't help enjoying everything else, so I try them all out, just in bits so I can continue to improve most on what I carry and have for HD.

Fear the man with 1gun
Right? Or two of the same gun.
 
well… the M&P always comes along. That’s what I start and end with. There may or may not be some 1911 in between, because who doesn’t love a 1911 trigger.

Most of my shooting is 124gr through the M&P. For comparison, my brother takes multiple guns and can’t shoot for s**t with any of them lmao
Haha, I really think spreading out too thin by shooting a large variety of guns can make for a lot of fun, but doesn’t allow for consistent improvement.

Sure, some have enough talent, or shoot so often, that it doesn’t matter, but in every class I’ve taken, the student who boasts the most about the number of guns they shoot is often the worst shot.
 
I was a Marine Corps Pistol team member for 4 years - fully sponsored - all I did was shoot. But I was issued a .45 hardball/service pistol, .45 wadcutter, S&W 52 (.38 full wadcutter), a Beretta 92F, two .22's (primary & backup) and an air pistol. In the many years since I mostly shot my Glock 23 until the last 8 or so years. Today I move between a G43, M&P Shield and G19 as my 3 carry guns. A lot depends on what I'm wearing. I shot my first Action Pistol match in 35 years last fall. My eyes just don't work as well as they used to but when I let myself do it I still got it.
 
Are your ccw pistols different platforms or all one platform (e.g., all Glocks or all S&W)?
About 10 years ago, I made the decision to stick with Glocks and Sigs. Two of one platform G19 and G21 and one of the other P365. I might swap out the G19 for a P229 but maybe not. Biggest problem, which gets your initial post, is that though I started with class DA/SA Sigs, having spent a decade shooting just Glocks, I now find the classic DA/SA has too long of a reset relative to Glocks or the P365. What this means in practice is that at least once in each mag on the classic DA/SA Sigs, I don’t come forward enough. I can shoot the Glocks and P365 just fine as their trigger reset is very similar. Not so much for the classic Sigs.
 
Back
Top Bottom