18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Open Request Forum for Discussion of Military Weapons

This is open for discussion or for the time being
 
The entire defense of these vehicles is the angled hull. Seems like a hopping mine like a bouncing betty with a magnetized face and a shaped charge would completely circumvent such a simple defense if there were many of these vehicles you were concerned about.

Ultimately the roll over issue seems far more exploitable though even small charges to attack the tire on the rear or front side would greatly disable it.
 
The entire defense of these vehicles is the angled hull. Seems like a hopping mine like a bouncing betty with a magnetized face and a shaped charge would completely circumvent such a simple defense if there were many of these vehicles you were concerned about.

Ultimately the roll over issue seems far more exploitable though even small charges to attack the tire on the rear or front side would greatly disable it.
Not at all.
They are protected all around the hull is just the strongest part as it is the most likely spot for a large explosion to happen
 
Not at all.
They are protected all around the hull is just the strongest part as it is the most likely spot for a large explosion to happen

Yes but a face parallel shaped charge defeats like 6" of heat treated steel readily is what I'm sort of getting at. The primary design benefit of these vehicles over their counterparts is the V-hull effectively channels an IED blast around the hull protecting folks inside the vehicle. I'm suggesting that it would actually be relatively elementary to design a format of IED that completely invalidates this design.
 
Damn, that does look A LOT like a Willys Jeep.
Funny, because our Weapons Company still used Willy’s Jeeps during the 90’s as mobile weapons platforms and they fit in the CH-53 Helicopters.

They were at the end of their life as they broke down a lot due to crew served weapons, troop, pack, ammo weight and age. I remember one snapped in half. After I got out they moved on to the dune buggies FAV (Fast Attack vehicle).

Now back to a modern “Willys jeep”. What’s old is new again.
 
Last edited:
Funny, because our Weapons Company still used Willy’s Jeeps during the 90’s as mobile weapons platforms and they fit in the CH-53 Helicopters.

They were at the end of their life as they broke down a lot due to crew served weapons, troop, pack, ammo weight and age. I remember one snapped in half. After I got out they moved on to the dune buggies FAV (Fast Attack vehicle).

Now back to a modern “Willys jeep”. What’s old is new again.
When I bought my 4 door Wrangler in 2007 I went by a Border Patrol checkpoint on Hwy S2 north of I8. I stopped, got out and showed the crew my new Wrangler.

Back then BP was still driving the 2 door Jeep TJ. I showed them the extra room in the back, the fold down seats and my off road lift and mods.

I showed them that it could also transport two captures in the rear.

Needless to say they loved it. I said they would be driving these soon enough. Two years later the TJs were retired and replaced with 4 door Wranglers. That JKU model is also used by several European militaries.
 
100% but the problem is getting a IED in place and close enough (shape charges need to be close) just right to hit the flat part.

That's why I was suggesting a bouncing betty with a magnetic ring plate that secures the shape charged to perpendicular to the V hull before firing the charge.

If you wanted to be clever about it you could recognize when the magnets are securely fixed as a circuit break to detonate the charge. Just a ponderance.

This entire exercise cartoon included was just a point that this thing isn't quite as valuable for the designed purpose as folks might advertise it to be.
 
Why would it?
As tempting as it is to descend into that particular rabbit hole, I’ll refrain — perhaps because, after more than a decade in the U.S., I’ve yet to fully understand why certain circles persist in treating me as a second-class person
 
As tempting as it is to descend into that particular rabbit hole, I’ll refrain — perhaps because, after more than a decade in the U.S., I’ve yet to fully understand why certain circles persist in treating me as a second-class person
Not knowing which culture you are from, there are a lot of very insular nations (broad generalization) that are not accepting of members of different cultures. The people of the United States have always made it hard on immigrants; Irish, Italian, black and brown especially hard and super hard on poor immigrants and people who can't communicate in English. However, I think the US is better with immigrants than most other nations with the notable exception of places like Canada, at least we used to be.

Now, we are becoming.... you know what, I don't know what we are becoming but, it certainly doesn't resemble the spirit of the Statue of Liberty that inspired the sonnet; The New Colossus by Emma Lazarus:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
 
Back
Top Bottom