18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Explain Single Shot Exemption conversion too me like im 5.

@BONECUTR

Also wanted to ask about ppt and drosing in its current configuration….I’m still on topic of the thread….

So, you know how some newer style sse has the make and model in a different name? During a ppt, for drosing in its current configuration; can the name be changed in the dros to its current configuration too ?
By the many posts you keep making about changing the Cal and shops telling you no I have a feeling you are over explaining and confusing the stores....

If you buy a Platapus SSE in .25acp....
some time later show up at ANY gunstore.
Hi Im here to PPT this (semi auto 9mm Platypus) to him/her.
The store is not going to ask for the original DROS to see how it was originally transferred. You could be LEO/Could be a Instra Familiar gift/You could be the 10th owner.
They have no idea and must transfer in the configuration its in.....assuming a legal one (no threaded barrel, ect)
 
By the many posts you keep making about changing the Cal and shops telling you no I have a feeling you are over explaining and confusing the stores....

If you buy a Platapus SSE in .25acp....
some time later show up at ANY gunstore.
Hi Im here to PPT this (semi auto 9mm Platypus) to him/her.
The store is not going to ask for the original DROS to see how it was originally transferred. You could be LEO/Could be a Instra Familiar gift/You could be the 10th owner.
They have no idea and must transfer in the configuration its in.....assuming a legal one (no threaded barrel, ect)
YES! I have PPT'd about 50 2011's both ways and have never had one question about its original configuration. If its a semi auto 9mm, then thats what its DROS'ed as and never had any issue. I have been to probably 20 gun shops to do these PPTs and never even heard of one saying if it started as a SS it has to remain, that is weird
 
By the many posts you keep making about changing the Cal and shops telling you no I have a feeling you are over explaining and confusing the stores....

If you buy a Platapus SSE in .25acp....
some time later show up at ANY gunstore.
Hi Im here to PPT this (semi auto 9mm Platypus) to him/her.
The store is not going to ask for the original DROS to see how it was originally transferred. You could be LEO/Could be a Instra Familiar gift/You could be the 10th owner.
They have no idea and must transfer in the configuration its in.....assuming a legal one (no threaded barrel, ect)

Should have been more specific again. What about non-conventional/traditional handguns where the magwell is not within the grip? Usually most FFL’s want to see the original dros to make sure it lists pistol on the Og dros. Only sse pistols I have any interest in buying that have magazine well within the handgrip are Ingram clones; not 2011’s.

So, if the SSE make says “US” on the Og dros, can the they or you (FFL) change the name to original or dros in its current configuration for the make and model on the new dros for a ppt, for that non-traditional/conventional handgun such as “Aero Precision”, “Velocity MAC”, “Zenith”. For model can they change it from the random name or dros in its current configuration for model to “X-15” or “M4e1” “VMAC 45” or “ZF-5”?

This situation is different than one where an FFL who doesn’t need to see a dros for something like a traditional/conventional handgun to make sure the OG dros says pistol such as sse 2011 from the newer style boat of sse such as platypus, or gen 4 Glocks from the old sse boat that closed. In that scenario, the ffl wouldn’t see or need to see the original dros but happen to come across some other name for make and model.

Of the sse pistols I have bought via ppt as semi auto were all from the old boat that closed; the make and model were all original. I have not bought from the new boat for ppt.

———————-
Separate from up there.
For that story, I asked only about action, I did not ask about caliber, I asked if for ppt if they were willing to dros the action in its current configuration which is semi auto even though the Og dros says SSE or SS. Thats all I asked. I said it was a MaC clone pistol, not banned by make and model, it was in a compliant configuration, muzzle brake was pin/welded. The pistol was from the old boat of sse that closed. I was told no, the action on the new dros for ppt still needs to list SS or SSE even though it currently is in a semi auto configuration. I didn’t ask the ffl anything about caliber or say anything about caliber in regards to questions to ppt.
 
Should have been more specific again. What about non-conventional/traditional handguns where the magwell is not within the grip? Usually most FFL’s want to see the original dros to make sure it lists pistol on the Og dros. Only sse pistols I have any interest in buying that have magazine well within the handgrip are Ingram clones; not 2011’s.

So, if the SSE make says “US” on the Og dros, can the they or you (FFL) change the name to original or dros in its current configuration for the make and model on the new dros for a ppt, for that non-traditional/conventional handgun such as “Aero Precision”, “Velocity MAC”, “Zenith”. For model can they change it from the random name or dros in its current configuration for model to “X-15” or “M4e1” “VMAC 45” or “ZF-5”?

This situation is different than one where an FFL who doesn’t need to see a dros for something like a traditional/conventional handgun to make sure the OG dros says pistol such as sse 2011 from the newer style boat of sse such as platypus, or gen 4 Glocks from the old sse boat that closed. In that scenario, the ffl wouldn’t see or need to see the original dros but happen to come across some other name for make and model.

Of the sse pistols I have bought via ppt as semi auto were all from the old boat that closed; the make and model were all original. I have not bought from the new boat for ppt.

———————-
Separate from up there.
For that story, I asked only about action, I did not ask about caliber, I asked if for ppt if they were willing to dros the action in its current configuration which is semi auto even though the Og dros says SSE or SS. Thats all I asked. I said it was an MPA MaC clone pistol, it was in a compliant configuration, muzzle brake was pin/welded. The pistol was from the old boat of sse that closed. I was told no, the action on the new dros for ppt still needs to list SS or SSE even though it currently is in a semi auto configuration. I didn’t ask the ffl anything about caliber or say anything about caliber in regards to questions to ppt.
What the hell are you talking about... Good lord. Now he's just trolling, right?
 
What the hell are you talking about... Good lord. Now he's just trolling, right?
Absolutely not trolling. What did your Og dros for your SSE say for make and model; not the dros from ppt but the actual one you received when you bought your sse brand new from the ffl? Was it the old sse boat that closed or the newer boat of sse; which one is it?
 
What you think is legal today can be made illegal tomorrow. Several times this state has turned my legally bought guns into crimes. No one can say or prove which gun, mod or aftermarket accessory will hold up in court or even if a LEO would notice or arrest you.

My once legal AR pistol became a legal liability. It was disassembled and the lower used with a rifle upper.

Seems only my lever rifles are safe here, for now.
 
What you think is legal today can be made illegal tomorrow. Several times this state has turned my legally bought guns into crimes. No one can say or prove which gun, mod or aftermarket accessory will hold up in court or even if a LEO would notice or arrest you.

My once legal AR pistol became a legal liability. It was disassembled and the lower used with a rifle upper.

Seems only my lever rifles are safe here, for now.
Legal liability?
 
And for the posts earlier in this thread I have written about my recent inquiry when asking Manzano’s about the ppt inquiry; since the thread topic was on SSE. Even though the person that answered said no, I am in no means saying I wouldn’t step foot into that store or bad mouthing them because when I first heard they opened, they were definitely a store that was needed in The Bay for the new sse boat, and actually had something different to offer in The Bay.

I have heard good things about them. They have helped me with a ppt there in the past while treating us with respect even though we were there for a ppt. They didn’t treat us like we weren’t even supposed to be there; which I do take into consideration.

I made sure to practice good etiquette by buying items as a thank you for helping us, have returned for other things, and I still would return if I happen to be in that portion of the bay as I am in the almost opposite end but also already have my local.
 
Absolutely not trolling. What did your Og dros for your SSE say for make and model; not the dros from ppt but the actual one you received when you bought your sse brand new from the ffl? Was it the old sse boat that closed or the newer boat of sse; which one is it?
it doesn't matter you are overthinking the CA DROS system...it's just a entry system, you can enter whatever make model serial # color action type...if the buyer passes back ground check.. it will just deliver and record. that's exactly how some guns hop sold non roster gun to people by entering different model name but correct serial #...as a matter I even saw M1A rifle DROSed as pistol...... ..how they kept their book and avoid being caught is different subject..
 
it doesn't matter you are overthinking the CA DROS system...it's just a entry system, you can enter whatever make model serial # color action type...if the buyer passes back ground check.. it will just deliver and record. that's exactly how some guns hop sold non roster gun to people by entering different model name but correct serial #...as a matter I even saw M1A rifle DROSed as pistol...... ..how they kept their book and avoid being caught is different subject..
Fanks
 
This isnt what you originally were talking about.

When a PPT is being done the dealer must do it the way its currently configured. Same for a DROS on a new SSE gun. It must be dros'd as it sits. Dealers are not going to correct that like it you pic up a gun and change the barrel from .40 to 9mm. The dealer is not going to correct that and you might not be able to list it on a CCW since it was DROS'd .40 but is now 9mm. Will depend on you IA
My EDC is a P229 in .40S&W, I much prefer .357SIG but I am not allowed to carry with the .357SIG barrel. I was advised by my qualifying instructor that if I wanted to carry it in 357SIG would have to put the barrel in and then transferred it back to myself in 357SIG and then qualify with it in 357SIG to add it to my LTC.

That just seemed like a lot of trouble so I tried running 357SIG ammo with the 40 Smith & Wesson barrel, but the bullets came out all sideways and it didn’t always cycle right so that kind of sucked.
 
Back
Top Bottom