18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Glock 34 newbie - home defense failure to feed

@sonofgene, actually no, if you read back the slide and dot came from a friend for free. If I had to pay for it I would be waiting at least a year for the upgrade. Unfortunately that friend is back east so direct assistance isn't really possible.

For the Federal ammo, in San Diego stores its $35 for a 20 round box of Federal HST (124g or 135g at discount gun mart, but the same or more at turners and the other local spots). Thats why I am shooting the range ammo that is $13-14 for a box of 50.
Get some less expensive hollowpoints so you can train AND carry them.
 
You might also consider buying an actual Glock 34 slide. Probably less trouble in the long run.

 
Get some less expensive hollowpoints so you can train AND carry them.
How much do the local shops charge to be the FFL for delivery of ammo ordered over the internet?

and @boltstop sure eventually that would be desirable to get a glock mos slide. But the Brownell slide + trijicon dot were $0 (gift from a friend who was upgrading from red dot to green dot). My options are to use it (brownell slide + dot) or to use stock+iron, there is no equipment upgrade coming in the near future.

I would prefer to keep using the dot, and its been reliable with everything except for the Corbon rounds. I'd have to go count boxes on the shelf to be exact but I sent about 350ish S&B 124g target and 100 Blazer 115g target through the Brownell/dot combo with no issues. If I could get that reliability from a defense round that would be ideal. At the online prices quoted above, thats actually an option where local purchase of any defense ammo (San Diego) seem to start around 1.50/round
 
How much do the local shops charge to be the FFL for delivery of ammo ordered over the internet?
I don't know because I have an 03FFL and a COE which makes me exempt.
Targetsports ships it directly to me.
I also don't have get hit with the extra 11% tax that you pay at retailers.

Call your local shops and see what they charge to receive ammo.
 
How much do the local shops charge to be the FFL for delivery of ammo ordered over the internet?
Do some research on a number of internet retailers, particularly their shipping policies. What you find may pleasantly surprise you.
 
I am a newbie and may use incorrect terminology here, feel free to let me know when I use the wrong terms...

I have a Glock 34 that I bought in late March. I have about 6-700 rounds through it. The stock slide was replaced with a used Brownell slide with an optic donated by a friend. Until today I had been firing 124g S&B or 115g CCI Blazer without a single issue. Recently I got 40 rounds of Corbon 9MM+P 125HP to be the home defense rounds (because they were cheap, $18.99 for 20). I took some to the range today to test and just fired 10. 9 fired fine. One failed to feed 4 times out of 2 different magazines. Retrospectively I wish I had taken a few pics of it to see if there was any damage that could have caused it but it wasn't obviously damaged at a glance.

So obviously this corbon ammo is not gonna be trustworthy for defense. How can I find an alternative that won't require extensive testing of pricey rounds to keep as my defense ammo? Is it safe to just buy Federal or Speer and shoot 10 to be sure they are good? Is there a place to look for what brands the glock may dislike (I thought it was supposed to eat anything. Could it be the slide?). Keep in mind I am what they call "a cheap bastard" and don't want to burn a lot of money that would be better spent on training and range time.

How frequent is your maintenance on the gun? I've noticed aftermarket parts require more frequent cleaning otherwise they tend to have reliability issues. I use Hornady Crititcal Defense in my G17.3 and they have been very reliable. You can usually find them on sale for about $24.00 for a 25 round box. I ran through a box to test and I replace my ammo every six months. I assume you're using stock glock mags which are very reliable. I had some issues with aftermarket glock mags so now I run OEM and PMags exclusively.

In the past, when I've shot +P ammo, it induced more failures because my form was sloppy (limp wrist). I was not applying enough force for the +P even though it was sufficient for the 115 Blazer.
 
Two things:

1) Use the stock parts.

2) A well tested quality round nose ammo that you shoot all the time is preferred, IMO, to 10 rounds of a self defense round.

No shame in shooting ball ammo. It will put holes in the target.
 
Two things:

1) Use the stock parts.

2) A well tested quality round nose ammo that you shoot all the time is preferred, IMO, to 10 rounds of a self defense round.

No shame in shooting ball ammo. It will put holes in the target.
Yeah, because why select a round based on its intended use??? People dedicate entire careers to understanding ballistics, and ammo manufactures invest millions in research to create 9mm rounds that are comparable to .45 only for someone to jump on and tell the OP, "just use white box, it makes holes". :LOL::LOL::LOL: Solid advice!
 
Yeah, because why select a round based on its intended use??? People dedicate entire careers to understanding ballistics, and ammo manufactures invest millions in research to create 9mm rounds that are comparable to .45 only for someone to jump on and tell the OP, "just use white box, it makes holes". :LOL::LOL::LOL: Solid advice!
Thanks for your input . It’s nice to have different opinions, perspectives, takes, etc.
 
How frequent is your maintenance on the gun? I've noticed aftermarket parts require more frequent cleaning otherwise they tend to have reliability issues. I use Hornady Crititcal Defense in my G17.3 and they have been very reliable. You can usually find them on sale for about $24.00 for a 25 round box. I ran through a box to test and I replace my ammo every six months. I assume you're using stock glock mags which are very reliable. I had some issues with aftermarket glock mags so now I run OEM and PMags exclusively.

In the past, when I've shot +P ammo, it induced more failures because my form was sloppy (limp wrist). I was not applying enough force for the +P even though it was sufficient for the 115 Blazer.
I clean & lube after every range day. Stock Glock mags, literally the slide (Brownells) is the only non-stock part.

I totally believe that Hornady/Gold Dot etc are better. Lets say they are 50% better stopping. If I miss the shot its infinitely worse. A hit with ball is better than a miss with the best possible 9mm silver bullet. I am gonna look into what I can afford from online retailers delivered to a local shop, but that will be next months allottment of $$. Till then the ball ammo (and the #00 buck in the shotgun) will be the go to.
 
Last edited:
I clean & lube after every range day. Stock Glock mags, literally the slide (Brownells) is the only non-stock part.

I totally believe that Hornady/Gold Dot etc are better. Lets say they are 50% better stopping. If I miss the shot its infinitely worse. A hit with ball is better than a miss with the best possible 9mm silver bullet. I am gonna look into what I can afford from online retailers delivered to a local shop, but that will be next months allottment of $$. Till then the ball ammo (and the #00 buck in the shotgun) will be the go to.

Sounds good. If you're going to carry Gold Dot, Speer makes a cheaper range ammo (Lawman) that is supposed to replicate Gold Dot performance. Some of my buddies who carry Gold Dot practice with Lawman.
 
Just try different ammo, even stock Glock slides don't always like every kind of ammo. Brownells slides are good it's probably not the slide. If it does it with other hollow points then you can try messing with parts but until then don't change a bunch of variables. It's definitely not preferable but it is totally possible to use regular ass ball ammo for self defense. It's certainly preferable to rounds that don't feed though.
 
Would a range be bothered if I were to swap slides out in the lane? It occurred to me I can bring the stock slide next time I am in with the Corbon hollowpoints and if I get another fail to feed I can swap slides and try again.
 
Troubleshoot with OEM slide, then go from there. I have run several types of HD ammo through my glocks with no issues. I am also running a Brownells g48 slide + glock store parts kit on a 43x frame with no issues. But start with the OEM slide and check if the same issues persist.
 
Like other have suggested amything for ccw or home defense you leave stock period. If you have to use it any DA will prosecute you and ring up the enhanced parts or aftermarket changes you made and say it wa sto be more lethal. Ot is the CA way. Also dont get cheap woth life saving ammo. Buy the HST or hire any critical duty. It is reliable and works every time.
 
Back
Top Bottom