18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Glock 43 Hogue Grips, mag doesn't drop

Shellbackitup

⚜️ Member
CAguns Supporter
Messages
176
Classified ads
2
I put a Hogue HandAll grip sleeve on my G43

It fits my hand great; I have better grip, accuracy, and feel.

Only problem is that my mags don't drop free anymore. They are easy to slip out but are held *just* enough not to fall freely

Before I hit it with a heat gun, and see if I can stretch out the sleeve, I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. Never had this issue before

One note, I installed it cold, and took my time slipping it on.

Any suggestions on whether I should hit it with a heat gun while it's on the gun, or off it? Maybe heat and stretch? I don't want to have the frame soften and get deformed by the sleeve, so I'm leaning towards removing it and heating it, then reinstalling with an empty mag in the gun.

Uncharted waters for me.

Thanks for any input

 
Flexing the plastic probably. Glocks aren’t exactly known for being premium grade lol. It’s a cheap plastic gun so messing with it can induce these failures. Maybe contact the company
 
Flexing the plastic probably. Glocks aren’t exactly known for being premium grade lol. It’s a cheap plastic gun so messing with it can induce these failures. Maybe contact the company
Indeed, it's flexing the plastic.

The problem goes away without the Hogue sleeve grip, so the easy answer is to remove the sleeve.

But I'd like to try and get it to work.

I have other carry pistols including steel and aluminum frame ones, but I like having a featherweight pocket pistol option too, for hot days like today, and am planning on getting rid of my other polymer pocket rockets.

I have an industrial heat gun and can get the sleeve warm/hot and try stretching it. Just wanted to get feedback on stretching it out
 
Flexing the plastic probably. Glocks aren’t exactly known for being premium grade lol. It’s a cheap plastic gun so messing with it can induce these failures. Maybe contact the company
Glocks are the Honda Civic of guns.

Mid-range price, but reliable as hell.

I've shot thousands of rounds thru Glocks and never had a single FTF or FTE, no matter what ammo I throw at them, which I can't say about many other guns I both own and have shot.

I prefer steel framed pistols but Glocks have their place. And this one's place is in my shorts pocket lol
 
Those things are on tight. I'm wondering if it's squeezing just enough at the bottom of the grip. Maybe scoot the grip up a bit more?
Tried moving it up and down, no difference.

Seems to squeeze it just enough.

I'm also using Shield Arms mag release and both OEM and Shield Arms extended mags. Forgot to mention that.

Its 102F today (at the freaking beach) so I REALLY don't want to have to go out to the garage and move a ton of things to try and find my heat gun. It looks like I might have to in the morning.
 
I installed mine relatively easily without heat. (after a couple of rough installs) I used the back side of a set of smooth needle-nose pliers inside the sleeve and gently worked/stretched it open a little at a time while pulling it onto the grip. Since yours only seems to be squeezing the magwell enough to barely retain the mag, you might try stretching the sleeve mechanically first rather than using a heat gun. I'd definitely try that before putting heat anywhere near the frame.
 
I installed mine relatively easily without heat. (after a couple of rough installs) I used the back side of a set of smooth needle-nose pliers inside the sleeve and gently worked/stretched it open a little at a time while pulling it onto the grip. Since yours only seems to be squeezing the magwell enough to barely retain the mag, you might try stretching the sleeve mechanically first rather than using a heat gun. I'd definitely try that before putting heat anywhere near the frame.
No issues with mag drops on yours?

Maybe I'll stick some shims of some sort in there and see if after time it stretches. Or buy a 2nd one and see if it isn't as tight (Mfg tolerances are a thing, and mine might be extra tight)

The Hogue sleeve completely changed the gun for me and there aren't really any other options.

Worst case I can live with the 9+1 capacity and just practice pulling the mags. And hope I never have to during an adrenaline dump lol
 
Zero issues, even with empty mags. I'm sure I stretched the material as I went.

I agree the grip makes a huge difference on a snappy little so-and-so.

View attachment 260765
I might buy a 2nd one and just see if that fixes it

That $15 (edit:now $20) is cheaper than the time it's going to take me to find my heat gun. I packed that away deep planning for a move that got delayed.
 
Last edited:
Indeed, it's flexing the plastic.

The problem goes away without the Hogue sleeve grip, so the easy answer is to remove the sleeve.

But I'd like to try and get it to work.

I have other carry pistols including steel and aluminum frame ones, but I like having a featherweight pocket pistol option too, for hot days like today, and am planning on getting rid of my other polymer pocket rockets.

I have an industrial heat gun and can get the sleeve warm/hot and try stretching it. Just wanted to get feedback on stretching it out
Have you considered selling it for great profit and then finding our lord and savior Walther PDP? lol lol
 
I might buy a 2nd one and just see if that fixes it

That $15 is cheaper than the time it's going to take me to find my heat gun. I packed that away deep planning for a move that got delayed.
You can use a hair dryer no worries, but it didn't really help me get my grip on. The needle-nose were the secret to a relatively painless install and avoided heat or Windex, which I didn't like the thought of at all.
I agree, just buy another one and try that first.
 
I have a Houge grip on my 43 with no problems releasing the mag. You might want to check of the bottom of the Hogue grip at magwell. My sides and front of the grip are a skoosh higher on the grip and the back is a little more. Also be careful on a heat gun on a polymer frame.
Wrong gun?
 
Mine has been on my 43 for about 18 months I cut up my wife's credit card, JKL, an old credit card for strips for front and back of grip and used windex (which will evaporate) and warmed up the Hogue with a hair dryer plus using needle nose plyers towards the end.
I just muscled that thing on mm by mm. That might be my problem.

Stretching for a week or two, and then maybe giving it a hairdryer treatment, is probably worth it to wait on buying a 2nd grip
 
Back
Top Bottom