18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

EMP reality

WSS01

Member+
2A
Messages
90
Any solid info on EMP's? I have just enough knowledge to cause problems. I have done some RF shielding with success but not for a tangible EMP. What frequency are we trying to block? What type of actual "amps" are we looking at from a legitimate high altitude blast? Open for discussion.

WSS
 
It will depend on the type of EMP. If a nuclear blast, and intent on creating the most damage with an EMP, it would be a high altitude detonation. If trying to protect sensitive devices that would be affected by the blast, you would need a Faraday cage with mesh that is smaller than the wave length. The wavelength could be anywhere from 100 KHz to above 100 MHz. So to protect sensitive devices, you would need a full enclosure of mesh less than 6mm. Similar to a microwave, the door is basically part of an enclosed Faraday cage blocking wavelengths in the GHz range.

There are other types of EMP attacks too, with a high altitude nuclear attack being the most effective and one blast could affect the entire United States. There's also other types of nuclear and non-nuclear blasts, microwave, and electromagnetic.

Also, anything with a conductor, say an alternator that has wires, just wrapping the alternator wouldn't cut it. The wires going into the alternator would allow for energy to flow through.
 
Last edited:
There's really not enough data to know.

After Starfish *Prime caused damage in Hawaii over a 1000 miles away as well as damaging satellites in orbit, upper atmosphere nuclear testing was banned.

So the magnitude and amplitude is really a rough guess even for the experts I believe.

A purposeful EMP blast could possibly knock out most electronics and electrical distribution on a sub-continental scale

(edit: change to Starfish Prime, per Darqhelmet's wiki link, my memory was off a bit)
 
Last edited:
Whats everyone tbought at the emp shield for vehicles?
From the protection aspect of a faraday cage (earlier mentioned by Diablous) the absence of a shield is the problem. The whole vehicle would have to be shielded in a fabric/material that is smaller than the frequency wavelength. A box that absorbs a E pulse is more like a lightning rod than a shield. That is just my thought, it may or may not be relevant to the vehicle protection (caveat emptor, buyer beware LOL)
 
My only concern is if the EMP rating on my safe will live up to its claim or not. I’m suspecting not which makes me want to swap the lock off for a mechanical one.
 
My only concern is if the EMP rating on my safe will live up to its claim or not. I’m suspecting not which makes me want to swap the lock off for a mechanical one.
Ya, if it is on the outside or visible, it will likely be exposed to the EMP. From what I hear, it is quick and painless.
 
Even the stuff I have in my home made faraday box?
As with any prep protocol, you likely need a second faraday cage. This would either be a redundancy or to accommodate different ranges.

As with most nuclear or other disasters, do you want to continue in this new world?
 
About 3 years ago, I repurposed a large Pelican case, I cannot remember the number. It was a cast off from my wife's underwater camera rig. I told her it sold for $150 on offerup. After completing the transaction and claiming ownership, I converted it to a faraday box. I lined it with titan faraday fabric from mission darkness. I also used their sponge seal kit and tape to complete it. As far as testing, it is mostly finger crossed sort of deal. It is all there and done according to research and "spec". For instance, any screws had tape applied on the hole and then the screw tightened/installed and then taped over again on top. The tests I did worked but were limited to bt, wifi and cell frequencies.

IMG_4641.webp

IMG_4642.webpIMG_4642.webp

IMG_4646.webp

IMG_4643.webp
 
As with any prep protocol, you likely need a second faraday cage. This would either be a redundancy or to accommodate different ranges.

As with most nuclear or other disasters, do you want to continue in this new world?
It is inside a locked ocean container (99% of the time, my luck, I will be in it when said EMP happens). not really a faraday cage but definitely brings it down to "leaks".
 
I don’t know much about it. I did read the entire “one second after” series and that was real interesting. The only thing I have done is replace my electric digital locks on my safes for manual combination locks. It was not that hard thanks to YouTube.
Other than that I have not really done that much for it. A CME or Carrington event would probably bring the same type of damage.
 
Last edited:
I mean if it happens the grid goes down, so who cares if you have stuff that made it. No power, no water, no comms. It’s fun to play around with, but it does you zero good as everything is interconnected, no system to use your stuff with. Maybe I’m missing something though.
 
Don't be a downer, he can talk to the other guys that prepped. There will be some.

8557ad134704d4e2463f44b97b02138a--spirit-animal-sci-fi.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom