I completely agree, it def was a jerk move. This all happened a while ago, I'm guessing over more than a decade when obtaining CCWs were tougher. Out of my small friend (8-9 of us) group, we used to hunt a lot and the topic of CCW came up quite often. When Sac county was starting to issue with only "self defense" he applied and was the first in our group to obtain his CCW. I reside in OC and at that time, they made the process more difficult than it was worth. Although, there was a short window when OC only required "self defense" as a good cause but they reverted back quickly. I came close to applying but didn't because of what my friend went through.
I wasn't there to witness what happened and I don't think he'd make the story up just for sh*ts-n-giggles. Now a days, with more agency issuing and possibly more run ins with permit holders, it probably doesn't happen as much (or at all).
Whether anyone wants to believe this or not, it's up to them. Make the best judgement and always follow directions from LEO when given and everything should be ok. Only reason I asked this question was because there was a video I saw few months ago where the individual was removed from his vehicle, the lady officer went to disarm him and sent a round down his leg.