- Messages
- 560
I was able to take the PDP Compact to the range for the second time since putting on the red dot and this time, tried to really look at the differences in how the guns shoot in my hands.
I made sure to run the same drills with both guns with similar round counts. Granted, I've had the Echelon longer and have taken it to the range many times before, so I'm pretty comfortable with it. But this is only the third time with the NDZ recoil spring guide in the Echelon.
For comparison to these two, I've been carrying my XD9 full size with the same red dot for almost 4 years. I'm very used to how that gun draws and shoots.
This session confirmed what I perceived the first time I shot these back to back in their current configurations (same red dots and both with NDZ recoil spring guides).
The Echelon feels more like a compact gun than the PDP, which feels almost like my full size XD9. It's lighter to carry and feels easier to draw from my T1C MSP Pro Flex holster. Also, I found that I could get the dot on target and fire off a shot drawing from concealed quicker with it than the PDP. It took me just a tad longer to find the dot on the PDP for some reason. Maybe the more reps I've had with the Echelon helped so I'll see if I improve my times with the PDP in the future.
The Echelon seemed more natural to draw and get on target, which seemed counter intuitive since it has a smaller grip than the other guns. And now, with the NDZ guide rod, follow up shots with it are quicker to get off. Drawing the PDP felt like my XD9. Nothing bad about that, just not as good as with the Echelon.
This session also reinforced that the stock trigger on the PDP is awesome. I love it. The trigger on the Echelon is just a wee bit less crisp but it's so much better than my XD9. I dont think I need to change either triggers for my needs.
Another thing I learned is that the PDP is less forgiving with rounds that have primers that aren't seated fully. I had a few reloads where the primers weren't completely flush. These were in Belom cases that had really tight primer pockets. In the past, these rounds cycled through and shot fine with my XD9 and Echelon. But the PDP would have none of that. The slide would lock, not fully closed and it took a lot of force to pull the slide back to eject the round. So, I guess tolerances for the PDP are tighter than in the SAs.
It was fun taking these two new guns to the range. I really can't wait to add these to my CCW when I renew in August.
I made sure to run the same drills with both guns with similar round counts. Granted, I've had the Echelon longer and have taken it to the range many times before, so I'm pretty comfortable with it. But this is only the third time with the NDZ recoil spring guide in the Echelon.
For comparison to these two, I've been carrying my XD9 full size with the same red dot for almost 4 years. I'm very used to how that gun draws and shoots.
This session confirmed what I perceived the first time I shot these back to back in their current configurations (same red dots and both with NDZ recoil spring guides).
The Echelon feels more like a compact gun than the PDP, which feels almost like my full size XD9. It's lighter to carry and feels easier to draw from my T1C MSP Pro Flex holster. Also, I found that I could get the dot on target and fire off a shot drawing from concealed quicker with it than the PDP. It took me just a tad longer to find the dot on the PDP for some reason. Maybe the more reps I've had with the Echelon helped so I'll see if I improve my times with the PDP in the future.
The Echelon seemed more natural to draw and get on target, which seemed counter intuitive since it has a smaller grip than the other guns. And now, with the NDZ guide rod, follow up shots with it are quicker to get off. Drawing the PDP felt like my XD9. Nothing bad about that, just not as good as with the Echelon.
This session also reinforced that the stock trigger on the PDP is awesome. I love it. The trigger on the Echelon is just a wee bit less crisp but it's so much better than my XD9. I dont think I need to change either triggers for my needs.
Another thing I learned is that the PDP is less forgiving with rounds that have primers that aren't seated fully. I had a few reloads where the primers weren't completely flush. These were in Belom cases that had really tight primer pockets. In the past, these rounds cycled through and shot fine with my XD9 and Echelon. But the PDP would have none of that. The slide would lock, not fully closed and it took a lot of force to pull the slide back to eject the round. So, I guess tolerances for the PDP are tighter than in the SAs.
It was fun taking these two new guns to the range. I really can't wait to add these to my CCW when I renew in August.