18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Friendly reminder - clean and lube your new firearm before using it

TheAverageShooter

Active member
Messages
139
Had an interesting experience recently. Was shooting at the range and the guy next to me was blasting away with his Glock 19, then he pulled a brand new SIg P365 out of the box and it kept jamming with FTE/FTF, etc. I'm thinking to myself - I thought these things were reliable.

Before I could ask the guy what is up, a RSO stepped in and asked the guy if it was brand new. The guy said yes, then the RSO asked if he cleaned it before coming and he said nope. I said hang on and pulled some oil out of my bag and the RSO stripped and lubed the guy's 365 on the frame rails and the barrel/slide points. Slapped it together and it ran perfectly after.

I know lots of people get away with not cleaning lubing a new gun before using, but sub compact pistols seem to be more finicky and also many other semi-auto rifles don't like to be run dry/or with the factory goop.

I'm sure most readers here know better, but figured a friendly reminder may be helpful for newer folks.
 
Reminds me of my P-01 mags. Bought 2 mags off gunmagwarehouse and CONSTANTLY had FTF issues. Thought it was my gun. Turns out my mag springs had to get oiled first. Can be very frustrating.
 
Reminds me of my P-01 mags. Bought 2 mags off gunmagwarehouse and CONSTANTLY had FTF issues. Thought it was my gun. Turns out my mag springs had to get oiled first. Can be very frustrating.
it's about to go down the four GIF by Diddy
 
Had an interesting experience recently. Was shooting at the range and the guy next to me was blasting away with his Glock 19, then he pulled a brand new SIg P365 out of the box and it kept jamming with FTE/FTF, etc. I'm thinking to myself - I thought these things were reliable.

Before I could ask the guy what is up, a RSO stepped in and asked the guy if it was brand new. The guy said yes, then the RSO asked if he cleaned it before coming and he said nope. I said hang on and pulled some oil out of my bag and the RSO stripped and lubed the guy's 365 on the frame rails and the barrel/slide points. Slapped it together and it ran perfectly after.

I know lots of people get away with not cleaning lubing a new gun before using, but sub compact pistols seem to be more finicky and also many other semi-auto rifles don't like to be run dry/or with the factory goop.

I'm sure most readers here know better, but figured a friendly reminder may be helpful for newer folks.
Same thing happened with my new SP-01! Once I learned the importance of cleaning/lubing it never happened again.
 
I said hang on and pulled some oil out of my bag and the RSO stripped and lubed the guy's 365 on the frame rails and the barrel/slide points. Slapped it together and it ran perfectly after.

This is the very reason why I always pack a small bottle of Gun lube as well as basic maintenance tools (Glock punch, pocket flathead screwdriver, Holosun sight adjustment tool, etc.) in each of my range bag/range box. You never know when you may have an issue, or worse, the guy next to you is having an issue.
 
I usually run them wet for the first 100 rounds or so. I figure it will help clean out the old factory oil and any swarf made during break in. Has always worked well for me
 
This is the very reason why I always pack a small bottle of Gun lube as well as basic maintenance tools (Glock punch, pocket flathead screwdriver, Holosun sight adjustment tool, etc.) in each of my range bag/range box. You never know when you may have an issue, or worse, the guy next to you is having an issue.
Yep, I also keep same common batteries and a few common parts in mine as well. Cleaning patches and an old t shirt is also handy.
 
I lube and cake my milsurps, handguns, ar's, ak's, etc in oil after the gunrange everytime. It became a habit for me after my grandpa taught me the importance of it. Never had any problems
 
Had an interesting experience recently. Was shooting at the range and the guy next to me was blasting away with his Glock 19, then he pulled a brand new SIg P365 out of the box and it kept jamming with FTE/FTF, etc. I'm thinking to myself - I thought these things were reliable.

Before I could ask the guy what is up, a RSO stepped in and asked the guy if it was brand new. The guy said yes, then the RSO asked if he cleaned it before coming and he said nope. I said hang on and pulled some oil out of my bag and the RSO stripped and lubed the guy's 365 on the frame rails and the barrel/slide points. Slapped it together and it ran perfectly after.

I know lots of people get away with not cleaning lubing a new gun before using, but sub compact pistols seem to be more finicky and also many other semi-auto rifles don't like to be run dry/or with the factory goop.

I'm sure most readers here know better, but figured a friendly reminder may be helpful for newer folks.
Yeh, I remember helping some one out at the range with their brand new ar that kept malfunctioning. They didn’t clean or lube it. I pulled out my Lucas extreme duty gun oil and helped them out with a quick lube. Semi auto worked fine after that; told them it’s better than packing up and going home.
 
well, my GF's brother ask me to fix his glock 19...I thought how the fucck can a bone stock gen 3 19 be broken....sure did, the trigger is extremely hard to pull and requires almost nagant revolver type of trigger weight, to a point you can't pull the trigger to field strip the gun....took apart, did a quick wipe down and hose it with some oil and it went 100% functional.. He never even clean the gun after buying and must have gone though thousands of rounds...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom