18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Grail gun acquired!! DWX Compact

weaverftw

⚜️ Member
CAguns Supporter
Messages
927
Well guys I just purchased my absolute grail gun, an off roster Dan Wesson/CZ DWX Compact in 9mm. She’s still sitting in jail right now (pick up next Monday) and I’m SO excited!

My grail gun for a long time was a DW/Les Baer/Wilson Combat 1911 but I spend most of my fun money on racing cars and never really jumped the gun and justified spending thousands on a pistol… but when I learned about the DWX I fell in love with its beautiful aesthetics and simplicity and immediately knew I had to have one. Having just gotten my CCW I decided to get the compact over the full size (especially after reading how flat/soft it shoots for a compact pistol). After handling it in person, it’s honestly the most good looking gun I’ve ever held. I don’t like flashy, shiny, gaudy stuff so many 2011s feel like a bit too much to me, but this thing strikes the perfect balance.

I’ve learned that CZ 75s (esp with thin grips) just feel amazing in my hands and point more naturally than any other pistols; I have to fight (or remember cues) with certain pistols like Glocks or Sigs or 1911s to get the sights to line up naturally when pushing out from a draw, but CZs just tend to land right on target effortlessly. That CZ grip on the DWX plus the incredibly accurate 1911 upper setup with the sweetest trigger design produced today made the DWX a match made in Heaven for me.

While I’m not stoked about paying $1000 more for a pistol compared to what others in free states pay (this was my first off roster purchase), I know it will be worth not compromising on what I really want. Many past gun purchases have involved a compromise on price that I’ve regretted later; no longer!

The thing fits my hands perfectly, the trigger felt amazing, the side was TIGHT, and it just looked beautiful. A couple of the LGS employees came over and asked to see/hold/dry fire it while we did the PPT (I expected this so I brought a lock for the case while it’s in jail lol). I’ve never been so excited to pick up a gun after the ten day wait and can’t wait to shoot it! Already ordered OWB and IWB holsters, some nice Vytal grips (and some Lok/Cool Hand of various flavors to fine tune the grip), some new CZ75 compact mags and new baseplates, and thinking about an ambi safety but will wait for that until I shoot it stock. Tempted to have CGW work it over at some point, but will likely not do that except for the ambi safety maybe since I have my CCW now and plan to replace my G26 with this on the permit (plus the trigger is so good OTB why mess with it). Thank god I lawfully possess compatible mags from freedom week already that will work with it!

Anyways, sorry for the novel, I just had to share my excitement with folks who get it because most of my family and friends would think I’m nuts for being smitten with a hunk of metal. Thanks to the member I bought it from and I think he knows it’s going to a good home. I tried my best to hide my excitement when we did the PPT but I think I failed lol. Couple preliminary pics below but will post a full range report in just over a week! 😁😁😁 IMG_3199.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3198.webp
    IMG_3198.webp
    78.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3195.webp
    IMG_3195.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3194.webp
    IMG_3194.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Congrats! I used to lust for those as well, but ended up going straight to 2011s. They are beautiful guns, and hadn’t I not sold all of my CZs and been so deep into 2011 mags, I’d still buy one. Let’s hear how she shoots when you break her out
 
Picked it up today and WOW now that I’ve spent some time going over it, I’m even more obsessed. Everything is tight, no wiggle in the slide/frame, barrel locks up tight, trigger is perfect (slight take up, crisp 4ish lbs break, quick tactile reset), seems to be very accurate.

I shot about 200 rds through it after a quick lube and I’m in love. Fits my hands perfectly, shoots so flat and effortlessly, feels like the front sight barely bumps up before falling right back on target.

Took it home, field stripped it and cleaned/re-lubed it fresh, and tried a few different Cool Hand/Guuun grips. I think I like the partial golf ball ones with a thin red stripe to match the trigger, they look nice and are the grippiest. Will test them out tomorrow.

Can’t believe I spent this much on a pistol but MAN everything about it is just perfect; I never knew what people meant when they said you can tell the build quality on a nice gun, but everything just looks perfect. No machining marks etc, everything is smooth and symmetrical, it’s F-ing amazing I can’t stop looking at it and dry firing it lol.

Pics below!

IMG_3243.webp
IMG_3245.webp
IMG_3237.webp
IMG_3234.webp
 
I was mostly so enamored with the pistol that I didn’t focus too much on what drills I was doing; I did some slow fire and rapid fire at 7 yards, went out to 15 and 25 to see where the zero was (seems to be a bit left but I’ll have others shoot it and try to bench it before drifting anything), and just generally 🍆ed around having fun with it. I kept smiling and chuckling about how great it felt, I think I was making others at the same concerned about my mental health lol

Shot mostly 115gr fmj but also tried a few different hp loads (147 HST, 115gr Critical Defense, and a S&B 100gr 1300fps load) and it ate everything, zero malfunctions.

VERY happy with it so far!!

IMG_3227.webp
IMG_3231.webp
IMG_3229.webp
 
Those grips are a little too busy for me, BUT beautiful gun.
Yeah they’re borderline for me, I will leave em on for a bit and decide. They’re really grippy though which I like compared to the black frag stock grips which don’t really bite at all. I have 3 other grips on order to test out too, both mostly black with either red accents or multicam accents
 
Nice!

I landed a full-size DWX last year and love it. Been running it in USPSA competitions, and it is a great platform. Only complaint is that DW dropped the ball on the slide finish, and it is already visibly starting to strip off after four matches. Unfortunate, but I still love the gun.

 
Nice!

I landed a full-size DWX last year and love it. Been running it in USPSA competitions, and it is a great platform. Only complaint is that DW dropped the ball on the slide finish, and it is already visibly starting to strip off after four matches. Unfortunate, but I still love the gun.

That sucks, I’ve read that it’s hit or miss. Some had significant wear early on and others claim 10s of thousands of rounds and thousands of draws with no visible wear; either way I will still love it, I’ll just get it refinished someday.
 
Also got a couple less flashy grips; I like the grey full golf ball grips but they aren’t as grippy as the striped partial golf ball ones. I have some Vytals on order and once I figure out if I prefer palm swell or thin, I’ll probably order a set of Loks too. Need to try some palm swells next as these are all thin.

I got 5 that were the normal CZ 75 style with the rounded top that goes up another 1/2” or so but they looked dumb so they’re all going back.
IMG_3241.webp
IMG_3239.webp
IMG_3238.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom