18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Explain Single Shot Exemption conversion too me like im 5.

This isnt what you originally were talking about.

When a PPT is being done the dealer must do it the way its currently configured. Same for a DROS on a new SSE gun. It must be dros'd as it sits. Dealers are not going to correct that like it you pic up a gun and change the barrel from .40 to 9mm. The dealer is not going to correct that and you might not be able to list it on a CCW since it was DROS'd .40 but is now 9mm. Will depend on you IA
My apologies @BONECUTR. I did a quick type on that one after finding parking and before walking into Trader Joe’s for grocery shopping. I should have been more specific on how I typed that one and going back and editing. I meant changing the caliber when doing a ppt, pawn return, or consignment reject.

You sound like an ffl I would be willing to do a ppt at; and return for other things to support just because of that. Yeh, maybe we should all head over to your place 🤣.

So, what are some possible reasons some of FFL’s don’t want to change the caliber, or action on the new dros during a ppt; I.e. drosing in its current configuration?
 
@BONECUTR

Also wanted to ask about ppt and drosing in its current configuration….I’m still on topic of the thread….

So, you know how some newer style sse has the make and model in a different name? During a ppt, for drosing in its current configuration; can the name be changed in the dros to its current configuration too ?
 
My apologies @BONECUTR. I did a quick type on that one after finding parking and before walking into Trader Joe’s for grocery shopping. I should have been more specific on how I typed that one and going back and editing. I meant changing the caliber when doing a ppt, pawn return, or consignment reject.

You sound like an ffl I would be willing to do a ppt at; and return for other things to support just because of that. Yeh, maybe we should all head over to your place 🤣.

So, what are some possible reasons some of FFL’s don’t want to change the caliber, or action on the new dros during a ppt; I.e. drosing in its current configuration?
If a FFL doesn’t want to DROS it in a legal configuration, I’m walking out and going to a store who will. And I’d never return to that FFL. The only thing I can see ever being an issue is a semi auto AR Pistol. If the current owner doesn’t have original DROS showing it was registered as a pistol, I could see FFLs being hesitant. In this case I’ve always called and explained the situation
 
Very curious who is selling SSE Macs!
2A zone and a couple others sell them in Socal. There might be 1 or 2 places in Sacramento. Manzano used to sell them in the bay but they stopped. Mine is also for sale rn too if you want one (Look at my profile)
 
2A zone and a couple others sell them in Socal. There might be 1 or 2 places in Sacramento. Manzano used to sell them in the bay but they stopped. Mine is also for sale rn too if you want one (Look at my profile)
Why do I have a feeling I know you based on your user name and also that set up……hint: NRA certified _ _ _?
 
Last edited:
They have been doing it for 2011's. Dont tempt fate and buy a SSE gun like that and ever take it anywhere other then the range. Do not put it on your CCW either, thats stupid. You can do a PPT for any gun off roster and then put that on your CCW but not a SSE gun as it wasn't intended to play that way. The SSE can just get you a few options that aren't on the roster list, but they should be used just for enjoyment or safe queens
This is why i have never been interested in them. However the time has come for a range toy.
 
The Cal DoJ has referred to SSE pistols needing to be born as SSE in official guidance documents to FFLs. SSE exists, legislators are aware it exists, and the Cal DoJ more or less regulates how tightly it's controlled. Banning them outright would require a change in statute. It also functions as a pressure release valve. SSE allows high end pistols to enter California that would likely otherwise generate plaintiffs to challenge the roster. So yes, it's a tolerated gray area that would be EXPLICITLY shutdown if the legislators really wanted to. So let the lawyers and the shops worry about it, and enjoy your F-ing Atlas while you eat crow. Leave the Platypuses to us poors.
I saw a sickkkkk 9mm ar pistol that might be time for. Id love a platypuss but not if i cant carry o
It my hd p4 fixed that issue.
 
If a FFL doesn’t want to DROS it in a legal configuration, I’m walking out and going to a store who will. And I’d never return to that FFL. The only thing I can see ever being an issue is a semi auto AR Pistol. If the current owner doesn’t have original DROS showing it was registered as a pistol, I could see FFLs being hesitant. In this case I’ve always called and explained the situation
Have you encountered any? Or made the call to ask prior to? I have. Had one that turned into an argument over the phone explaining SB23 and how it’s legal in terms of characteristics; they calmed down and said they just didn’t want that kind of pistol on their books.
 
Is there a reason you see these mostly/only with 2011s vs a P226 x5, for example? Does it have something to do with the frame? Or is it more of a market driven thing (higher margin on high end guns, or something like that?).
I mostly see the jacob grey and watch towers in 25 acp with a 9 inch barrel.
 
on the other hand, if you sold it to a friend and later time your friend don't like it anymore and sold it back to you or someone else, it gets DROS as a regular 9mm semi-auto pistol???
Correct thsts why they are super carzy priced. Like the ar pistols.
 
2A zone and a couple others sell them in Socal. There might be 1 or 2 places in Sacramento. Manzano used to sell them in the bay but they stopped. Mine is also for sale rn too if you want one (Look at my profile)
Last time I called Manzano about a ppt, about a month ago (?), I asked if their ppt policy allows dros in its current configuration, original dros said ss but current configuration is semi auto; they told me no.

Maybe call ahead of time since I noticed your preferred says Manzano; maybe they might dros in its current configuration for a product that was originally bought from them. Or maybe if buyer doesn’t mind that it still says ss on the dros.
 
Not legal.....The FFL transferred it as a .25acp. Altering that info would be illegal. They can make a correction if they put in the wrong caliber by accident but this is not the scenario you are talking about here.
Youd be seeing alot of 25 acp platypus
 
You have a rifle, you change the barrel and caliber and eventually part with it. How is it any different? My assumption is that most people on here care more then the ffl does. Like an ffl I frequent, I've seen twice now with m1a's with flash hiders... MAC's in any configuration are absolutely bottom tier trash guns. I've been behind originals. Give me a $400 discontinued pistol in a gunfight any day.
 
Last time I called Manzano about a ppt, about a month ago (?), I asked if their ppt policy allows dros in its current configuration, original dros said ss but current configuration is semi auto; they told me no.

Maybe call ahead of time since I noticed your preferred says Manzano; maybe they might dros in its current configuration for a product that was originally bought from them. Or maybe if buyer doesn’t mind that it still says ss on the dros.
Good to Know thanks. Im not sure of any other ffls in the bay that would be willing to do a ppt on one
 
anyone will PPT any gun even if it started as Single shot. It will be PPT'd as a 9mm or 45 and that is now what it is for life.

Also in sacramento, Sac Black Rifle is selling jacob grey's and other 2011s as SSE brand new at msrp
 
Good to Know thanks. Im not sure of any other ffls in the bay that would be willing to do a ppt on one
I’m not saying they won’t ppt it. It’s just if they are willing to input the new dros info in its current configuration which is semi auto instead of SS; and also if you or the potential buyer cares what it states for the action.

They told me no. They might tell you yes because you may have bought it from them in the past.

There are FFL’s that I know of that wouldn’t want it on their books; but there are others who wouldn’t mind ppt’ing it, question is what is their policy on ppt’ing that? Even though it’s in a legal configuration some FFL’s might want to dros as semi auto reciever only, or fully assembled currently semi auto but only willing to dros in original action of ss and then same caliber of .25 acp (not semi auto and not 9mm).

The good ones will dros as fully assembled semi auto 9mm pistol; given that the muzzle device weld doesn’t have any cut marks (clean or dirty) where them they would require to have it disassembled to dros as semi auto receiver instead; have had this happen before as the buyer.
 
Last edited:
I’m not saying they won’t ppt it. It’s just if they are willing to input the new dros info in its current configuration which is semi auto instead of SS; and also if you or the potential buyer cares what it states for the action.

They told me no. They might tell you yes because you may have bought it from them in the past.

There are FFL’s that I know of that wouldn’t want it on their books; but there are others who wouldn’t mind ppt’ing it, question is what is their policy on ppt’ing that? Even though it’s in a legal configuration some FFL’s might want to dros as semi auto reciever only, or fully assembled currently semi auto but only willing to dros in original action of ss and then same caliber of .25 acp (not semi auto and not 9mm).

The good ones will dros as fully assembled semi auto 9mm pistol; given that the muzzle device weld doesn’t have any cut marks (clean or dirty) where them they would require to have it disassembled to dros as semi auto receiver instead; have had this happen before as the buyer.
So Manzano is saying that they won't DROS a 2011 as a currently configured 9mm if it was originally DROS'd as a .25? That seems very unusual, given that they seem to be the main source of SSE 2011s in the Bay Area at .25s, while reasonably knowing these will be converted into 9mm.
 
So Manzano is saying that they won't DROS a 2011 as a currently configured 9mm if it was originally DROS'd as a .25? That seems very unusual, given that they seem to be the main source of SSE 2011s in the Bay Area at .25s, while reasonably knowing these will be converted into 9mm.
I didn’t say anything about dros caliber in current configuration specifically; I was talking about action. So, it was for a different make and model of MAC clone pistol. They told me no on changing the original dros of SS to semi auto even though the pistols current configuration is semi auto. I don’t know if it would have helped if I would have said the party has bought from them before or had the other party call themselves saying they have bought from them before can you help us out. I didn’t ask about caliber dros as current configuration; dros as 9mm. We ended up going to a shop that I have bought from/main store I usually go to, had experience in before the old sse boat that closed, that was willing after I did a walk in and explained the situation; downside was we needed to set up an appointment instead of walk in.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom