18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Extensive Handgun/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Rating Chart

Bird Popcorn GIF
Lmao
 
The P226/P229 are more reliable from what I’ve seen
Thanks. Based on your ranking, you have the Glocks rated as more reliable than the Sigs. Do you think Glocks are more reliable than the P226/P229 Sigs? I’ve shot both platforms and probably have over 20,000 rounds combined between them. I literally can count on one hand the number of malfunctions I’ve had for Glocks and Sigs combined. Just curious on your thoughts. Not challenging your ranking (it is your ranking after all). Just curious on your feedback.
 
Thanks. Based on your ranking, you have the Glocks rated as more reliable than the Sigs. Do you think Glocks are more reliable than the P226/P229 Sigs? I’ve shot both platforms and probably have over 20,000 rounds combined between them. I literally can count on one hand the number of malfunctions I’ve had for Glocks and Sigs combined. Just curious on your thoughts. Not challenging your ranking (it is your ranking after all). Just curious on your feedback.
From my completely made up personal experience:

P226 and Glocks seem to be about the same reliability, as in ultra reliable. P226 did better than even than the M9 in reliability tests for the DoD. The striker fired Sigs seem just a little worse, but absolutely acceptable. Your experience makes sense since I've never seen even one malfunction with my MK25. I shot a P365 that brand new had issues with entering battery until it was shot like 100 times. The first round my M18 shot stovepiped, though that is the ultra tight mags fault. Since then it has been ok.

Per the DOD test: "
The main reliability standards were MRBF and MRBS.

MRBF = rounds between actual gun/parts failures.

MRBS = rounds between stoppages that have to be cleared.

The Army wanted 5,000 MRBF and 2,000 MRBS.

The SIG M17/M18 did well enough to win, but the official testing still showed problems. With the 147gr special purpose/JHP ammo it mostly met the requirement. With ball ammo, the numbers were bad. The XM17 had 343 MRBS and the XM18 had 197 MRBS. There were also documented double-ejections where a live round got ejected with the spent casing.

In later operational testing with actual military shooters, the guns met MRBF but failed MRBS again. A lot of that was slide-lock issues, partly from shooters riding the slide catch.

There was also the drop-fire issue. SIG fixed it with a trigger/mechanism change and the fix was validated afterward.

So yes, SIG won the contract. No, the M17/M18 did not pass testing flawlessly. The official DOD reports showed ball-ammo reliability problems, double-ejections, drop-fire before the fix, and poor MRBS in operational testing. "

So the A- is a summary across the brand, the MK25 IMO is a solid A++ lol possibly the best all around handgun ever made.
 
From my completely made up personal experience:

P226 and Glocks seem to be about the same reliability, as in ultra reliable. P226 did better than even than the M9 in reliability tests for the DoD. The striker fired Sigs seem just a little worse, but absolutely acceptable. Your experience makes sense since I've never seen even one malfunction with my MK25. I shot a P365 that brand new had issues with entering battery until it was shot like 100 times. The first round my M18 shot stovepiped, though that is the ultra tight mags fault. Since then it has been ok.

Per the DOD test: "
The main reliability standards were MRBF and MRBS.

MRBF = rounds between actual gun/parts failures.

MRBS = rounds between stoppages that have to be cleared.

The Army wanted 5,000 MRBF and 2,000 MRBS.

The SIG M17/M18 did well enough to win, but the official testing still showed problems. With the 147gr special purpose/JHP ammo it mostly met the requirement. With ball ammo, the numbers were bad. The XM17 had 343 MRBS and the XM18 had 197 MRBS. There were also documented double-ejections where a live round got ejected with the spent casing.

In later operational testing with actual military shooters, the guns met MRBF but failed MRBS again. A lot of that was slide-lock issues, partly from shooters riding the slide catch.

There was also the drop-fire issue. SIG fixed it with a trigger/mechanism change and the fix was validated afterward.

So yes, SIG won the contract. No, the M17/M18 did not pass testing flawlessly. The official DOD reports showed ball-ammo reliability problems, double-ejections, drop-fire before the fix, and poor MRBS in operational testing. "

So the A- is a summary across the brand, the MK25 IMO is a solid A++ lol possibly the best all around handgun ever made.
Thanks. I will pass along a story you make like. In the first 5,000 rounds my Sig P220 had three malfunctions during a year of IPSC type matches. They were all fixed with a tap and rack and I didn’t stop to diagnose. It’s quite possible I did something to cause it but it was during a match so hard to tell. Three rounds in 5,000 was unacceptable to me. I sent it back to Sig and they performed what is called a police action special in which they smoothed the feed ramp, etc. Over the next 5,000+ round no malfunctions. For my Sig P226, the first magazine ever in it, the slide didn’t lock back. No problems since and around the 5,000 round mark I sent it back to Sig for routine spring change outs/inspection and while there I had a police action special done as well. On one of my G19 pistols, I had one failure to return to battery but I’m about 90% certain I limp wristed it. Gotta have at least 5,000 rounds through it. I’ve only got maybe 1,000 rounds in total between two Sig P365 pistols and no issues so far but a relatively low round count. Generally speaking, in terms of pistols, I tend not to worry about malfunctions for the first several hundred rounds as parts wear and settle in. If there is an issue past 500 rounds that occurs on any frequency, I send it back to the manufacturer.

For hammer fired pistols, I agree that the P226 might be the best pistol ever made (or the P227 if you like .45 ACP more than 9 mm). Would be a good problem to have all the top hammer fired pistols and to shoot 10,000 plus rounds through them to more thoroughly evaluate. I don’t have that amount of time and I settled on Glocks and Sigs as the only brand of pistols I own and sold all the others. Didn’t want to continually be chasing other brands. What I had were excellent and I’d rather put more rounds through my Glocks and Sigs than experiment with others.
 
Last edited:
That's fair too. However I did notice guns like my P226, my Sig 1911 Scorpion and my Walther PDP were flawless out of the box and didn't "need" a break-in. It's probably a good idea to shoot a few hundred rounds and let everything wear in as you say, and then see if there are still issues. Both the P365 and my M18 "broke in" and don't have an issue anymore. The magazines seem to also be unbelievably tight. Letting them sit fully loaded and inserted for a couple weeks seems to break them in.
 
I wish I could like the 226, such an iconic pistol.

But I can’t hit the side of a barn - from the inside, haha!! - with a Sig and I’ve tried them all.

The only Sig I have is a surplus M17 and that’s only because it’s surplus. I’ve even got the Romeo M17 on it and still can’t hit, haha!!
 
Man wish I was still 25! Cope and seethe, as they say. Not everyone can afford top tier military optics, I get it.

Didn’t have the balls or intelligence to argue your point but had the time to make cheap personal attacks behind the keyboard. We both know you’d never say that to my face though.

Where do you live at?
ahahahaha you wanna fight over forum posts? Jesus you really are a child.
 
Scared of your wall to wall counseling? Not surprised. You’d fold so fast haha
No i’m old enough to not care. But tired enough to just throw you on ignore and not have to deal with a child raging against what ever you think you are.
 
My Geissele super duty has the tightest tolerances I’ve ever seen on a piece of mass produced machinery.
 
Back
Top Bottom